PDA

View Full Version : LightWave v9 Now Available

Kurtis
07-13-2006, 10:44 AM
NewTek, Inc., manufacturer of industry-leading 3D animation and video products, today announced the availability of the latest release of LightWave 3D version 9.0, the next generation of the Emmy-winning 3D application. The new release is the first in a series of major rewrites and restructuring of LightWave 3D's core with the addition of comprehensive new features such as a node-based materials editor, optically correct cameras, adaptive pixel subdivision, Catmull-Clark subdivision surfaces, sub-surface scattering and vast render speed improvements.

Full Press Release (http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/07-13-06a.html)

For those who have pre-purchased LightWave v9, the upgrade will be available in a number of different configurations:

The FREE LightWave v9 electronic upgrade will be available through the NewTek registration system by download. The downloads will include: LightWave v9 Program, Online Help, Content and PDF Manuals.
The LightWave v9 Program CD along with the Content & 3rd Party Bonus DVD will be available for a nominal fee of $19.95US, for those who prefer to have the media. This $19.95 Media Convenience pack comes in the LightWave v9 CD case.
A full LightWave v9 Convenience Upgrade with Program CD, Content & Third Party Bonus DVD and the 3-manual set in the LightWave v9 box is available for $99US.

If you reside in North America you may acquire the LightWave v9 Media Convenience Pack or Full Convenience Upgrade through our online shop at shop.newtek.com (http://shop.newtek.com) or by calling customer service at 1-800-862-7837. NewTek Europe customers may purchase through the NewTek Europe website at www.newtek-europe.com or contact NewTek Europe customer service by phone. If you purchased your upgrade through a distributor or reseller we recommend that you contact your distributor or reseller to inquire about receiving the LightWave v9 media.

GregMalick
07-13-2006, 11:49 AM
Congratulations to the NewTek Team!

Great job. :thumbsup:

Bog
07-13-2006, 12:00 PM
Woohooo! Great job, guys (and girls!) It's been great being on the Beta, and I hope you're all feeling proud as punch, like new parents.

JML
07-13-2006, 12:03 PM
I bought an upgrade for lw9 from lw8 a few months ago, does that mean
I won't get a box now it's out ? and only a download?

I would have to pay to get the cd or pay even more to get the box ?

am I understanding this right?

mj3
07-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Kurtis has said that unless you bought ver 8 with a free upgrade to 9 (download only) you will get the media in the mail.

geothefaust
07-13-2006, 12:17 PM

That is correct. That's how it's been presented from the begining.

BazC
07-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Congratulations, you've all done an amazing job! I've thoroughly enjoyed the beta testing too. LW is looking good for the future! :D

Steve Reeves
07-13-2006, 12:21 PM
Congratulations and thank you Newtek!

LW rocks :)

Safe Harbor
07-13-2006, 12:24 PM
Just a reminder to those who purchased LW8 from us and got the free upgrade to 9... this will be shipping to you on CD from us, not from NewTek. At this point in time, it is not available via download. Should something change we will update you.

We will be getting the CDs from NewTek next week and your upgrade will ship as soon as we can.

MooseDog
07-13-2006, 12:26 PM
quite a job by the entire team:thumbsup:

open beta was brilliant, loved it.

the art coming from this will be fantastic.

:goodluck: to everybody

hrgiger
Glad to see it finally rolling. Thanks for all the hardwork Newtek!

Igu4n4
I don't see lw9 available on the downloads page inside your profile.

Just lw8-64 and regular 8 (plus updates). All registration is there...

not up yet?

Steve.

Nemoid
07-13-2006, 12:28 PM
woo hoo !! congrats to the whole team !! :lwicon:

blabberlicious
07-13-2006, 12:39 PM
Jolly good show, NT!

:thumbsup:

I have a fresh key via NT Europe - but nothing to download!

