PDA

View Full Version : Link wanted for old clothfx tutorial

Josamoto
07-10-2006, 01:42 PM
Hi all!

I saw a clothfx tutorial some time ago on tying a low resolution mesh for dynamics calculations to your more hi-resh mesh to speed up dynamic calculations.

I can't find it. Does anyone know the url?

Dodgy
07-10-2006, 02:56 PM
If you're using 8+, you make the hi rez mesh a child of the low-rez one, and then add the displacement plugin Metalink to the hi rez object. Once you're cloth has been calculated, the hi rez mesh should deform like the low rez one.

IF you're using 7 or earlier, you'll have to save the cloth mdd file and use the metaplug displacement plugin on the high rez object.

Josamoto
07-11-2006, 01:55 PM
Thanks Dodgy. That's a very "not so dodgy" reply! I appreciate.

I can kick myself for not saving out the url's or webpages when I come across a good tut. I must have been under the influence of some outer space extra terrestrial alien hypnotic psycotic abduction and blonde moment induction.

THREEL
07-11-2006, 09:05 PM
Hi all!

I saw a clothfx tutorial some time ago on tying a low resolution mesh for dynamics calculations to your more hi-resh mesh to speed up dynamic calculations.

I can't find it. Does anyone know the url?

Hey there Josamoto,

Just look under all of the threads that I started, and you'll find it there under LW 8.3 Layout Crashes when Calculating FX There's even a link there by HowardM, I believe, to explain how it works.

Hope this helps!:thumbsup: THREEL (AL)

Josamoto
07-12-2006, 12:43 PM
Thanks Threel. Your candywrapper thread was quite insightful and helpful.

Still, I recall the thread I'm referring to, being about a clothing setup for some super hero character in the tutorial. I'll keep on looking, but I've found an alternative to modelling my curtain.

I just created a low resolution mesh, animated that with clothfx. Saved the trans object, and SubD'd it in Modeller.

THREEL
07-12-2006, 08:28 PM
I just created a low resolution mesh, animated that with clothfx. Saved the trans object, and SubD'd it in Modeller.

Super cool J,

It seems like sometimes it takes posting a thread on something you're having problems with in LW, before you come up with your on solution. The thing is, other people viewing this threads can help with different solutions, while others are looking for a solution to similar problem. It's always nice to have more than one way to do things.:thumbsup:

THREEL (AL):D