PDA

View Full Version : Will v9 have support for exr???

wesleym
07-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Hello,

Just wandering if v9 will support exr and if not, are there plans to support it in the v9 cycle.

thanks,

wes

Celshader
07-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Just wandering if v9 will support exr and if not, are there plans to support it in the v9 cycle.

I don't know what the EXR plans are for LW9.x, but there's a free OpenEXR plug-in on Flay.com:
http://flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=1817

Matt
07-06-2006, 12:57 PM
I believe Mike Wolf is working on one too!

wesleym
07-06-2006, 01:00 PM
thanks Celshader,

Yes, this is a nice plugin.:) I use it very often. I was hoping that NewTek will add native support for exr and more export options than the rainmaker plugin from flay.

wes

RedBull
07-06-2006, 01:06 PM
Yes considering it's a feature i upgraded to LW8 for, i'm still a little unhappy LW9 has not mentioned a new OpenEXR Saver.
Yes the rainmaker one is quite bare in terms of capability.

NT need to address Intergration with After FX and Compositing Applications,
AfterFX Camera Data, And Open EXR are a must have for composition.
These types of problems really cost LW.

jayroth
07-06-2006, 01:08 PM
These items will be addressed during the 9.x development cycle.

Jay Roth

wesleym
07-06-2006, 01:12 PM

Thank you Jay for the reply! :) Great to hear!

NT need to address Intergration with After FX and Compositing Applications,
AfterFX Camera Data, And Open EXR are a must have for composition.
These types of problems really cost LW.

Yes, I agree with RedBull. Maybe camera data saved out as ASCII .ma files for use with Shake.

thanks,

wes

RedBull
07-06-2006, 11:56 PM
Yes thanks for the reply Jay, good to hear. Look forward to the full release of Lightwave 9 and beyond.

wesleym:

Yeah iv'e used Al's transmotion utilities Lscripts for a few years now, but a lot of people don't know about them. These days good integration with industry standard compositing applications are a necessary part of everyday production. I know Al's scripts export to Illusion, AE, Commotion, Shake,Combustion/Aura/Mirage and PI. I think AE has an ascii format.

I was disappointed to see Adobe release only Max and Maya support for AfterFX7. Considering LW's open scene and file formats.
I wonder if Adobe wrote them, or Autodesk asked them too.

Digital Fusion does open .cam and .mot files directly for example.
So generally i don't need it personally much these days, but i do understand just how important having a good pipeline to compositing applications is. I see C4D has gained quite a few customers just from their good integration with AFX.

When i started in LW, compositing and post work were considered a dirty word.
Now layered .PSD and High Dynamic Range images that contain depth are almost demanded for every shot. Post is an important part of the whole thing. OpenEXR is becoming increasingly popular now instead of .HDR.

Renderpasses and Multipass rendering are also things that will help LW stay up to date in the area of compositing and post integration.
Anyway i appreciate Jay's direct response and i'm looking forward to LW9's release and development.

wesleym
07-07-2006, 07:19 AM
RedBull:

I have the Transmotion utility pack and it's a great tool. I have to admit that I still have trouble getting things to line up correctly. I'm sure it's more my fault than anything. I contacted Al and he was super helpful. In LW 8, cam data was exported in RPF format, but I could never get it to line up in AE.

These days good integration with industry standard compositing applications are a necessary part of everyday production.

I can't agree more! I think if LW would aggressively go after tight intergration with apps like AE, Fusion and Shake, they would win over lots of customers. Just like how you mentioned C4d did.

I am starting to evaluate Fusion. How is it with LW intergration?

Renderpasses and Multipass rendering are also things that will help LW stay up to date in the area of compositing and post integration.

Yes, I would like to see more development in this area as well. I bought the Surpasses plugin a while back. I am a bit dissapointed in the purchase especially since I don't think it's even being developed anymore.

I started learning 3ds max lately (I have always hated this app). And I have to say, it's got a lot of great features. Namely, the gamma correction feature. I have researched for many months on working in a linear enviroment with LW for use with rendering exr files with HDR values. I have a whole process worked out and it works fine. I thought, well, if I am going to start using max in addition to LW, it has to be able to setup a linear enviroment. To my surprise, this is pretty much a one button click solution inside max! In LW, I have to go through this entire manual setup and rely on a plugin. Also, max has excellent exr support. Every app has it's strengths and weakness. For max, the material editor and modeling stinks in my opinion.

