PDA

View Full Version : UK LightWave Training Over-priced?

philip kelly
06-03-2003, 05:03 AM
Good day.
I hope find you all well.
I have a problem.
I was looking for someone to give lightwave 3d training , and after searching, I came across a company in england.
But the price they quoted was 600 Sterling a day.
That equates to 1000 euros a day.
Is this the norm, or are they taking the micheal.
I personaly thing it is ridiculous, after all how much can you possibly learn in one day?
Can I have someone elses opinion on this.
I am based in Dublin Ireland.

Thank you in advance.

phil

Chuck
06-03-2003, 08:32 AM
Please try less inflammatory and more informative thread titles in future. I've edited this one to something more in line with that notion.

Thanks for your cooperation!

jcupp
06-03-2003, 09:43 AM
Well, I guess it depends on who's doing the training, we charge about $400/day for our basic LW training. But there are guys I'd pay $1000 for a day of watching over their shoulder and getting them coffee while they work.

colkai
06-04-2003, 05:57 AM
Tough call that,
I work for a Software house, my boss charges 450 a day for us going on-site, even to just do simple things. Flat rate, end of story. You are paying for the time and skills of the professional.

However, I would say that I think there is a problem for folks like me. LW is a hobby, I just cannot justify 400 plus expenses to spend a day learning something I may, or may not use. Same for videos, 100 quid on a couple of videos, (can't even GET the DVD's as they are not region 2 :( ), the wife would give me some serious headache when things around the house need repairing and I spent that. Yeah, I know, most guys seemingly have plenty of spare cash, or write it off against a business - not an option. <sigh>

That's where books help, but they cannot be a substitute for a real person. At work, we get more done when working together, sharing info, what is needed is something like that.

Trouble is, user groups are notorious for being difficult to organize so getting folks together for a common agenda of learning and sharing is like plating fog!

I would love to just spend time with someone, to see how they work, but I know realistically that ain't gonna happen. So, I muddle on, with much head-against-wall moments, as I suspect, do many others. Not the most elegant way of learning, though one does feel quite thrilled when one finally figures something out, even if it took weeks longer than it should :eek:

Now if only 3D Buzz did more Lightwave video tutorials :D

Aegis
06-05-2003, 04:08 PM
Colkai: Your location says "NW UK" - is that NW London? If so we could meet up and talk LightWave (I'm in Camden) - if it's NW United Kingdom i.e Wales or Scotland then it could be a problem :D

Also, as far as DVDs are concerned, have you got a DVD drive in your computer? Why not make it multi-region?

pauland
06-06-2003, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by colkai
..can't even GET the DVD's as they are not region 2 :(
If you are talking DesktopImages, the DVDs are region 0. Besides that, Larry Schultz, Dan Ablan and Paul Mikulecky all have training stuff available on DVD or CD.

No need to have a non-region 2 DVD.

Paul

philip kelly
06-06-2003, 02:17 AM
Dear all and Mr Chuck
I would like to say thank you very much for all the advise especially Chuck.
I think the best way to learn obiously is to sit down and do it.
Like anything talking about it gets you nowere just do it, as the ads used to say.

Mr Chuck, I have a question, how do I find out who is using Lightwave 3D in Ireland is there a way throuh Newtek or is that a comprimise of personal information of your clients?
If it is fare enough, I only know of one company Lightstream, nice guys , but last i heard one of the two guys packed up and headed off to america to make a real go of it , and best of luck to him, I'd say is like Joey tribiany tring to get a job in the business over in the US of A.
Anyway keep in touch all. I enjoy the Chat and advise, and tell me dose anybody else go to the great newtek site everyday and look at what is new and print out user Profiles and read them last thing at night.
Great site.
I do have one qeustion, DXF+ has just been launched.
Is there going to be a dwg at some stage, I am an architectural technician and all my interest is in arch'vizualisation, and dwg's are in general a quater of the size and less hassel to get from clients. The office I work in is Microstation based, dgn is Micro' file extention so dwg always works better.
By the way any new sales coming up an lightwave soon, and can I buy directly from Newtek as the exchange rate is much better than if I buy through England.
Thanks all again
phil

colkai
06-06-2003, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Aegis
Colkai: Your location says "NW UK" - is that NW London? If so we could meet up and talk LightWave (I'm in Camden) - if it's NW United Kingdom i.e Wales or Scotland then it could be a problem :D

Also, as far as DVDs are concerned, have you got a DVD drive in your computer? Why not make it multi-region?

