PDA

View Full Version : Blending images with alpha in Photoshop

AaronKent
07-10-2006, 06:45 PM
So far I have 2 UV maps on this dinosaur. They overlap a little bit and I want to use an alpha channel on one UV map to blend the two texture maps. So in Photoshop I have an alpha channel painted for the leg UV, but. . . I always get white were it should be transparent. Also tried using the matte as a seperate file and using an alpha layer in the texture editor but I get the same thing.

AK

Sekhar
07-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Did you create the alpha separately or did you have Photoshop automatically create it for you by making a mask? The former doesn't seem to work with LW; the latter does. May be you could post your Photoshop file?

AaronKent
07-10-2006, 08:00 PM
I tried all ways. Making either a quick mask, an alpha channel or a seperate image file.

Sekhar
07-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Why don't you post your PS and LW files so we can check them out?

AaronKent
07-10-2006, 09:12 PM
cannot post the model casue its for a commercial project but I will upload the images when I get back to my workstation.

AK

Dave Jerrard
07-14-2006, 08:44 AM
Use a weightmap. In Modeler, load the object and view one of the UV maps you want to blend into another. Select the points in this UV and create a weightmap from them (give them a value of -100%). Select the points on the edge of this UV map and give thos a value of 100%. You can now use this weightmap with a gradient as an alpha in Layout and tweak the transparency right thre. If you need a larger blend, you can blur the weightmap in Modeler using FI's WeightMapBlur plugin. Once you get the weightmap to cover the area you want, it's easier to tweak the blend in Layout than it is to keep editing an image. You can just drag a key aroud in the gradient to make adjustments.

He Who Uses Weightmaps Instead Of Surface Names In Much Of His Organic Modeling Now.