PDA

View Full Version : 3d Software phone survey

jds580s
06-02-2003, 12:45 PM
Today I received a call from a woman conducting a tele-survey.

She asked my initial opinion of the following packages:
Maya
Softimage XSI
Lightwave
3d Studio Max
Messiah
Cinima 4D

Then she had me rate different aspects of the packages on a 1 to 5 scale 1=I don't agree 3=no opinion 5=I agree

Here are the questions I remember:
Has a strong company behind it
Good for Rendering
Good for Modeling
Good for Logo Animation
Good for Character Animation
A value for the Money
3rd Party Plugins are needed for good results

And then she asked which packages I owned.

Once finished she said she represented one of the companies listed above and was conducting research for them. I asked, since I had finished the survey, if she could say which one, but she could not. I asked if the results would be published anywhere and she said no, they would only be used internally for product development. Finally I asked where she was calling from and she answered Maryland. Probably just with a market research group since none of the companies have office there.

Has anyone else been contacted about this survey?

Justin

Matt
06-02-2003, 12:51 PM
doesn't sound like a NewTek strategy to me.

mattclary
06-02-2003, 01:19 PM
That's just weird! Where did you get this call, home or work? They have to have gotten your number from something 3D related...

Doug Nicola
06-02-2003, 01:31 PM
Maybe the Architect is doing research to decide what he should use to build the next revision of the Matrix. He would probably have your phone number wherever you were...

jds580s
06-02-2003, 02:25 PM
I'm freelance, so it was on my home office line during regular business hours. That number could easily be found online or in databases from online purchases of business related items etc...

It didn't sound like NewTek to me either, and I can't imagine A|W or Discreet wasting time & money on direct phone surveys. But that's just my guess.

Justin

Wade
06-02-2003, 09:20 PM
That makes two of us. I think someone is serious about knowing the market.

Castius
06-02-2003, 11:47 PM
Called me tonight at home. After it was over I asked her some questions, she was nice about it but would not give and drop of information. She said she was not alowed give any info as to who she worked for. Or what the servey was for other than it was for the benfit of users of 3d software.

meshmaster
06-03-2003, 06:50 AM
Could be a con artist or scammer, but it really sounds like the folks that make Maya... They called me once after I downloaded the Maya PLE and requested a demo cd from their site.

electroNIX
06-03-2003, 08:48 AM
well, the guys from our german maya retailer called me too because i DL PLE, but he was offering me to come to some free demoshow... no survey whatsoever...

riki
06-06-2003, 06:46 AM
Man that would freak me. I'm not sure that I would be too happy about being targetted for market research if it was evident that they had some kind of background info on me.