PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave in conjunction with XSI?

Virtual Mind
07-07-2006, 11:11 AM
Ok so, I'm extremely pleased with what I've used of lightwave 9 so far, but certain features just aren't in it. As a result I've been considering getting XSI Professional (student license ftw). What I'd like to know is, are any of you guys using the two apps in conjunction with one another? I know that XSI's CA and Export options are far better than Lightwave's (I really need the Source Engine exports and Unreal Engine exports). From what I can gather, it seems like running them is quite beneficial as XSI includes Mental Ray, which can be a nice change of pace from Kray, even though I love using the trial version of it. I probably wouldn't buy it for quite some time as I need to save up and make some money before I can even think about affording it. I just wanted some opinions and possibly other reccomendations for a second app.

Yog
07-07-2006, 04:42 PM
My personal opinion is that XSI is an excellent companion app to LW, especially since XSI-5.1 now includes a cut down version of Point Oven, which allows XSI to natively import/export LWO's, including morph targets, UV maps and weight maps. It also allows you to export LWS and MDD files for animation transfer back to Lightwave.