PDA

View Full Version : Save layers as objects

broli
07-13-2006, 06:41 AM
Hello there again, I came across a certain process where I have to export each layer as a seperate object using the layers name to determine the .lwo name in the modeler. So an automated process would be real nice to save the whole bunch at once instead doing it one by one manually. Thanks in advance for the help.

Edit: I decided to throw in another questions in this thread, sorry for not being able to change the thread's name, anyway;

b)I'm atm ussing Arrlay to clone my object in the y direction in the Layout but the problem is that I want it to align exactly at the bottom of the clonee, so I need to have the exact height of the boundry box of the object so I can input it as the offset parameter in ArrLay. How can I do this.

What I did think about is that if you are being able to do a ctrl+c clone and then drag the object down and use something like "boundry box snap", then you can see how much you went down and actually just copy paste the y value minus the previous y value it was on. To get an idea of what I'm doing...it's basically one very long pillar an shall exist of one section that's being tiled in the y axis...

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/9935/tile2so.th.jpg (http://img375.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tile2so.jpg)

Emfrobia
07-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Hmmmm.... not sure if there is an automated process for exporting object layers. I guess you'll just have to do it manually, unless anyone else on the forum has any ideas.
As for the second question, if the box is aligned with the grid, why not just use grid snap? There might be a snap to object though... but i kinda doubt that there's a snap to bounding box command.

evenflcw
07-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Since you only need clones layed out along an axis you could also create x amounts of clones and offset them from inside the Property tab in the Scene Editor. See attached image. Using the Step variable you'll be able to set the desired offset. This value is applied additivly and in the order you selected the cells in the spreadsheet (notice the tiny digits in the Selection Zone). This way you'll be able to quickly find a satisfactory offset by trial and error. Just keep changing the value and hitting apply. For some reason the Preview option didn't work for me and I had to scrub the timeline after I hit Apply. But it's plenty fast anyways.

EDIT: Forgot to attach image. All the nulls/clones were first created in the same spot then offset via the Scene Editor.

Rayek
07-13-2006, 03:55 PM
Saving all layers to a seperate lwo-file is no problem when you use Accutrans3D. Download the fully functional trial at:

www.micromouse.ca

Load the lwo-file, choose "save with options" and use lwo advanced. Make sure you check the option "write one layer per file". It'll save every layer as a seperate file.

I found this small app a most worthy addition to my toolset. It solved many a problem I had with object conversion and other problems I experienced regarding export and import of 3d-objects., etc.

If you find it to be usefull, be sure to buy a (cheap!) license. It's really worth it. Support by the author is just excellent.

Cheers,

R.