PDA

View Full Version : Unable to save project.

eracer
07-06-2006, 12:38 PM
This is a baffling problem. When I try to save a project, one of two things happens:

1. For an existing project, the "save progress bar" goes about a third of the way and disappears. The changes are not saved.

2. For a new project, the .CG file is written, but the Image File Folder is not written.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the VT(4) software. The problem reappeared after a week.

The system is not connected to the internet, and no one has added any software to the system, except Digital Juice, and Bob's BloomFX.

Could an existing project file corrupt the CG module? Do I need to format my hard drive and reload XP and VT(4)?

Has anyone else ever experienced this?

Ivan
07-06-2006, 12:50 PM
How full is the drive you are saving to?

Ivan

eracer
07-06-2006, 02:08 PM
Less than half-full. And I've run a disk test on it and on the C: drive. No errors.

Jim Capillo
07-07-2006, 07:53 AM
Did you do anything that coincided with the timing and re-occurance ? Worked OK for a week ?

eracer
07-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Nothing different. Just went back to normal ops. Normal startups and shutdowns. Unit is on a good UPS, so no power spikes.

Jim Capillo
07-07-2006, 11:08 AM
That's strange. Although I didn't use the CG module much early on, I now pretty much use it all the time. I can't remember any save problems like that, even though I used to just save the image files by themselves in the client folder. Now I just save the whole project there.

I'd probably do an un/re install and watch closely to see if anything triggers it again.

eracer
07-07-2006, 11:52 AM
That's strange. Although I didn't use the CG module much early on, I now pretty much use it all the time. I can't remember any save problems like that, even though I used to just save the image files by themselves in the client folder. Now I just save the whole project there.

I'd probably do an un/re install and watch closely to see if anything triggers it again.

Yeah, it is very strange. My next step is going to be a re-install of XP. I'll need to save a few RTV and WAV files, but I'll trash everything else.

I'm saving the image files to a folder as a workaround until I can do the clean install of XP. I don't see how a corrupted .CG file could cause the program code to mess up, but that looks like what's happening.

Ivan
07-07-2006, 12:55 PM
I hate to see you reinstall, there has to be a better answer. Have you tried to do a Save Project As and go to a different drive? Do you have anything other than text in this? How many pages? How long are they?

Ivan

eracer
07-07-2006, 01:41 PM
I hate to see you reinstall, there has to be a better answer. Have you tried to do a Save Project As and go to a different drive? Do you have anything other than text in this? How many pages? How long are they?

Ivan

When the problem first happened, I was working with a .CG project that had about thirty modified templates saved as pages. The problem initially manifested as an inability to save the project. Then I opened a new project, and just created five simple text-only pages and tried to save. The project saved, but the folder with the image files was nowhere to be found.

I did try saving to a different drive. No joy.

tfrank
07-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Have experienced the same several times back to VT2 days and Windows 2000. Am now running 4.6 and the latest Win XP service pack and I've had it happen with this version. The only thing that I could do (dealer suggestion) was to reload the VT software. I've gotten very good at it. My last re-load (about 4 months ago) has been pretty "stable". If you do a search on this problem on this site, you'll find that you are not alone.

Ivan
07-07-2006, 10:19 PM
This is just a guess but find the original graphics and be sure they are not read only. Have you tried doing a Ctrl-VT and saying Yes to reset all modules?

Ivan

eracer
07-10-2006, 10:06 AM
This is just a guess but find the original graphics and be sure they are not read only. Have you tried doing a Ctrl-VT and saying Yes to reset all modules?

Ivan

I understand the logic of this with the existing projects, but how would "read-only" files cause the CG Designer to not create an image file folder when I try to save a brand-new text-only .cg project?

I reinstalled the software. Isn't this the same as "reset all modules"? Or does that affect some files that an uninstall/reinstall doesn't touch.

Note that the first thing I tried was "Reset Configs". That didn't help anything.

Thanks

BTW - does the CG Designer use WMP for anything file-related? Could WMP file association settings or privacy settings affect the CG Designer in any way?

Ivan
07-10-2006, 10:21 AM
The read only thing should not be part of the problem but I have seen this cause other issues within VT including lockups. As there seems to be no other easy solution I just thought it may be one thing to check. If it's text only, it should have no effect. What font are you using? I really haven't seen this behavior since VT2.

Ivan

wvp
07-31-2006, 07:12 AM
I have three people sharing a VT. ONE of them reports this very same problem.
When you re-install VT (for any reason) it is wise to follow protocols listed in an old forum - basically it involves uninstalling (newest to oldest builds), then searching and deleting for files left behind, then searching the registry and deleting entries in there.
This gives you a completly clean re-install. Its possible that would fix it. If I get to that point and it works I'll let you know.