PDA

View Full Version : Pivot Adjusting???

06-03-2003, 07:26 AM
Hi , i have been running through some of the tutorial's on simplylightwave and i have encounterd a problem i can't get passed?After creating the skelegons in modeler then bringing them into layout i wanted to adjust 3 bones wich where not rotating correctly.Now the first one (Spine1) Adjusted just like i wanted but the other 4 (thie&shine_L&R) dident.
I get them to the right position using the pivotrotation tool but after that i cant seem to make a Keyframe to keep them inplace???

Ps:Thanks for any Hint's ^_^

eblu
06-03-2003, 08:52 AM
in modeller there is a "edit skelegons" tool, this highlights the selected skelegon strand in blue, and draws spheres at the end of each skelegon. It Also creates a line from each skelegon that marks one of the planes of rotation (h or P i keep forgetting which), by moving this, you can adjust the planes of rotation, but you have to re-transfer the skelegons into bones.
its a visual process, trial and error will teach you most of what you want to know.

toby
06-03-2003, 05:49 PM
also, pivot point transformations cannot be keyframed -
Adjusting bones in Layout is the hard way, you have to know what you're doing (and no, I don't)

06-05-2003, 03:33 AM
Thx it's working all smooth now (animating like mad now).
Thanks for the quick help^_^
:) :) :)

meanlebh
02-24-2004, 07:13 PM
I know this is an old thread, but I have been having some problems with this as well.....I have been using the edit skelegons tool in modeler...but for some reason even after I reconvert all the skelegons into bones, it still doesn't update at all.....the bones rotate in the same directions each time, no matter how i adjust them in modeler...any suggestions? PLEASE!!!!

toby
02-24-2004, 09:07 PM
I trust you are converting the updated skelegons into new bones?

meanlebh
02-24-2004, 10:51 PM
Yeah, I have converted them probably at least 15 times, trying to get it to work...but no luck still........somebody please help me.....

toby
02-24-2004, 11:48 PM
One thing I noticed is that if you load an object that's already in the scene, it doesn't seem to actually read the file - just copies what's already open. Save it as a new object before loading it and converting to bones. I was able to change the bank of the bones by turning the lollipop on the skelegons, but I don't see how it helps - you may have to rotate the pivot point in Layout.

I've done this, it works fine: save a new scene, rotate the pivot point at frame 0, re-rest the bone, save and clear the scene and re-load it to check that the deformation stays correct.

meanlebh
02-26-2004, 07:52 AM
Thanks for the advice....I will try this out and see if it helps.

Thanks again.

toby
02-26-2004, 08:56 AM
When I said 'rotate the pivot at frame 0' I should have mentioned that the bones have to be at their original, reset positon ( which is what you should have at frame 0 )

meanlebh
03-02-2004, 10:07 PM
I have gone in and rotated the bones to the positions that I need...and everything seems to be fine (everything rotates, keyframes, and renders fine)...but then I get another problem....when I clear the scene, or quit lightwave, and then reload it, the fingers (which are the bones that I changed the rotation on) are all messed up and twisted around as if I pysically rotated the bones around.....why does it seem to work as long as I don't exit out of LW? When you say that they have to be at their "reset" position, what exactly are you talking about? Do they have to be completely reset, or do they just have to be the way that they are in Modeler in the model?......can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong..... :(

toby
03-02-2004, 10:30 PM
That's what I meant when I said

save and clear the scene and re-load it to check that the deformation stays correct.

When I said 'reset' position, I meant original, or as they came in from modeler. You should always keep everything in the original un-animated position at frame 0, and do your pivot rotations at 0.

I don't know why they sometimes don't work when re-loaded ( I'd have to be a programmer), just keep trying, it should work after a few tries

meanlebh
03-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Thank you again....again I will try this....I guess I thought that all I had to do was save the scene once I had rotated everything...I should have ready your reply closer....I missed the part about reloading the scene....my mistake.

Thanks