Mark
07-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Dear All,

registration process works fine (generating license numbers and inviting you to get your LW9) until you get to the 'my downloads' section and the file (or in fact anything at all) is not there. Newtek Europe is on holiday tomorrow! I hope they're working hard to get the download ready otherwise people will have a frustrating weekend. Final version is rc23 (corrected by Moderator).

Keep hoping, Mark.

JeffRutan
07-13-2006, 12:48 PM
Has anyone actually successfully downloaded 9.0 today?

My Products lists new license keys for 9.0 and insturctions to go to My Downloads to get the upgrade, but 9.0 does not appear in My Downloads???

I thought it might be a Mac thing, but tried in Windows XP with same results.

Is it really ready yet?

-Jeff

Intuition
07-13-2006, 12:55 PM
I just downloaded it about 10 minutes ago.

As I am running it through my usual tests I am going to have to say this is the best Lightwave release I have ever experienced since my Lightwaving began with 4.0 when it came to PC.

Great work Newtek! :thumbsup: :newtek: :D

Its a really nice upgrade.

ZBrush compatible
Nodal surfacing
Edge modeling
faster rendering in huge scenes
My openGL can now do huge scenes very well.
on and on I could go.

There is still room for adding new stuff, as there alwasy will be, but I'd say this is a great leap foreward.

mj3
07-13-2006, 12:57 PM
Mark,

You say final version is RC24? Mine says RC23. What is the final version?

[Moderator Note: RC23 is the final version. We have corrected the information in Mark's post.]

Igu4n4
07-13-2006, 12:59 PM
where did you download it from? It's not available in the registration download area.

Lot's of hungry waver's ready to dig in here! can't dangle a carrot like that!! ;)

Steve.

Intuition
07-13-2006, 01:25 PM
Um, lemme see if I can remember the steps.

1. Logged in to the registration page.

2. Instead of clicking on the "click here now banners I went to the "My downloads section on the right.

3. I then downloaded LW9.

After downloading it I registered it using my dong;e number code and it gave me the 32 and 64bit serial numbers I needed to authenticate my permanent lic.

:D :lwicon:

Igu4n4
07-13-2006, 01:34 PM
weird... it's not there.

pre-registration of lw9 all good... shows up under products etc etc...

have gone to my downloads all ways possible.. just has lw8-64 and lw8-32 (plus updates).

okay there's a camera hidden in the room somewhere isn't there... I have a sign on my back don't I...

don't tease the animals! ;)

Steve.

dgon64
07-13-2006, 01:35 PM
Tried that-didn't work for me-hmm this is confusing.

JeffRutan
07-13-2006, 01:39 PM
I did a complete Empty Cache and still got the same results.
I also logged on to a PC that I had never used before on the NewTek site and I got the same results.

I am wondering if only Beta participants are getting the downloads, or if NewTek is phasing in / staggering the download options to prevent overloading their servers?

-Jeff

Am I missing something here???...

MooseDog
07-13-2006, 01:56 PM
Um, lemme see if I can remember the steps.

1. Logged in to the registration page.

2. Instead of clicking on the "click here now banners I went to the "My downloads section on the right.

3. I then downloaded LW9.

After downloading it I registered it using my dong;e number code and it gave me the 32 and 64bit serial numbers I needed to authenticate my permanent lic.

:D :lwicon:

ditto.

it's gotta be frustrating being in charge of this kind of operation, where [email protected]!t goes wrong at random.

good luck:thumbsup:

dgon64
07-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Yeah I get the same thing so maybe it is only for the beta guys. Oh well-time to be patient.

Kurtis
07-13-2006, 02:01 PM

Please see the information I posted here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53874 - post #15

Plakkie
07-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Oh good, so it's not only European users this time?
Registered my free LW9 upgrade, gone to the "My download" tab, and...

...nothing...

it's blank. Zippo. Nada. If anyone else is experiencing this too, please post a reply, it's comforting to know you are not the only one.

Maybe they are spreading the download? Sounds reasonable...

Waiting waiting, and pressing F5, it's 14 february all over...

