PDA

View Full Version : When to get my feet wet

Parallax
07-12-2006, 05:32 PM
I have LW8.5 and Dan Alban's course. However I have ordered LW9 and Dan's LW9 course. Are the differences between 8.5 and 9 significant enough that it would be better to wait for V9 to start teaching myself LW?

I am new to digital art, computer animation.

I appreciate your input.

Skinner3D
07-12-2006, 06:54 PM
:cool: I am almost in the same boat as you are, except that I have not ordered the 9 book yet. I say keep going with 8.5 until you get nine. From what I have read on this forum there are several new features, but you can't go wrong in getting to know the basics better. If you were brand new coming into Lightwave I would say wait for 9 so that you wouldn't have to understand both at the same time.

Gui Lo
07-12-2006, 10:40 PM
No, start now.
LW9 adds to LW8.5 and does not replace it.

I am getting to grips with the new stuff in LW9 but it still feels very familiar. What is 'new' seems well implemented into the previous framework.

I think you may kick yourself if you wait since there is no fundemental difference but plenty of new stuff. Look at the stuff that new uses are doing with LW8.5 in the Gallery, you could be doing that and then you can take advantage of the added goodness of LW9.

Basically, why wait to have fun?