PDA

View Full Version : Area Ball Light

Capt Lightwave
02-18-2003, 01:15 AM
I'd like to see a Area Ball Light to get soft shadows from "point" lights, as a lightbulb for instance isn't a point but a "small" ball and are indeed capable of giving soft shadows.

Red_Oddity
02-18-2003, 03:37 AM
You can work around this by creating a ball and then using luxigons on all vertices/points.

Capt Lightwave
02-18-2003, 04:08 AM
I know that, but workarounds aren't what makes a program better. A simple scaleable sphere light would be one thing I'd like to see in a future upgrade, no luxigons on a ball object, but a ball light with all the bells and whistles.

Red_Oddity
02-18-2003, 09:20 AM
Amen:p

Matt
02-18-2003, 11:24 AM
he's right you know, I'd like to see features more integrated than simply 'added on' it doesn't make for a nice clean program.

Capt Lightwave
02-21-2003, 12:42 AM
...and while I'm whimpering...."cylinder light" instead of "linear light" with the same specifications as above....

Lightwolf
02-21-2003, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by Capt Lightwave
...and while I'm whimpering...."cylinder light" instead of "linear light" with the same specifications as above....

I'm with you brother... :rolleyes:

Elmar Moelzer
02-22-2003, 03:42 AM
I am with you all too...
All those requests make good sense, but am affraid these will render looooooong...
CU
Elmar

Lightwolf
02-22-2003, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by Elmar Moelzer
I am with you all too...
All those requests make good sense, but am affraid these will render looooooong...
CU
Elmar
Well, as far as the cylinder light goes... just as quick as a spot light...

Elmar Moelzer
02-22-2003, 10:14 AM
Hey LightWolf, it seems that we mixed up the terms somewherem I was referring to cylinder- lights that work like Linear- lights (as mentioned by capt lightwave), which would be slower than a linear/area light if it worked simillar. A cylinder- light that was like a spot-light with a large base would be just as fast as a spotlight though(here you are right). Hehe looking forward to the names that will come up here, though I am pretty sure that if it was done LightWolfs cylinderlight would be integrated into the spotlight with an option (conebase)
CU
Elmar

Emmanuel
02-22-2003, 11:05 AM
I sure would love to see shadow map options for all the lights.
Cinema4D got soft shadows for all light types back in 1994 ;(

hrgiger
02-24-2003, 11:10 AM
I mentioned this in my other post but I'd like to see a feature where you can use a lightwave object as a light source. I mean, you can do it now with luminosity and radiosity but I mean using it as an actual light source. The object would send light out in the direction of the surface normals. I think that this would be more accurate then using point lights for light bulbs when you can actually model the filiment and have that cast light like it does in life.

I think all lights should be scaleable and be able to cast soft shadows.