JML
07-13-2006, 02:04 PM
Please see the information I posted here:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53874 - post #15

that make sense.

oh well, I guess I'm going to spend the 100$, I got to have the lw9 box :)
(and manuals)

JeffRutan
07-13-2006, 02:06 PM
Kurtis, Are the beta participants getting it first and the rest of us have to wait?
Please just tell us what the deal is so we can settle down and get back to work.
Thanks,
-Jeff

Plakkie
07-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Jeff, I'm beta, and still haven't got it.

Plakkie
07-13-2006, 02:12 PM
Hope Kurtis understands it's the old enthousiasme kicking in again. Like having to stay in bed with Christmas until it is morning.
Where are the stockings?

Igu4n4
07-13-2006, 02:21 PM
ya for sure.. no offence in anyway, it's not a matter of WTF is going on over there.. it's more a matter of...

"woo, shiney!.. gimme gimme"

now seriously.. wtf is it. :twak:

Steve.

Igu4n4
07-13-2006, 02:47 PM
and the gods looked down on the moral 'wavers.. and said..

let there be [9] in the downloads...

and there was...

and the gods said it was good...

and it was...

and there was much rejoicing...

... and the mortals looked for new blood... and camped out on Steve Worley's doorstep.

Steve.

Emmanuel
07-13-2006, 02:58 PM
Just read the press release, I wished they would delete that "mesh editing in Layout" thing ...

Kurtis
07-13-2006, 03:02 PM
For those that are having trouble registering, you will need to contact Customer Service for your area.

For those that are able to register, but are having trouble seeing the download links, this problem should now be corrected. Please try again.

Bitboy
07-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Hi Kurtis.

Here's 2 images of what I'm getting when trying to download, in both Firefox and IE:

http://www.bitboy.dk/LW9-Firefox.jpg
http://www.bitboy.dk/LW9-IE.jpg

So basically, I've got my key, but no download.

Kurtis
07-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Our MIS department tells me this is what our servers do when they get overloaded, such as now. We are currently at 10x our highest normal bandwidth usage. Please try again later.

dgon64
07-13-2006, 03:21 PM
I just downloade LW9-32 but get the same error message as Bitboy when trying to download LW9-64 so I guess I'll play with LW32 for a while till the 64bit download problem gets worked out.

Bitboy
07-13-2006, 03:22 PM
Ok, Thank you Kurtis. And congratulations with the release.

I'm extremely satisfied with the beta program, and I sincerely hope you will repeat this with future releases.

Thank you from a very happy customer :)

:lightwave

Rayek
07-13-2006, 03:38 PM
Yes, those servers are smokin'... I had to try 5 or 6 times to get a download slot. But it's downloading now! Just 10 more minutes, now....

Thanks 3d-programmer-guys at Newtek!

Bitboy
07-13-2006, 03:42 PM
Woohoo! Got through and I'm downloading.. It'll be a loooong night. :D

Thor Simpson
07-13-2006, 03:44 PM
Got it downloaded and running fine here. Thanks, NewTek!

Cageman
07-13-2006, 03:53 PM
Hmm...

Why am I redirected to US when I really should be downloading from Europe?

Anyone?

Cageman
07-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Another question... can someone point me to where I login on my account over at NT-Europe... it seems ONLY new users can register a new name, but users having an account are to know a...secret page? Or somthing?

I just don't get this....

Imatk
07-13-2006, 04:14 PM
Says my serial number is invalid.

Bog
07-13-2006, 04:18 PM
Kurtis, Are the beta participants getting it first and the rest of us have to wait?

Nope. But we do have Very Nearly LightWave 9 to play with, so it makes the waiting a bit easier. If I were you, I'd settle back down with 8.5, realise that everybody and his brother is trying to download it simultaneously (I read someplace that NewTek's servers are currently under ten times their maximum rated load!) and look forward to Monday. Well, and the party. :)

Steve Reeves
07-13-2006, 04:27 PM
Cageman, yes this confused me to.

