PDA

View Full Version : Am I "normal"?

Thomas M.
07-11-2006, 10:09 AM
Honestly I don't quite get it. Following the "Manual" (which I consider a huge glossary, but not a manual) it's possible to feed every shader with a normal map for true layered shading effects. How is this possible to achieve this with a bump map as the input type? Shouldn't it look more or less like the bump map applied to the bump input of the surface. I guess there needs to be some normalize thingy going on, but I'm not getting there and couldn't find a post describing the "how to". Believing the manual both bump and normal have a vector as the output. So it should be possible to use the bump as a normal map, right?

Any advice is welcome.

Cheers
Thomas

Matt
07-11-2006, 10:22 AM
If you're asking what I think you're asking, you need to look at these ...

http://www.simplylightwave.com/movie_pages/tutorial.mhtml?tut_id=517

If not, can you be clearer as to what the problem is.

Regards
Matt

jasonwestmas
07-11-2006, 10:41 AM
I would just suggest you use regular normal mapping techniques for complex Normal Mapping. You can convert grey scale images to normal maps however using Nvidia's Melody software.

Thomas M.
07-11-2006, 10:59 AM
Mmmh. Didn't make myself clear enough. I want to use a procedural bump from nodal. Like dots, wood, fractal blah, blah, bla. I want to give every shader a different "bump" map (Bump shader) to simulate different layers of material. Like the wire example in the manual. So I want to know, how do I use a procedural bump map as a normal map, as the input parameter of the shaders in blue is call normal.

Thanks in advance
Thomas

Weepul
07-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Believing the manual both bump and normal have a vector as the output. So it should be possible to use the bump as a normal map, right?
Nope, just because they're the same type of data doesn't mean they contain the same information in the same format. Subtract the bump from one of the normal dots of a Spot Info node (which one depends on desired effect), normalize it, and then you'll have surface normal data.

(I've not read the manual, so I don't know if that's in there.)

newtekker04
07-11-2006, 04:08 PM
What's the best way to make normal maps for lw models?

jasonwestmas
07-11-2006, 05:21 PM
What's the best way to make normal maps for lw models?

It depends on what you are making. If you want to make organic Nmaps with deep/smooth impressions that require vertex precision then it's best to use: Nvidia Melody or Zbrush2 or the normal mapping plugins from Marvin Landis. You'll get the greatest detail of the 3 from Zbrush2 but you'll need the ram and cpu power to support it.