PDA

View Full Version : Let's bring out the BUGS and ask for LW 7.5d or LW8

Dick Ma
06-02-2003, 06:04 PM
Start a new topic here, discribe what BUGS in LW 7.5c that you have experienced, as a Complete BUG List for the Newtek Officials. I think this may be a powerful way for Newtek to improve Lightwave!

Just list all the bugs that is proven true with no solutions unless Newtek updates LW.

Dick Ma
06-02-2003, 06:13 PM
Rendering problem: Surface Mixer not working on Bump texture, Viper works but fail in rendering, polygon filps normals in Viper, incorrect shading and rendering.

Morph Mixer: In Layout, Absolute Endomorph is not recognized.

cavalos
06-02-2003, 09:58 PM
this is a very good idea! In fact there should be a permanent part of the forum for reporting bugs and stability issues!

Best
Christian

Castius
06-03-2003, 12:22 AM
Most would agree with this. Thats why i started one. I will test bugs stated and will add them if they seem valid. or enough people also confirm it.

Dick Ma
06-03-2003, 01:46 AM
Originally posted by Castius
Most would agree with this. Thats why i started one. I will test bugs stated and will add them if they seem valid. or enough people also confirm it.

great detail, some of the bugs Listed by Castius I have experienced.

Surface Editor: In Layout the application if you setup the "Surface Thickness" in Surface Editor if using improper settings (didn't enable Double-Sided & didn't enable all Raytrace Options)

Surface Editor: object can not be reopened by do the following:
1. Open ANY envelope in Surface Editor
2. Add Textured Channel on Modifiers tab (no need to do anything after this)
3. Save object

Castius workhard, we are waiting for your bug report.

Chuck
06-03-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by cavalos
this is a very good idea! In fact there should be a permanent part of the forum for reporting bugs and stability issues!

Best
Christian

There are permanent parts of the forums for reporting bugs and stability issues - that's precisely the purpose of the support areas. Starting a thread specifically for listing bugs is a good idea. Individual threads are also fine for detailed discussion of a particular bug or issue in detail, and that already goes on all the time.

Perhaps an item should be entered in the compiled list only after an individual discussion has confirmed that the issue is indeed a bug, and defined the repeatable steps to reproduce the bug.

Dick Ma
06-03-2003, 05:23 PM
Mmm.. I think just want to concentrate all the posts related to Bugs into one thread, rather than showing them per every threads in LW PC or General Support.

If you have doubt about "Is it a bug in LW?" Then start a new thread and disuss it. If it is confirmed that it is a BUG that need LW updater to correct them, Please make a contribution here to this thread, make a report here.

To NewTek: Glad to have an Official reply here. I think you have an internal list about BUGS. Please post it here for users to avoid unexpected production problems. Also this thread is aimed for your guys for "concentration" to work on the Bugs, so we are hoping for faster updates for LW.

Both benefits for NewTek & Users.

Castius
06-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Updated. Nice work on the surface mixer issue Dick Ma. Thats a pretty big one.

Dick Ma
06-04-2003, 01:19 AM
Castius:

well, Someone mentioned it before, and I just studied it more deeply....

Castius
06-04-2003, 08:40 AM
updated
Found some other ones this morning.

riki
06-04-2003, 10:27 AM
Here's my two bits

Mac OS 9.2.1 LW 7.5b

When dragging a panel, such as the 'Display Options' panel in Modeler, I get an irritating systems error beep everytime I release the drag bar.

Tools in the 'Additional' menu start off being listed in alphabetcial order. But towards the end of the list, they're listed in random order.

The 'Gears' (Not 'Gear') creates an object with two inward facing Polygons.

I can no longer load PS1 fonts which use to work fine with LW Modeler v 7.5

If you save a 'Font List', it fails to automatically load when you next reboot Modeler. I'm also unable to manually load a formerly saved Fontlist using the 'Load List' button.

This means that I have to manually load the fonts each time before I can use the Text Tool. These features use to work fine with earlier versions of LW (ie before the TT option was added to the Mac platform).

The 'Make-Text' Lscript (In Additional Menu) doesn't work. It seems to be unable to recognise any fonts in my Systems Folder.

The defaul settings for the 'ParametricObj' Tool creates a ball object with an inward facing Polygon.

The 'search.html' page in the new downloadable version of 'Lightwave Help' freezes up my Browser (NS7.1).

When I launch 'Lightwave Help' (index.html) I get two Browser Error Messages. The Browser can't find pages 'dummy_search.html' and 'Untitled-Frame4'.

The Surface Editor disappears beneath the main window when you click to open the Preset Shelf. This makes it difficult to know which surface you working with or to switch quickly back and forth between the two panels.

Valter
06-04-2003, 12:07 PM
I've got problems with lw 7.5c render. :mad:

black artfacts appear on some surfaces when anti-aliasing is on.

I got it with a comum poligonal (poly>4 vertices)surface render and another poligonal (poly=3vertices) render using normal map shader.

Have someone got this problem as well????

Later

Castius
06-04-2003, 12:29 PM
Valter do you have any other info i can use to reproduce the black spots. What normal map shader are you useing is it a third party plugin?

Riki I'd like to add your bugs to my list, but i don't have a mac here to test them to verify. If others post here to verify i will make a new section for mac.

Valter
06-04-2003, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Castius
Valter do you have any other info i can use to reproduce the black spots. What normal map shader are you useing is it a third party plugin?

Riki I'd like to add your bugs to my list, but i don't have a mac here to test them to verify. If others post here to verify i will make a new section for mac.

Hi Castius

Well. I did use this free Nomalmap plugin (http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/plugins/NormalMaps.zip)

Castius I can't understand what's happen. I got this problem with polygonals models.
But now happen something and I'm more confused. after read your msg, I was make renders once again. But in this time lw7.5c make render fine. Don't show any problem with AA render.

I attach a file with old render and a render that I did few minutes ago.

Now I'm very confused, maybe lw7.5c render got problem, because I did have a small free space in the HD while render the animation. I'll wait appear this problem again.

Castius
06-04-2003, 09:11 PM
Thats is certainly a bit strange but looks links of like smoothig issue on the J or the flare/valume behind it. Value effect have been know to have issues. On that note i'll do some test with valumes an flares tomarrow.
8)

Valter
06-04-2003, 10:20 PM
I did have same problem with lens flare turn off.

Dick Ma
06-05-2003, 12:17 PM
New Bug:

Spreadsheet: No options selections in Object Properties: Edge. Spreadsheet will automatically dissappeared and no longer call it out if click to the Object Properties: Edge.

Castius
06-05-2003, 12:28 PM
Yup, edge in spreadsheet are all messed up i have one listed already that does just that. It's seemed so messed up i didn't bother looking for more.

cagey5
08-03-2003, 03:21 AM
Adjusting Motion Options: Controllers and Limits - Bank settings for a chain of bones in spreadsheet:
If I choose Inverse Kinematics and apply, it shows correctly in the spreadsheet but shows as 'Point at Target' on the motion panel even though that is a greyed out option.

Works fine under Heading and Pitch.

richpr
08-03-2003, 03:38 PM
I would go as far as to say that a LW Bugs forum would be a good thing to have... Since you have Feature Requests too...

It would show great customer listening skills and it would be a good spot for users to check if something is a known bug and perhaps find a workaround. NewTek would gain great Quality Control from it's community and it would keep some other forums cleaner as well..

Chuck's message could be there as a sticky, talking about mentioning which version you are using and the steps to reproduce the bug...

All software has bugs... Like all people have hair... ;)