PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave hangs

peteb
07-11-2006, 04:08 PM
I've just moved house and now have a new Internet address so not sure if that has anything to do with my problem. But now when I try and load either Modeller or Layout Lightwave just hangs. I thought it might be Norton Anti virus so un installed it but still no luck. Anyone know what this could be?

Pete B

colkai
07-12-2006, 02:41 AM
check your firewall, it could be that it is being blocked. Do they hang if you load them without the hub? (-0 switch)

peteb
07-12-2006, 03:16 AM
I turned the firewall off and got the same problem. Haven't tried it without the hub yet, I'll try that tonight.

Cheers for the advice.

Pete B

peteb
07-31-2006, 05:01 PM
Ok I've discovered that It's Norton Anti virus causing this. I took it off a few weeks ago and Lightwave worked fine. I've just re_installed it and Lightwave now hangs again.

I thought that by telling Norton to exclude Lightwave in the Worms menu it would work again but this hasn't been the case.

Does anyone know how to solve this?

Pete B

jdsax
07-31-2006, 07:45 PM
AVG anti-virus. It's free.
AVG Free (http://free.grisoft.com/doc/5390/lng/us/tpl/v5)
It works great, I've been using it for a few years and it has never interfered with an application.:thumbsup:

peteb
08-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Cheers for that I'll give it a go. The thing is I've paid for Norton for the next whole year and feel like I've been ripped off.

Penforhire
08-01-2006, 02:00 PM
+1 for AVG, just switched myself after widely reading the Norton-causes-slowdowns complaints. Heck, it even found a trojan on my system that Norton let in!

peteb
08-01-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm just really annoyed that I've just spent money on Norton. I wonder if I tell them that it's not allowing me to use my software they'll give me my money back?

Pete B

colkai
08-02-2006, 02:54 AM
I tell my friends to avoid Norton like the plague, I've had far too many problems with it in the past. At work, we dropped it long ago for the hassles it caused.

Mind you PC-Cillin is also sneaky, I ran AVG on my works PC as well as PC-Cillin as AVG picked up some problems PC-Cillin just let through. On the last update, PC-Cillin decided it would "kindly" un-install AVG for me as part of the daily update. Arrgghhh... what a low-life trick.

peteb
08-02-2006, 11:49 AM
I disabled the worm protection on Norton and it now works but I think after reading post after of post of people saying how rubbish Norton is I think I'll just go with AVG and count my loses on the money front.

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

Pete B