PDA

View Full Version : Video Tutorial: Chain and Sprockets - Interested?

Dahfish
07-11-2006, 04:51 AM
Hi there,

I have just finished creating an in-depth video tutorial on modelling a "Chain & Sprockets" system in Lightwave. I have included an image to show the final model the tutorial produces and another textured image.

I'd like to give something back to the Lightwave community and I hope this tutorial sheds some light (I must stop using that pun, I swear its never intentional) into how to create such a model. I spent some time trying to figure it all out and then to find a repeatable method with suitable accuracy.

Tutorial Details
-------------------
Duration: 4hours 15mins (approx)
Language: English

Example Codec Details
------------------------------
Video Format: Xvid
Audio Format: MPEG3
Resolution: 1024x768
Total Size: 245.2mb

Part 1 = 00:41:40 (hh:mm:ss) = 30.5mb
Part 2 = 00:58:14 (hh:mm:ss) = 44.7mb
Part 3 = 01:39:26 (hh:mm:ss) = 100mb
Part 4 = 00:56:14 (hh:mm:ss) = 70mb

The whole model can be created in around 40minutes once you understand the methods involved. The reason the tutorial is much longer is it takes time to explain the methods. For some this tutorial might be over explained, but I wanted to make sure everyone was able to follow along. I'm hoping you not only learn how to create a chain and sprocket system, but you also understand the thought pattern. I've found by watching others I've learnt some useful ways of using some tools, maybe you'll find something that helps you.

If you are interested in getting a copy of this tutorial (which I hope you are) then please let me know via Private Message and then I can either send a copy on CD through the post to you or perhaps arrange an upload as I don't have webspace to host the files. Obviously I won't be able to send everyone a CD as this could cost a lot, but lets just see who's interested. If you have a hosting solution I'd be glad to hear about it.

If you could provide feedback on whether you found it to be a useful tutorial, whether it would be something you'd consider spending money on etc, I'd certainly appreciate it.

All the best

Dahfish.

WCameron
07-11-2006, 10:32 AM
oh that looks sweet.

if the total size is roughly 250 meg (assuming compressed/zipped/archived) you could do three files and up them to some service like Rapidshare.de,
oxyshare.com (You could do 1 file on oxyshare, but in my experience
they tend to be slower with downloads) or megaupload.com.

free to upload and free to download from.

- Will.

kylekoch
07-11-2006, 12:10 PM
I would love to do your tutorial. Its kind of you to offer. I hope you can upload them somewhere. In depth tutorials like this is what I need to learn the tools and alternate way of doing things Do you go into animating it or just the modeling part?

Penforhire
07-11-2006, 01:33 PM
This sounds very sweet. Check out a free membership at sendthisfile.com. You could post it there for few days, let us know, and we FTP it on our own.

coremi
07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
u should ask Newtek, they should add your tutorial to their online tutorials, and make an interview with you on the front page, not everybody does complex FREE video tutorials. If Newtek doesn't want it maybe Kurv will help us all and upload it on their server.

prince
07-11-2006, 03:14 PM
This is really nice of you, I would love to do your tutorial. :)

nomad108
07-11-2006, 09:22 PM
That really looks great! I hope you find a place to upload it. I move around too much to get a CD.

Puguglybonehead
07-12-2006, 01:29 AM
Yes! This is definitely a tutorial I would like to go through. Being a lifelong cyclist, chains and gears are something I'm really curious about how to model accurately.

Kuzey
07-12-2006, 01:41 AM
Oooo....that's so cool!!!

This would have been so good on the LW9 dvd's...but that's timing for ya :hey:

Maybe Newtek can host it on their tutorial section :D

Kuzey

geoff
07-12-2006, 02:24 AM
I would be interested in this tutorial as well :)

Carlos F. Pinto
07-12-2006, 04:28 AM
Count me in! Thanks.

Darttman
07-12-2006, 05:59 AM
Hey where is the master link? JK nice work, and yes a tut would be nice to watch a vid of.

mrunion
07-12-2006, 06:17 AM
Yup, I'd like it myself if it were downloadable. I don't have enough bandwidth to make it available via my web server or I'd help you out there as well.

prospector
07-12-2006, 08:11 AM
H E double hockysticks yes !

This WOULD be good on Newteks site.

Webmaster?????

pretty please with sugar (not sachrin) on it????? :heart: :heart:

art
07-12-2006, 08:28 AM
I'd love to have this tutorial.
Maybe we could put some file sharing networks to some good legal use and distribute it there, unless you object (pun not intentional) to that.

erich
07-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Hey Dahfish. I pm'd you, but have not heard from you. What's happening with this tut? How can I get it? :D

Cheers.

