PDA

View Full Version : Dodge this

hrgiger
06-03-2003, 07:37 AM
After asking about this on CGTalk, it seems there's not really an easy way to do this in Lightwave and I think it would be a good addition to LW.

We should have a slow motion feature through the graph editor or scene editor that would allow us to smoothly turn our motions into slow motion. Also, we should be able to ramp it so that the motion just doesn't sharply change from fast to slow but rather a gradual change. Think Trinity on top of the building with the gun up to the agent's head. She pulls the trigger, he starts to fly back fast but then he gradually slows as he's being thrown back onto the rooftop.

I've tried doing it in Premiere but it gets a little jerky (like there's not enough frames to display the motion smoothly) and I haven't had much luck by just scaling keys in the scene editor.

Karl Hansson
06-03-2003, 07:50 AM
Have you tired cranking the FPS up so that LW renders more frames per second. Then change the framerate of the movie back to 30fps that should give you slow motion. However ramping it is a bit harder.

Karmacop
06-03-2003, 08:16 AM
Make an actor in Motion mixer with every object in the scene. Record from when you want the bullet time to start and end. Play with the speed of the motion in there.

hrgiger
06-05-2003, 11:35 AM
I think there should just be an easier, more intuitive way of doing it. An interface of it's own would be nice. It's such a common effect anymore.

Karl Hansson
06-05-2003, 11:43 AM
If there were an object method for that controls fps in LScript then that wouldn't be a to hard plugin to write.

Karmacop
06-06-2003, 03:12 AM
I agree, some sort of FPS envelope would be quicker, the point is it's not impossible in Lightwave at the moment. It doesn't require that much work either, but it is an unnecessary step.

Sebastian G.
06-06-2003, 07:05 AM
Apply this plugin to your animated objects:

http://www.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/TW/

It's an item motion handler, so it will not influence animated displacements, only rotation, translation, scaling.