It would be awesome if LW had super tight intergration with the big compositing apps! At the price difference between LW and the max/maya juggernaut, they would make a killing. Easy intergration, an open-SDK and playing friendly with others, thats what I think would sell big.

Hey, this has been a good coversation! I like to talk about development without getting into software bashing. LW is a great tool and my favorite app, but other 3d apps are good too.

Yeah, I really appreciated Jay's response also. You can't beat the LW community and support. I mean, I doubt your gonna get the Autodesk president of 3d products to comment on your questions. Looking forward to v9!

wes

Celshader
07-07-2006, 09:21 AM
I am starting to evaluate Fusion. How is it with LW intergration?

LW+Fusion might be a bit better than LW+AfterFX at this time, though I know folks who still happily use LW+AfterFX. Check out the "Multipass" video:
ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/eyeon/PSD_Saving.mov

wesleym
07-07-2006, 12:02 PM
Cool! thanks Celshader, I will check it out.

wes

monovich
07-07-2006, 02:43 PM
great news that a newtek plugin will be released. it's such a powerful format.

adboy
08-23-2006, 04:39 PM
hey newtek u dont ahve to wait for a real lightwave point rellease to give us this plugin, anytime u want to send it isf fine by me :)

do aloto for compositing and full exr compatibility would help out alot

this is to great a format to let slip, all the major production companies are using this format so if we want to stay in the loop gotta get this moving

Aegis
08-23-2006, 04:55 PM
Check out this (http://www.db-w.com/content/view/77/78/) upcoming OpenEXR plugin for LightWave...

Red_Oddity
08-24-2006, 03:15 AM

Jay Roth

Jay? Does that mean you folks are gonna add a new EXR saver, or is the team going to give the entire saver system an overhaul aswell?
I'm asking because right now the entire saver system is, well, arkane, it would be great if the saver system in the render output let's you set file output options right there, and not via obscure Image Filters (really annoying, and very confusing for new LW users)
It would also mean you can size down that output pulldown, just set bit depth and channels right there, no need for an output/fileformat for every possible configuration (8, 16 and float, rgb or rgba...that's a lot you can conform into just one option box)

adboy
08-24-2006, 04:00 PM
oh and please let us have a distance range on the depth channel as in on the dstorm buffer saver :)

thanks

adboy
08-25-2006, 04:25 AM
oh and while your at it please please please make it so that we can use all the speacial buffers in one export panel rather that having to add it 4 times, not sure why its like this but its kinda silly

thanks in advance

Lightwolf
09-18-2006, 05:19 PM
oh and while your at it please please please make it so that we can use all the speacial buffers in one export panel rather that having to add it 4 times, not sure why its like this but its kinda silly

Unfortunately this is not possible with the current SDK. The first image filter gets the first special buffer, the second filter the second buffer etc... :(

Godd news though, exrTrader has been released today :) http://www.exrtrader.com

Cheers,
Mike - and I'll stop spamming all OpenEXR related threads now ;)

monovich
09-18-2006, 07:29 PM
Lightwolf, you are awesome. May piles of cash be heaped upon you. I'll be purchasing this on the first project that I do that uses EXR. (gotta make it a budget item)

thanks!

Lightwolf
09-19-2006, 01:12 AM
Lightwolf, you are awesome. May piles of cash be heaped upon you. I'll be purchasing this on the first project that I do that uses EXR. (gotta make it a budget item)
thanks!
Thank you :) You know that it provides basic OpenEXR reading and writing for free as image loaders and savers, right? So you can get accustomed to the file format now, and then unlock the Buffer saver later on if you need it.

Cheers,
Mike

pixelinfected
09-19-2006, 02:01 AM

Jay Roth

i hope that is not a simple exr saver, but a powerful saver like rpf, once of good thing of exr is the ability to storage different buffer in it, compress with zip algorithm, and use 32 bit range...

Lightwolf
09-19-2006, 03:03 AM
i hope that is not a simple exr saver, but a powerful saver like rpf, once of good thing of exr is the ability to storage different buffer in it, compress with zip algorithm, and use 32 bit range...
You might want to check out exrTrader ;)

Cheers,
Mike