A little more "oop North" than that I'm a fraid, St Helens Lancs. (no, not Merseyside - It was Lancs when I was born so Lancs it stays ;) )

I have a Ricoh CD/CDRW/DVD on my PC, plus a Philips (I think) DVD player in the lounge.

colkai
06-06-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by pauland
If you are talking DesktopImages, the DVDs are region 0. Besides that, Larry Schultz, Dan Ablan and Paul Mikulecky all have training stuff available on DVD or CD.

No need to have a non-region 2 DVD.

Paul

What about the brad peebler ones? - you know '7 tricks' or whatever it is? I didn't realise some DVD's were non-region, may be time to start being nice to the missus ;)

SplineGod
06-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by philip kelly
Good day.
I hope find you all well.
I have a problem.
I was looking for someone to give lightwave 3d training , and after searching, I came across a company in england.
But the price they quoted was 600 Sterling a day.
That equates to 1000 euros a day.
Is this the norm, or are they taking the micheal.
I personaly thing it is ridiculous, after all how much can you possibly learn in one day?
Can I have someone elses opinion on this.
I am based in Dublin Ireland.

Thank you in advance.

phil

I would take a look at my online training courses. I think youll find theyre a great bargain. The bulk of the lectures come on CD in quicktime format. My LW Intro Course has over 30 hrs and my Character course has over 60 hrs. You receive a minimum of 3 months online support through our forum which you can use when you need to since the courses are self paced. You can post questions anytime and have your work looked at and critiqued whenever you like.
I have quite a few students over in the UK and in other parts of the world. Go to http://www.3dtrainingonline.com to check out whats available.
I also have a section of my intro course available to check out online as well to give you an idea what its like. Its a section dealing with subpatch modeling. It can be reached from here:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/introtolightwave.htm
-Larry

Aegis
06-08-2003, 06:48 AM
Colkai: Most PC DVD drives can be software-modded to be region free - after patching my Philips DVD+RW drive plays all regions just fine. Email me if you'd like some details.

dablan
06-23-2003, 11:08 AM
Our in out training at AGA Digital Studios here in Chicago is $995 for two full days - with me training. We include lunch, books, and materials.

We also have our training on CD-ROM for $395. It's 20 hours, and very in-depth. You can see the info, quotes, and samples at www.3dgarage.com.

There is a ton of great info on the internet, and helpful people on the forums. FLay.com has great links to many of these places as well as their own archives.

Cheers,
Dan

BeeVee
06-24-2003, 06:53 AM
Originally posted by philip kelly
Dear all and Mr Chuck

I do have one qeustion, DXF+ has just been launched.
Is there going to be a dwg at some stage, I am an architectural technician and all my interest is in arch'vizualisation, and dwg's are in general a quater of the size and less hassel to get from clients. The office I work in is Microstation based, dgn is Micro' file extention so dwg always works better.

Haha "If you don't know me you can call me MistaChuck"... :)

There's a big problem with DWG files. Like max files they are procedurally created, a bit like PostScript. Rather than containing descriptions of the polygons that make them up, they contain instructions for building those polygons "Make a square of this size and loft it to this height" and so on. This makes it impossible to translate to another format. Even programs like Deep Exploration and Okino's PolyTrans will only convert max objects if you already have max installed. It would be the same for DWG files...

B

philip kelly
06-24-2003, 07:25 AM
I am talking about 2D files, just used to trace over and use as a reference point. There will be not 3d info at alll involved.

Dgn or dwg are the most common type, why aren't they catered for as in the recent poll 27% of lightwave users use lightwave for architectural visualisation.

phil

BeeVee
06-24-2003, 07:32 AM
They still use exactly the same method unfortunately. It's a case of "draw a box at x,y coordinates" at that point, obviously.

B