You need to set up an account at newtek.com (not Europe) - and register your LW9 serial number there. Then the download will be available.

All registrations are now being done in the US. Like me you probably don't have a NT Europe login - you just need to create a user on the US site. Took me a while to sort it out - it's not massively clear.

HTH

Cageman
07-13-2006, 04:40 PM
it's not massively clear.

HTH

LOL, you can say that again! I got the downloads to work from NT, but it is so slow. Ohh... and I was trying to register with my original serialnumber (the one that I got with LW8.3). I got the message that I should register at NT-Europe, which I ignored and went for "My downloads"...

goodrichm
07-13-2006, 04:40 PM
My NewTek downloads page now only lists the LW9 files.

My VT4 and LW8 files are not there anymore!

Anyone else have this happen to them? Mark

Bog
07-13-2006, 04:55 PM
goodrich,

I'm assuming NT have pulled all Non-9 downloads just to prevent the servers actually going to their knees. Normal service resumed shortly and all that, I feel certain.

Steve Reeves
07-13-2006, 05:01 PM
LOL, you can say that again! I got the downloads to work from NT, but it is so slow. Ohh... and I was trying to register with my original serialnumber (the one that I got with LW8.3). I got the message that I should register at NT-Europe, which I ignored and went for "My downloads"...

:) I did something similar - there is a page on the US site that says you must enter the 8 serial number first. So I did and it told me I had to register it on the Europe site. At this point I had gone to NT Europe - told to register on the US site and then told to register 8 before v9 (my mis-understanding!), with which I was told to go back to NT Europe!!! Aaaarggghhhh! I did swear.

Cup of cha latter, and the logic (or lack of) of what I had done became clear. Use the 9 serial number on the US site. Easy :)

After all that, I can't download the bloomin' thing - it'll wait until tomorrow - or when ever that lot across the pond in the US clear off home ;)

cresshead
07-13-2006, 05:06 PM
i think i'll call and get the disc version over here in u.k. as it's not too much cost wise..

Bog
07-13-2006, 05:12 PM
When I finally swap my release candidate for Release Nine Point Oh, and run it for the first time, I shall shout "Boink!".

Because, as we all know.... Scientific Progress goes "Boink!" :D

kief
07-13-2006, 06:02 PM
Congrats Newtek! Awesome upgrade!!!!!!

lunarcamel
07-13-2006, 06:22 PM
Yaya - mine's crashing constantly. Great job!!!

Now to figure out why ;)

Bog
07-13-2006, 06:32 PM
Have you tried turning it off and on again? ;)

Auger
07-13-2006, 07:42 PM
When I finally swap my release candidate for Release Nine Point Oh, and run it for the first time, I shall shout "Boink!".

Because, as we all know.... Scientific Progress goes "Boink!" :D

Bog,
If you have the latest release candidate - RC23 - then you already have the final version. That's what I downloaded this morning as the final version. :lwicon:

Steve Reeves
07-14-2006, 12:30 AM
Yaya - mine's crashing constantly. Great job!!!

Now to figure out why ;)

Is this the first time to LW9 or did you do the beta thing? If this is your first experience of 9 and you have a dual core machine plus an nVidia graphic card it could be a driver issue with OpenGL. It affected a few of us on the beta programme.

Read:
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?p=370194

I am using drivers 91.33 with no issue now.

Don't know if that helps but thought I'd post in case.

DiedonD
07-14-2006, 02:22 AM
Ahhhhhh..... Theres just nothing finer than when good things come to you on their own. You lay down and read a newspaper, your wife just comes there and kisses you just out of the blue, while watching TV both children come and hug you, while you sit on the executive chair NewTek gives you free upgrades out of the blue.... This is great, life is wonderful... now lets hope it works after I download it, I dont mind cause theres NewTek support team waiting for me if it doesnt (waves to supoprt team "HI") and Im not in a hurry anyway, and lets hope "they" increase the daytime clock from 24 hours per day to something more like 30 or 32, so I could have more time to work with this latest version.

