PDA

View Full Version : New poster-dumb question

LORDCHILL
07-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Hello everyone, i'm new to this forum, and, quite new to lightwave and computers in general. A little background: 2 years ago literally couldn-t turn one on, then in a prolonged fit of artistic frustration, inspiration, and intoxication i managed to build one and become somewhat proficient on lightwave modeler(7) and am now neck deep in trying to perfect my new found, yet humble skills in animation and anything lightwave.
I have decided to embark on a foray into Lightwave 101-interactive training course and curriculum guide. A cursory glance puts my skill level at about half way through, but being entirely taught through tutorials, reading arm-thick books, and general trial and error (more error than anything :screwy: ) it is likely i will learn something from even the first couple of lessons.
NOW FOR THE QUESTION: Has anyone tried this course out and how do you rate it? I know it's pretty new and likely only newbs like me would use it, but anyones opinion on it will be considered useful. And, in the future, i promise i-ll make my posts shorter! thanks all!!

ShawnStovall
07-03-2006, 08:49 PM
Is this the one with the girl on front of the disk?

LORDCHILL
07-03-2006, 09:09 PM
yeah, with lightning bolts shooting outta her hands

ShawnStovall
07-03-2006, 10:19 PM
BAD

It is a very bad coarse and you should not get it!! It barley teaches anything, so I dropped it and went for Inside LightWave [8].

Gyphon
07-03-2006, 10:47 PM
Double from me with the Inside LightWave [8] recomendation. Definitly a good buy to discover those areas you never new you needed to learn. It comes with a disk with a wackload of video tutorials.

LORDCHILL
07-03-2006, 11:50 PM
To late, i already got it. I'll zip thru it anyway, since i already paid for it. Since i haven-t upgraded to 8 yet (still on 7, but planning to pick up 9 in the fall for my new machine {sli, dual core, all that craptacular stuff}), i'll squeeze what i can out of it, it was only $75 anyway. Incidentally, i already own inside lightwave 7, and i assume 8 is just as useful a book, although, i-m wondering if the differences between the two are so big it can-t be learned the hard way rather quickly (i-m real big on learning things the hardway:screwy: ). Thanks guys, so many of these forums treat noobs like they are never gonna be anything but, like they were born with the **** hanging out of their ***. It-s refreshing :thumbsup: .

Hipcheck
07-04-2006, 10:31 AM
I would highly recommend the Kurv Studios video tutes as well!

LORDCHILL
07-04-2006, 03:07 PM
I haven't come across that yet, hipcheck, could you provide a link? Thanks.

JeffRutan
07-05-2006, 10:37 AM
I can't recommend highly enough any of the materials from Dan Ablan!

http://www.3dgarage.com/

He has Signature Courses for LW 7, 8, and preorder for 9, in addition to great books.
His teaching style is unmatched for the kind of learning you are talking about here. His Signature Courses are the best at taking you quickly and thoroughly through the core of the applications and teaching with simple practical projects the details of the program that are often missed. There is nothing else out there for such a comprehensive LightWave education on video.

For more focused tutorials, I would also recommend some of the KURV videos:

http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/

The Vehicle Modeling set really can't be beat!

-Jeff

SplineGod
07-06-2006, 09:50 AM
Lordchill,
Many of the kurv videos are produced by myself. Ive also got online courses that Ive been teaching for several years. Theres links in my sig to my courses as well as several hours of free videos that are also mirrored on KURVS site. :)

LORDCHILL
07-07-2006, 03:43 AM
Cool, thanks everyone, that ought to keep me busy for a couple of months.:thumbsup: