PDA

View Full Version : A tool for all voices

DiedonD
07-11-2006, 01:55 AM
As youve seen on SCREAM series, the psychopath killer, uses a small tool that after he speaks on it various voices come out of it, including female voices, completely deferent harder voices and the such, that are completely different from his own.

Does something like that trully exists. I could sure use that in doing various voices for my characters. I could act all of them even, nobody would know better then me how to act them anyway. I know their in and outs, litterarily.

So...Does that tool has a name and is it for sale?

If not, is there anything close to it?

Weetos
07-11-2006, 02:18 AM
Those tools are called 'voice coder' or 'vocoder'. There are some softwares that emulate this effect, and I'm pretty sure you can find tons of them using google :)

DiedonD
07-11-2006, 02:40 AM
Yes and no. It does scrambles my voice into an unknown one, but the one used on Scream was smaller and produced crystal clear voices of others.
While Vocoder seems to be for something else. Heres a paste from Wikipedia:

A vocoder (name derived from voice encoder, formerly also called voder) is a speech analyser and synthesizer. It was originally developed as a speech coder for telecommunications applications in the 1930s, the idea being to code speech for transmission. Its primary use in this fashion is for secure radio communication, where voice has to be digitized, encrypted and then transmitted on a narrow, voice-bandwidth channel.

I need my voice to be clear but someone elses, whom I might not even know, or ever had contact with, or might not even exist. Like maybe I could just tune up or down and a certain line with my voice would change considerably.

Besides, it seems that it only changes my voice into very vicious or robot like only voices, not ordinary peoples voices.

Weetos
07-11-2006, 04:46 AM
it's just a matter of adjusting parameters, then you can get realistic results. the most common effect over used in some type of music is sure not what you're looking for, but if you have enough control over the different parameters, you can achieve great and believable results in no time (just by only *slightly* changing the pitch, you can get some decent female voice)

Lord Snarebotto
07-11-2006, 04:35 PM
Does something like that trully exists.

Only in the movies.

ScottSullivan
07-11-2006, 05:06 PM
And then there was Mel Blanc. The human vocoder. Man, talk about voices for characters.

Digital Hermit
07-11-2006, 06:54 PM
Have not seen the "scream" series, but you maybe talking about a pitch shifter or pitch transposer?

The first vocoder on the scene was an analog electronic device or system that modified speech; usually buy using the "voice" or other sound input as an envelope to modify another sound.

Digital Hermit

colkai
07-12-2006, 02:38 AM
In something like soundforge, you can pitch shift without speed increase so you can move up in semi tones affecting the tone of your audio.
However, that only modifies tone, to really get different characters across, a lot will depend on how you voice them, you need to aim for a different feel to each person, this will affect your delivery which will help.
My old English teacher had a great knack for donig this, made our reading lessons great fun.

DiedonD
07-12-2006, 03:54 AM
Alright, Ill be looking into Sound Forge 8. Thanks guys, lets see weather I have it in me in voices as well. Hopefully yes, so I can cover the "Paying actors" checkbox :)

roboanarchy
07-12-2006, 02:47 PM
There is a program out there that does exactly what you ask.

http://www.audio4fun.com/voice-over.htm