:lwicon: :lwicon: :lwicon: :newtek: GO NEWTEK :newtek: :lwicon: :lwicon: :lwicon:

starbase1
07-14-2006, 04:03 AM
:) I did something similar - there is a page on the US site that says you must enter the 8 serial number first. So I did and it told me I had to register it on the Europe site. At this point I had gone to NT Europe - told to register on the US site and then told to register 8 before v9 (my mis-understanding!), with which I was told to go back to NT Europe!!! Aaaarggghhhh! I did swear.

Cup of cha latter, and the logic (or lack of) of what I had done became clear. Use the 9 serial number on the US site. Easy :)

After all that, I can't download the bloomin' thing - it'll wait until tomorrow - or when ever that lot across the pond in the US clear off home ;)

I'm still utterly confused!

The Europe site does not recognise me, and I get a couple of unlabeled boxed when I go to the forgot ID page.
Where do I go on the US site?
And what is the ID I need? The europe site says that it is NOT the form ID I am using right now...

Can someone tell me step by step what a Europe user needs to do to get at it?

Yours (VERY) impatiently!
Nick

colkai
07-14-2006, 04:10 AM
Ahhhhhh..... Theres just nothing finer than when good things come to you on their own....
A fine post sir, a fine post.
:lightwave

BazC
07-14-2006, 04:29 AM
The instructions are all here (http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/products/lightwave/index_lw9.html). It worked OK for me, click on the Download here button, it will take you to the US registration page. You will probably have to create an accout. Once you have an account login and you should see a page with 2 LW9 banners and a LWCAD banner. Click on the top LW9 banner which reads "Your upgrade is available, click here now" and follow the instructions. I used the serial that appeared on my Vue5i CD case but I think that will depend on which upgrade version you bought.

Baz

Phil
07-14-2006, 04:43 AM
goodrich,

I'm assuming NT have pulled all Non-9 downloads just to prevent the servers actually going to their knees. Normal service resumed shortly and all that, I feel certain.

I'm surprised NewTek didn't go with a torrent-based download. It would have prevented server death and also would have meant, on average, faster downloads for us. *shrug*

Bog
07-14-2006, 05:08 AM
'm still utterly confused!

The Europe site does not recognise me, and I get a couple of unlabeled boxed when I go to the forgot ID page.
Where do I go on the US site?
And what is the ID I need? The europe site says that it is NOT the form ID I am using right now...

Can someone tell me step by step what a Europe user needs to do to get at it?

Yeah, I had a "Nuhhh?" moment when I searched all my old emails for a username and password. It finally occoured to me that this is a whole new thing, and that I had to register. It only takes a second.

starbase1
07-14-2006, 06:04 AM
Yeah, I had a "Nuhhh?" moment when I searched all my old emails for a username and password. It finally occoured to me that this is a whole new thing, and that I had to register. It only takes a second.

Sorry, I still don't get it...

I bought the upgrade some months ago, and have not been on the beta program, if that makes a difference.

Do I need to go near Newtek Europe? Or do I register from scratch on the US one. (I too have been searching old emails!) And which of the many possible numbers do I need to enter?

Arggh!

Bog
07-14-2006, 06:12 AM
I didn't need to enter any numbers - I clicked on the LW9 link on the NT-Europe page, clicked the "New Registration" link, filled out my Essential Details (but no actual serial numbers or owt) and wamalamadingdong, that's the 9 Download Page.

starbase1
07-14-2006, 06:21 AM
Excellent Bog! Thanks for the help *(I'm trying to get everything worked out so I can download when I get home!). I owe you a beer - trurn up at one of the London meetings to claim your free drink!

Nick

DogBoy
07-14-2006, 07:56 AM
You will need you upgrade serial number to generate your license keys. It will be the serial number on your Vue CDs (at least it was for me).

I'll be home by 5:30 at the latest, Nick. If you want I'll go through it wi' you over phone, IM or Skype I'll be happy to help.

Dan