Dahfish
07-12-2006, 11:45 AM
Hi there,

Firstly I'd like to thank you all for such a warm reception, it's certainly an encouraging start :)

To clarify this tutorial covers the modelling part of creating chain and sprockets. I have not covered texturing as this is not attached to any final model and would not be so relevant. I have not covered animation although I have spent quite some time searching various forums, I haven't found a solution, at least not one that I have understood.

A few of you have mentioned contacting Newtek directly in the hopes that they might consider hosting this tutorial. I did send them an email about a week ago with such a proposal, however I haven't heard back so naturally decided to at least make a good starting effort to see if there was any interest and get some of you this tutorial. Perhaps if the response is positive enough it maybe something Newtek would consider. We'll see :)

So you know the stage I'm currently at. I've re-encoded the videos and added in the relevant title screens at the beginning. I need to get some CD covers printed off and a batch burnt to CD (I've got a stack of 100 blanks sat in the cupboard).

What I need from you in order to get a copy out to you is either of the following details via Private message

1) Full postal name and address. Exactly how I should write it on the envelope.

Or

2) FTP log in details so that I can attempt to upload the files to your webspace. This does not obligate you to use your space to host the files to the public.

I would like to avoid using many of the free upload sites as I want to keep all parts together as 1 full tutorial product and also I would prefer it to be kept within the Lightwave community of webspace, if that makes sense. The worst case would be to get hold of only part of the tutorial, which would end up with more confusion than solutions.

I'd like to thank many of you whom have offered to compensate my financial expenses, that's very generous of you and as such I will enclose my address should you wish to make a donation.

I will let you know via PM or email when I have posted or uploaded a copy to you. If you could allow me a few days or a week to get things underway that would help.

I'm looking forward to hearing from you and seeing some of your models and renders that this tutorial may have helped produce.

All the best

Dahfish.

Dahfish
07-23-2006, 06:23 AM
Hi all,

Well I've sent out a batch of CD's to people around the world and have uploaded a few copies to some peoples FTP sites.

This is a shameless thread revival as I found it was banished to page 4. :spam: My apologies

Hopefully you'll enjoy the tutorial and get something positive out of it and I look forward to hearing your feedback.

If any Newtek officials drop by, maybe you'd like to make a note of this thread for consideration to hosting the tutorial files on your servers for members to download, as I wasn't successful in contacting you by email.

Chain & Sprockets tut (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54417) : Tying threads together about this Tutorial.

In the meantime if anyone else has an interest in getting hold of a copy of this Tutorial the offer still stands. I'm happy to either upload or post a CD to you if you can Private Message me your details (see above post)

All the best

Dahfish / Jeremy.

Penforhire
07-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Just got the copy you sent me. You've gone way above and beyond, giving back to the community like this. Multiple-GBP postage! Did I mention the CD box art is too cool? I haven't read the contents yet but the production effort is heroic.

Do you deal at all with Paypal or any other on-line payment service?

WilliamVaughan
07-23-2006, 10:19 AM
NewTek can host it if you would like. Get me a copy and I will get it online.

SOunds very cool!

prince
07-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Hi Dahfish,

I got the mail today, A big thank you:)
Cant wait to get started on the tutorial later on, and wow I'm surprised at the packaging, Wow Thank you:))

Do you have a Paypal account?

Puguglybonehead
07-27-2006, 07:09 AM
I just got it in the mail today. Many thanks! :) Nicely packaged. Can't wait to check it out.

lightfoot97
07-28-2006, 03:35 PM
Hi Dahfish!

Your Tutorial sound pretty cool, and I can't wait to get my hands on it ...
I hope proton is hosting the files soon, so I can download them.

Thanks again for your efforts :thumbsup:

greetings
lightfoot

Jeffers
07-28-2006, 04:07 PM
A fantastic tutorial. You have taken it right back to beginer level - which is a good thing I think! I don't think you ever forget to say what key shortcuts you are pressing etc etc!!!

Keep them coming...

Just one point - IMO, your res does't need to be so big. PAL at 720x576 would be fine I'm sure (Or NTSC).

Well done!

Dahfish
07-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi everyone :)

I'd like to thank Newtek and in particular Proton for generously offering to host this tutorial for you all. I sent a copy out on CD to Proton and here is the result :)

Newtek's Official Download Link:
Video Tutorial: Chain and Sprockets (ftp://ftp.newtek.com/pub/LightWave/Tutorials/animation/chain_sprockets/)

Contents:

This tutorial is based in Newtek Lightwave 8.x and covers the modelling of a chain and sprockets system.

