PDA

View Full Version : .lwo -> .obj -> Vue 5...no textures?

CreepinJesus
07-10-2006, 09:12 AM
I made a very nice boat in Lightwave (a tutorial though, I must admit...) and I'd love to put it into a Vue 5 landscape. I was told importing .lwo files was a waste of time, and to use .obj files instead. I exportedmy .lwo file to a .obj, then imported it into Vue. Here lies the problem: when rendering, none of the textured applied to the boat are showing :(. They are all procedural textures...are they not compatible with Vue procedurals?

starbase1
07-10-2006, 09:30 AM
Yes, that's correct. Vue knows nothing about Lightwave's procedural textures. (Well, apart freom the most basic aspects, like colour!)

However it does support maps, so you can get what you want by creating UV maps for your object, and baking the textures. There are tutorials around on how to do this...

Creating best UV maps is a skill in itself! But provided you don't want to get too close it should be OK. I'd suggest trying 'atlas' UV's as the best all round fit, and going for quite a high res map, which will help hide the limitations. (Maybe 2000x2000 pixels).

Nick

JamesCurtis
07-10-2006, 02:27 PM
Actually, I believe he said he saved out an OBJ object from within LW of his boat oject. OBJ's exported from LW will not carry any of the texturing into VUE 5. if he took a LW object and used a 3rd Party converter such as Polytrans to convert the object to OBJ, then all suface textures would remain intact with the boat object.

starbase1
07-10-2006, 03:04 PM
I'll admit I had not tried it - though I know that LW can import OBJ's with image maps attached - its the way I get poser models into LW...

Nick

Red_Oddity
07-11-2006, 09:26 AM
Try using the MTL plugin (found on Flay) to write out OBJ material files (MTL files)
That might fix it (it does for Maya).

Direct link to authors site : http://dodgy.ghostoutpost.com/

Silkrooster
07-11-2006, 07:02 PM
I don't know why you don't use lwo. it's one less step. As far as I can tell according to the manual Vue supports procedurals that are identacal on other programs. Between Lightwave and Vue, wood is the only name that matches, then it still does not work. My theory is they use two different algorithoms.
Like starbase1 said there is nothing stoping you from baking the procedural and load the texture into Vue. Hopefully you find any problems with the texture wrapping the object.
Silk