PDA

View Full Version : zip/movie problems

Skinner3D
07-07-2006, 07:22 AM
My computer won't let me upload zip files is there another way to upload movie files?

Silkrooster
07-07-2006, 07:25 PM
Where are you trying to upload? Newtek had a problem with uploading files recently, which may be the cause of your problem.
Silk

Skinner3D
07-07-2006, 08:09 PM
I am trying to upload to the WIP. I just tested it and it seems that my laptop can upload but my desktop can't. I am nowhere near my desktop at the moment so I think it will have to wait until Monday.
Thanks Anyway:)

Kurtis
07-07-2006, 11:49 PM
Is this desktop at home or at work? Some business block the transmission of ZIP files for security reasons.

JamesCurtis
07-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Agree!! Businesses do block zips. I have a client that has that happen. I ussually just rename the file with a different extension to get around it.

Skinner3D
07-08-2006, 06:22 AM
8/ Hadn't though about that. The desktop is at my workspace here at BNL. My laptop is at the dorm here, but it seems to be on a different network or something.

How do you rename the file type and still keep it as a zip? I would like to try that, so that I don't have to use my jump drive every time I want to post.:)

Kurtis
07-08-2006, 07:06 AM
Changing the file extension doesn't actually change the file. It just keeps your system from recognizing what it is.

If you rename a ZIP file to say "*.xxx", it's still a ZIP. All you have to do is rename the file back to "*.zip", and it will show in your system as being a ZIP file again.

Skinner3D
07-10-2006, 06:27 AM
I renamed to file to .zlp and tried to upload it. No go. Did I miss some fundamentally basic thing?:foreheads. I will attempt to upload it from my laptop tonight. I hope it works.

Kurtis
07-10-2006, 06:25 PM
Don't know. Are you able to upload anything else from there? They may have blocked any file transfers outside the firewall.

roboanarchy
07-10-2006, 06:46 PM
They also may only allow certain file types, try renaming it .mp3 or .exe

Skinner3D
07-10-2006, 07:46 PM
:( :compbeati Tried to upload the file from my laptop and got the same results. Also tried renaming wrench.zip to wrench.jpg but my laptop renamed it again to wrench.jpg.zip. Any other ways I could load a movie? I don't have a website to link to. Seems to be only when there is a movie in the file. I tested a different zip and it uploaded fine.

roboanarchy
07-10-2006, 08:07 PM
You probably do not have the "view file extensions" tickbox enabled in your folder options, so when you rename it, it's hiding the real extension and simply adds what you type in front of that

Kurtis
07-10-2006, 08:09 PM
Don't know if it's free, but have you tried something like YouTube or FileCabi.net?

Silkrooster
07-12-2006, 06:09 PM
Skinner3d was able to upload both an avi and a zip file to my forum. I just tried to upload his zip file here and receive an upload error. The file size is 4.27 MB's.
Silk

taproot2
07-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Hey skinner, I can upload stills to the forum but i cant upload any of my zipped animations. I tried file sizes from 2meg to 17 meg same results, I believe the error message said something about an invalid link and I should contact an administrator if I believe this to be an error. I'll try again latter tonight and screen grab the message.
taproot2