==== /images ====
1 x Reference image
1 x Modeler screen capture
2 x Example renders

==== /objects ====
1 x Completed tutorial object file

==== /video files ====
Video tutorial files
Parts 1 - 4 in .avi format (Xvid codec required)

Tutorial Details:
--------------------
Duration: 4hours 15mins (approx)
Language: English

Codec Details:
--------------------
Video Format: Xvid
Audio Format: MPEG3
Resolution: 1024x768
Total Size: 245.2mb

Part 1 = 00:41:40 (hh:mm:ss) = 30.5mb
Part 2 = 00:58:14 (hh:mm:ss) = 44.7mb
Part 3 = 01:39:26 (hh:mm:ss) = 100mb
Part 4 = 00:56:14 (hh:mm:ss) = 70mb

I'd really appreciate hearing your feedback and hope you get something positive out of this.

All the best.

Dahfish / Jeremy.

Cageman
07-29-2006, 01:50 PM
Hi.

Here is my review of Chain & Sprockets videotutorial by Jeremy Snell.

I've watched the tutorial from start to end, and I can honestly say Jeremy has an edge for teaching. Anyone could pick up and learn from what he shows in the turorial. He explains everything quite in-depth, both tools and workflow, so even a complete beginner can follow along and easily pick up the pace with LightWave. However, more experienced users may find the explanations of the tools a bit slow. Having said that, I actually picked up a couple of things I previously haven't thought of or knew about.

Jeremy has done a lot of reasearch, which clearly shows in his video. Pitfalls are avoided because of his clever thinking, preparing and use of the tools at hand. The first and second part are dedicated to the research and preparation in Modeler before any real modeling takes place. This may seem longwinded and boring, but in the end you save alot of trouble that would eventually haunt you later on in the project. The third part takes care of all the modeling, pretty straightforward but with some clever solutions and ways to think.

The last part, which constists of fixing some errors etc is when you realise that all the things shown in part 1 and part 2 falls into place. You will actually think about how much work you would have had to do at this stage if it weren't for the first two parts.

However, the tutorial isn't without flaws. While there aren't any real sqrew-ups, sometimes Jeremy goes through his notes, which could easily been cut out with some editing. These are minor, and doesn't distract you much. At one point he counts backwards two times "3, 2, 1..." as if he intended to edit this, but forgot about it. One thing that wasn't in the tutorial is how to make all those holes in the 36T Sprocket and still keep the subpatches. Would have loved that, maybe next time though! ;)

Overall, I learned alot from this tutorial, even if I'm not going to, or need to, model Sprockets or Chains right now. The workflow is well presented and I got alot of ideas of how to implement a similar workflow for my modeling, something a tutorial should do, but not all deliver on that part.

Very inspirational stuff, and I really hope that Jeremy Snell will continue to produce tutorials. Free or commercial doesn't make a difference, Jeremy, however, is.

/Cageman

NOTE: I'm not particulary a modeler. I've been doing animation in Maya for the last couple of months, working freelance at a studio in Sweden. I'm looking forward to extend my, somewhat, limited abilities with modeling and this tutorial really got me hooked!

Davoid
07-31-2006, 01:22 PM
Hello and thank you for these tutorials. I am unable to watch them at present as the video keeps flickering up and down (the sound is fine). I am using WMP 10 on a Windows XP SP2 machine, do I need to install another codec to play these okay or is there a setting I need to adjust?
This happens on all 3 videos.

Hope someone can help.

Thanks,
David

Dahfish
07-31-2006, 01:56 PM
Hi Davoid,

Good to see you got your copy.

I am running WinXP SP2 with WMP V.10 aswell. You need to download and install the Xvid codec. If you are trying to play it on the Divx codec for example then you will get a scrambled image.

Xvid homepage:
http://www.xvid.org/

Link to codec complete with installer (Koepi)
http://www.xvidmovies.com/codec/

The sites should have instructions for installation. I installed my version a while ago and think I used one of Koepi's installation packs.

Good luck and all the best

Dahfish / Jeremy.

Davoid
07-31-2006, 09:10 PM
Hi Jeremy,

I have only just now picked up the disk, the one I was trying was the download version. I will download the codec and look forward to watching the tutorials.

Thank you very much for the CD, It is excellent the work on the tutorials and the quality of the disk you have sent.

Thanks again,
David

Dahfish
08-02-2006, 11:14 AM
Hi everyone,

I have had several people ask me if I have a PayPal account available, so I thought it best to sign up.

I have placed a link at the bottom of my website for donations. I think its all correct as I'm not too familiar with it yet.

www.urbanfx.co.uk

I know many of you haven't had the chance to watch it yet and I'm looking forward to hearing what your thoughts are.

Take care now.

Dahfish / Jeremy.