PDA

View Full Version : Testing Attachments

cstein
07-05-2006, 09:57 AM
Attachments were broken recently as the attachment database table exceeded the default MySQL limits. The table size has been increased, and attachments should be working again (but I'm testing to make sure!).

Charles Steinkuehler
:newtek:

DragonFist
07-05-2006, 06:17 PM
There are still many that are not showing. At least for me and a few others.

cstein
07-05-2006, 06:49 PM
There are still many that are not showing. At least for me and a few others.
Please clarify "are not showing".

Are you trying to upload a new attachment, or view an existing one?

If the latter, please provide a URL/message# so I can test here.

DragonFist
07-05-2006, 06:50 PM
In actuallity, I have NO attachments in my attachment history. My guess is that is the problem at this time.

JeffRutan
07-05-2006, 07:12 PM
The WIP forum usually shows a thumbnail for every post, and now all it shows is an "N" placeholder for all, and many thumbnail/image links are missing from the user threads.
-Jeff

Weetos
07-06-2006, 01:21 AM
It's ok for most attachments, but one image is missing in my attachment listing :stumped:

Wickster
07-06-2006, 02:28 AM
Actually all the attachments (the one i've checked) on the beta forum seems sto be missing completely. Not the image attachements but files like zips and rars are all missing.

flohtzke
07-06-2006, 03:10 AM
hi all

therefore i couldn't find the plugin nitisara did make

thanks

Skinner3D
07-06-2006, 06:18 AM
:agree:
Actually all the attachments (the one i've checked) on the beta forum seems sto be missing completely. Not the image attachements but files like zips and rars are all missing.

Every attachment posted before a couple of days ago seems to have disappeared.

Scazzino
07-06-2006, 06:43 AM
I'm still not seeing any of the attachments in the Work-in-progress gallery or the Finished gallery. The only images showing up there are links to images hosted on third party sites. All the images that were originally uploaded to the forum are missing.

As an example all the images that I had attached to my BlastOff! WIP (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52984) are gone. The first few messages each had a number of attachments... as referred to by the text...

You can also tell by looking at the WIP thread list (http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=130) and the Finished gallery list (http://www.newtek.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23). They used to show thumbnails of the first attachment in each thread. They are all now blank...

Scazzino
07-06-2006, 07:01 AM
The only attachments showing up in my CP Attachments history are from 2004 and earlier... I've posted many since then that are all missing...

Engelbrite
07-06-2006, 08:36 AM
Attachments still not there (check the node gallery)

cstein
07-06-2006, 08:52 AM
The great bit-bucket in the sky seems to have eaten a bunch of the attachemnts when the table index size was increased. :oye:

I'm working on restoring what I can from backups...

Scazzino
07-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Yikes! :compbeati

:goodluck:

cstein
07-06-2006, 10:44 AM
I've done what I can, but several recent backups were scrambled and unusable.

I did manage to recover about a Gig of what had been lost, but it looks like most of the attachments from Feb '06 to the present are gone. :cry:

I'll keep trying to see if I can get anything from tape backups, but I'm not expecting to be able to recover any more. :bangwall:

:newtek:Charles Steinkuehler

Scazzino
07-06-2006, 11:43 AM
Yikes! :eek:

Would it be possible to allow us to edit our older WIP posts then, to re-upload the attachments if we have them?

:help:

I've got most of the images that I had uploaded to my BlastOff WIP (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52984) and could re-upload them (if editing were turned back on for old posts). That way at least if someone wants to read the thread, it'll make sense again... right now it refers to many missing images throughout...

JeffRutan
07-06-2006, 12:42 PM
If you let us edit, I can re-upload all of mine too.
I really hope you will allow this for at least the WIP Gallery. I believe the history of project posts from various artists is a valuable resource for learning to many of us!
Please consider this.
Thanks,
-Jeff

Scazzino
07-06-2006, 12:54 PM
I'd also allow the finished gallery posters to update theirs... The galleries are now rather useless, full of threads referencing non-existent attachments...

:gotpics:

Scazzino
07-07-2006, 08:54 AM
Hello...
:bump:

Any possibility allowing us to edit our past posts to re-upload the lost attachments?

FranK10
07-08-2006, 11:13 AM
I've done what I can, but several recent backups were scrambled and unusable.

I did manage to recover about a Gig of what had been lost, but it looks like most of the attachments from Feb '06 to the present are gone.

I'll keep trying to see if I can get anything from tape backups, but I'm not expecting to be able to recover any more.

Arghh. Does this mean that all beta forum examples posted by people are gone forever? :compbeati
They were a very valuable resource for all to learn more of LW9. Imagine people that still don't have LW9 and must start learn it...

But aren't backups just for this cases? Where did you make yours? On CD or removable?
Now, I'm frustrated by PCs.

JeffRutan
07-08-2006, 01:32 PM
This is indeed a tragic loss of many valuable resources!
I suggest anyone who has backups of their own more significant example images should repost them for the benefit of the community (especially wire shots in the WIP gallery).
It looks like NewTek is not going to let us edit past posts, so I think we should just append image posts to old threads and/or start new threads with reposted images.
-Jeff

GCL
07-08-2006, 02:08 PM
OK...that explains why for quite a while I am not able to see the images within posted messages. Has been for some weeks now.

Scazzino
07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
It looks like NewTek is not going to let us edit past posts, so I think we should just append image posts to old threads and/or start new threads with reposted images.
-Jeff

That's what it looks like since there was no response to our requests...

So, I started a new thread for my BlastOff! A 3D Animated Short WIP (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53591) where I've been reposting some of my lost image attachments. I've also started a BlastOff! WIP page on my own studio's site (http://dreamlight.com/insights/12/welcome.html), DreamLight.com (http://DreamLight.com/), where I can post the QuickTime animation file and keep it updated by adding current shots, without worrying about losing anything again.

cstein
07-12-2006, 09:20 AM
That's what it looks like since there was no response to our requests...

Patience, grasshopper!

Yesteray, I got permission to allow users to edit previous posts. This morning I changed the edit time-window from it's former value of 20 minutes to 0 (posts may be edited indefinitely).

Please try to edit/add attachments to a previous post and report if it works.

Our usual forums guru (Chuck) is VERY busy getting LW9 out the door, and I'm not as familiar with all the vublletin knobs, bells, and whistles as he is...

Charles Steinkuehler
:newtek:

Scazzino
07-12-2006, 10:00 AM
Cool! :cool:

Sorry for jumping the gun... :foreheads

I should have figured that everyone was busy getting LW9 out the door and that this glitch would be dealt with in due time.

I'll give it a shot...

:dance:

Scazzino
07-12-2006, 10:07 AM
Works like a charm!

Now we can repost the lost images. :thumbsup:

Thanks!
:bowdown: