PDA

View Full Version : Hello.. newbie here: mac or pc? desktop or laptop?

notanexpert
07-05-2006, 09:21 AM
hello.. i'm a newbie here.. i'm currently a student, and i want to study abroad to be a college student (in germany) studying architecture...
i've been using a lightwave since i'm in highschool.. and now because i want to leave my comp in my house, i want to but a laptop..

here some questions i want to ask you guys, the-lightwave-experts :D :
1. should i buy a mac or a pc? i've been seeing mac ads and now i think i want a mac.. :D
2. should i buy a laptop, or a desktop comp? i know that desktop is cheaper than laptop, but what do u think? with it's mobility etc. i want a comp with great performance on 3d, and would still be "quite cool computer" in the next 5 years... should i buy laptop, which is cannot be upgraded, or pc?
3. in which platform, or in which form (desktop or laptop) Lightwave perform the best? (although i'm thinking if lightwave not that good in mac.. maybe i'll go to cinema 4d.. sigh.. i love Modeler!!)

regards,
me
(sorry for bad english)

mjcrawford
07-05-2006, 10:44 AM
1. it depends on what you feel better on, I use PC and have no problems, one of my partners uses Mac and she loves it.

2. it depends on your priorities, do you need power, or mobility? I have a quad processor duel graphics cards desktop monster, and a single processor single graphics chip laptop, both run LW just fine but my desktop has multi monitors (nice for seeing your work) and for rendering, a machine like my laptop takes many times longer to render the same frame.

3. I would defer to others on this one, but I personally find that LW works best on a high power PC desktop machine.

jwilli3
07-05-2006, 11:23 AM
Those Mac ads you've been seeing would be the worst reason to purchase one (macs never ever crash, suuuurrrreeee). Try one out and see if you like it and decide from there.

steamthunk
07-05-2006, 12:02 PM
I still enjoy fiddling around with PC components now and then and like to game so PCs have appeal to me. If you're going to move a computer all the way to Germany from Indonesia though you may do better with a laptop. Mac/PC whatever...get something you'll stand using for a couple of years.

Penforhire
07-05-2006, 02:44 PM
Check with the schools you want to attend. You may be nearly forced to have a laptop anyway, depending on your studies.

Speedmonk42
07-05-2006, 05:30 PM
If you are going mobile, then maybe you should get a lappy.

PC Lappy, Apple is still cornholing its customers on hardware.

notanexpert
07-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Hey, thx for all ur answers...i think i'll buy a laptop. Some of my friends told me that now hand-outs are given by bluetooth or such.. hmmmm cool! :D between mac and pc... i'll think it again later, but is it true that mac can't have virus? hang? hmmm i'll try my friends mac then..
Btw, i'm influenced by a lot by mac fans when i'm searching about mac versus pc, and this site came out: http://macvspc.info ... makes me think, should i buy mac then? hmmm but i love lightwave... but microsoft is bad(a they stole from apple)... :stumped: but one thing for sure.. i'll buy a laptop then... :D

thx 4 all ur answers.. it really helps :D

regards,
me

nomad108
07-05-2006, 05:44 PM
Be sure your laptop has a good video card. I recommend GeForce. It works quite well in my Vaio. LW runs very well. Also, you can connect a second monitor to drag all your boxes onto and keep your work space clean. :D

gatz
07-05-2006, 06:30 PM
I wouldn't pick a laptop as my main work machine. They seem to depreciate faster than a desktop unit. As for whether to get a PC or Mac. Get both. Buy an MacTel.;)

The caveats are: MacTel desktops aren't due for a couple months (several months to shipping). BootCamp and Parallels are still in their infancy so there are rough edges.

mjcrawford
07-05-2006, 06:32 PM
Be sure your laptop has a good video card. I recommend GeForce. It works quite well in my Vaio. LW runs very well. Also, you can connect a second monitor to drag all your boxes onto and keep your work space clean. :D

the ATI cards can work well also, my lappy has just a x300 and it runs LW great! (as long as the poly count is under 100k per layer)

and no, Mac's are not imune to viriuses.. they just don't get as many becasue most viruses are designed to infect windows.. course if you keep your antivirius up to date and use common sense you shoule be fine eather way.

Teig
07-05-2006, 06:58 PM
I work as a Network administrator in a dual platform shop. I have reciently purchased a MacBook Pro Laptop. It has a Dual-Core 2.0GHz Intel processor, 2 GB of RAM, ATI Radion x1600 w/256MB 100 GB Drive, and DVD recorder. All told with extended warranty I have about $ 2800 in it. The important thing is it will boot Windows XP PRO. It is comparable to the Dell 610 we purchased in both price and features. You now have a choice to run Windows on a PC or Both on a Mac. Check them out to see if it is a good fit for you.

The Wizzard
07-05-2006, 10:08 PM
I do ALL my LW work on a Laptop...

I got a Dell Inspiron 9100. It's a a Intel P4 3.02Gig HT only 512Mb ram but a Radeon 9600 256m graphics card. Multipul monitor out and TV!! I can get 5 (inc Screen) monitors on this little puppy!

Well, i say little it's a beast! Hailed as a "Desktop replacement" these machines are heavy but it has got the Ooompff to get the work done. Runs Sony vegas like a trooper and will also play all those games!

I got mine from eBay... a total bargin at 550 !!! And it's not even stolen! All registered to me now after some phone calls to Dell.

In short... Laptop defo - I love working in the garden on those sunny days LOL

Good luck with the courses.

DiedonD
07-06-2006, 05:12 AM
I had a Laptop too, which I considered it to be a beast at that time. It was:

160GB disk space, 3.4 GHz of speed, 7Inxh screen, could add several monitors, and TV even, was heavy, though not heavy, heavy, just not that light, and it had NVIDIA 5800 Go graphic card dual.

It never worked as well. Always there were some flaws. Either the key issues like points could be seen upon selection, or the blue line wasnt visible, and the such of small but annoying problems. After a while, I haded with it, and selled it for 750 EUros and a UPS power supply. Half of the original price.

Now I truly have a best at home, but its a desktop.

So my point is this: If your tight on cash, and wanna invest securely on a computer, you should by a destop by all means.

Laptops, that is if your not as lucky as The Wizard, are not a secure way to go for a beginner. What they have in physical mobility, they lack in time mobility. You can always replace desktops parts, and move on with time, but you cant do that most of the time in latops, not in the same price anyway.

So there you go. And because Im a PC user, never heard a good thing about Mac, usually all people in my city even hate and belower Mac users, I cant say anything good about it. Again, you want to go secure buy a PC/Desktop, wanna experiment, buy a Mac/Laptop.

Regards
Diedon

DiedonD
07-06-2006, 05:13 AM
I had a Laptop too, which I considered it to be a beast at that time. It was:

160GB disk space, 3.4 GHz of speed, 7Inxh screen, could add several monitors, and TV even, was heavy, though not heavy, heavy, just not that light, and it had NVIDIA 5800 Go graphic card dual.

It never worked as well. Always there were some flaws. Either the key issues like points could be seen upon selection, or the blue line wasnt visible, and the such of small but annoying problems. After a while, I haded with it, and selled it for 750 EUros and a UPS power supply. Half of the original price.

Now I truly have a best at home, but its a desktop.

So my point is this: If your tight on cash, and wanna invest securely on a computer, you should by a destop by all means.

And its not a good idea to go for Cinema 4D neither, cause then... you wont have us :thumbsup:

Laptops, that is if your not as lucky as The Wizard, are not a secure way to go for a beginner. What they have in physical mobility, they lack in time mobility. You can always replace desktops parts, and move on with time, but you cant do that most of the time in latops, not in the same price anyway.

So there you go. And because Im a PC user, never heard a good thing about Mac, usually all people in my city even hate and belower Mac users, I cant say anything good about it. Again, you want to go secure buy a PC/Desktop, wanna experiment, buy a Mac/Laptop.

Regards
Diedon

Gui Lo
07-06-2006, 07:36 PM
Go get a Macbook Pro laptop so there is no need to choose.

I use a PC desktop and a iBook(Mac) laptop.
I never switch off the laptop and use it like an oversized PDA and with the new Macbooks you get the best of Mac and PC(Lightwave) worlds.

That is the hardware/OS but the real killer is the bundled software. No PC is bundled with the same quality of software for graphics usage as a Mac at the price.

When you try your friends please look at the integration of iPhoto, iTunes, iMovie, iDVD, iWeb and Grageband.

Gui Lo

fyborg_1138
07-06-2006, 08:46 PM
I would personally choose a laptop computer to be used at university. Though a desktop can be faster, more powerful and less expensive than a laptop, assume the computer will be used for more than just sitting at your desk at home working with LightWave (e.g., word processing, spreadsheets, email). You will probably want other programs that you may not know you need at this time. Unless you live in a dormitory or residence that has high-speed Internet access, the portability of a laptop allows you to go to the university library, computer lab, classroom, public area or local business and tap into their wireless or a T1 connection for downloading programs, music and videos. It also allows you to tap into a networked printer in a computer lab (our computer lab printers are Internet capable so I can send a print job to the Art Department's computer lab printer from anywhere on campus or from home). A laptop will also allow you to show off your LightWave skills and achievements to friends and colleagues without having to drag them all to your place to strut your stuff. If money is not limited, then I would suggest getting a desktop for home and a laptop to carry around.

Also, if you are living in a dormitory with a roommate, it is easier to hide or lock up a laptop than a desktop. This will prevent an invited guest of your roommate, or your roommate, or an uninvited guest from messing with or stealing your computer.

BTW, purchase a lock and cable for the laptop and lock it to a chair or something when using it in a public place. It is amazing how fast a laptop can disappear from a table or desk if you step away from it for a moment or are intentionally distracted by a thief's accomplice. And be sure to back up your work on a thumb drive or two kept somewhere other than the same backpack that has your laptop in it so if your laptop does get stolen or crashes, you haven't lost an entire semester's worth of homework (hey, it happens). Instructors will not care about the excuse, " My computer ate my homework." Be a geek, wear a thumbdrive on a lanyard around your neck.

As to the decision whether to go with Wintel or Macs, my choice would be Wintel, specifically, Dell. I have been buying computers from Dell for a decade (seven so far) and haven't been disappointed* (yet). I would buy a computer that is one step down from the highest performance model. Though the computer would not be state of the art, it could be relied on to be "useful" for the next five years. You also would not be paying a premium for buying state of the art hardware.

Off topic: *Three of the five rubber feet on my Dell Inspiron 5100 laptop fell off last year one week after the warranty ran out. The cheap, double-sticky tape adhesive used to attach the feet appeared to be a manufacturing defect that left many disgruntled customers based on Dell's own customer service forum. Rather than pay $5 per rubber foot plus shipping to replace them, I went to the local hardware store and bought some rubber gasket sheet, cut five rubber feet to shape and Superglued them in place. Problem solved

Double Off topic:

Which brings up some interesting dialog on the Dell service forum where a customer was trying to get warranty replacement for rubber feet that had fallen off and disappeared. He was arguing with the customer service rep who kept insisting that he needed to return the rubber feet to Dell so as not to be charged for the replacement feet and the customer kept insisting that the rubber feet had disappeared when they fell off and if he had them, he would have glued them back on. That's why he needed replacements. Catch-22. He had to return the lost rubber feet in order not to be charged for the warranty replacement parts.