PDA

View Full Version : Typical Windows and second Tuesday of the month

Martin Adams
07-12-2006, 12:51 AM
Argghh!!!

Sorry, just venting my frustration. I left a 125 frame render going overnight which should have finished just about now. Only to find out that Windows XP decided not only install some automatic updates, but reboot my machine. It only got as far as 12 frames :bangwall:

So I've learnt the hard way to change my automatic update to download automatically, but let me choose when to install them.

Weetos
07-12-2006, 01:30 AM
been there too

Anything automatic always leads to problems - I did what you said too, but there's another foe : if you decide to install an update that requires you reboot your computer, a requester pops up asking if you want to restart now or later. The problem about that is that the requester will come back every five mins or so. No so long ago I was about to confirm something by pressing Enter when the requester suddenly popped up and stealed the focus with 'Restart Now' selected so when I hit Enter, my computer killed everything and then rebooted :2guns:

No work lost so it's ok, but still I hate those silly things

Martin Adams
07-12-2006, 02:51 AM
I get very frustrated by programs that steal the focus as you're typing (in fact, just typing this sentence something a reminder popped up - how ironic).

I've installed Norton updates before and it gives you a box with an OK button to reboot (no cancel). So I just drag it off screen and forget about it.

Very frustrating at times...

Exception
07-12-2006, 05:26 AM
Tweak UI's option to prevent focus stealing can be very useful, however, it will also prevent modeler or layout to pop up when F12 is pressed.

Martin Adams
07-12-2006, 05:29 AM
Yeah, I did use the Tweak UI option a while ago, but I didn't find it being perfect. At the time I think I was hoping it would stop applications taking the foreground when they start, such as when Windows starts and a million windows open.

I might give it another go at work where I'm most frustrated by focus theives :)