PDA

View Full Version : Pixel Art Program?

PuG
07-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Hi, just wondering if anyone here has used the Pixel art program (http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/) - trying the demo and so far been very impressed!

Very much like Photoshop, accept at the moment its only $32 - Project seems fairly active.

I came across it as I was looking for a resonable art program that ran on Linux other than Gimp, buts its multiplatform.

http://www.kanzelsberger.com/img/winxp.png

Regards!

BazC
07-03-2006, 12:09 PM
Feature wise I was quite impressed but it's VERY unstable for me.

Captain Obvious
07-03-2006, 03:14 PM
REALLY REALLY REALLY unstable. I couldn't even load files.

PuG
07-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Currently running on a Linux build, only had it lock once and that was during program loading.

Beta 7 is due out today at somepoint which should help resolve some of the bugs as they are now mainly concentrating on bugfixes until the first official release.

Still I may go ahead and buy a License as for $32 is cheep and might be money well spent as it include free upgrades until version 2.

Dodgy
07-04-2006, 09:14 AM
Can't find the download page, I get a 404...

Captain Obvious
07-04-2006, 01:22 PM
To be honest, I think you're better off with the GIMP.

Captain Obvious
07-04-2006, 02:24 PM
Okay, that was just horrible. If the creator reads this, I am sorry for the rough words, but d-a-m-n! This isn't a beta version. It's barely even an alpha version.

Here's an inexhaustive list of things that are wrong with it (Mac version):

*It only loads JPEGs, TIFFs and BMPs. What good is an image editor that can't even load PNGs?

*The file selector doesn't respond well to mouse clicks. Sometimes, clicking works. Sometimes, it doesn't. Sometimes, clicking twice doesn't do anything, but clicking something else a few seconds later behaves as if you double-clicked.

*Horrendously unstable. Loading HDR files crashes it every single time. Sneezing can crash it.

*There are loads of graphical problems. Tearings, windows that don't redraw when they should, etc etc etc.

*Poor workflow.

*The file selector cannot follow symlinks or aliases, which makes it very clunky to nagivate around. Not to mention that it displays ALL files.

*I can appreciate that they want to make it platform agnostic, even in the user interface, but this is way too extreme. A few examples:
- It uses a single "workspace" window, like Photoshop on Windows. You do NOT do this with Mac apps! If you open a bunch of images in Pixel, they're all contained within that single window. It's retarded, to say the least. It's not at all applicable in the windowing metaphore used in Mac OS X.

- The normal ways of opening files does not work with Pixel. You can't drag-n-drop images into the workspace window to open them. You can't drag them to the Dock icon to open them. You can't even right-click and "open with... Pixie" to open them! The only way is to use the file selector inside the app.

- The file selector starts at the root of the hard drive. If you want to load an image from your ~/Pictures folder, you'll have to navigate there from the root. With no shortcuts what-so-ever.

- If you restart the app (which you'll do very often, what with the instability), the file selector's location is reset back to the root of the hard drive, rather than the previous one.

Thank god for Gimpshop.

PuG
07-05-2006, 02:41 AM
Its all good feedback, you should post on the guys site - he seems to listen to what people are telling him.

If you read the frontpage the developer has just bought a new Shiny Apple Mac.

So far ive had no problems in Linux, its more than usable. :screwy:

Download page - http://www.kanzelsberger.com/pixel/?page_id=4

The only reason im so keen on the project is it does appear to have potential of being a real alternative to Photoshop, & for 5th of the price when its fully released great for hobbiests - at the moment hes taking user suggestions so its a chance for the community to put real input into its design flow of the program.

Thats my view atleast :)

Regards!

lilrayray77
07-05-2006, 07:15 AM
Anyone try it with a tablet yet?

tischbein3
07-05-2006, 07:49 AM
The only reason im so keen on the project is it does appear to have potential of being a real alternative to Photoshop,

More than agree.

Tell me another program wich is currently out there and at least TRIES to be an ps alternative / beeing better. :D

So I decided to see these 32 bucks more as a supportive donation.

@Captain Obvious
The win version allows you to switch to the standard file requester. I do not know if this is possible with mac version.

hdr and openexr file format is currently not supported after all, you have to convert them to floating point tiff or portable floatmap.

This is perhaps the biggest problem with pixel:
Things wich are not, or worsely implemented are rather leading to crashes or simply do not function, instead of beeing deactivated.

Captain Obvious
07-07-2006, 08:19 PM
hdr and openexr file format is currently not supported after all, you have to convert them to floating point tiff or portable floatmap.
A) If it can't load OpenEXR or even Radiance, what good is it for a 3D artist?

B) And if it can't load them, why does the file requester even let me try?

I still feel Gimpshop or Cinepaint are better alternatives to Photoshop.

tischbein3
07-07-2006, 10:53 PM
Maybe I have build up the wrong impression:

A) If it can't load OpenEXR or even Radiance, what good is it for a 3D artist?

fpTiff is also high dynamic range, although this is the less optimal of all three file formats.
You can use hdrshop to convert for testing purposes...

B) And if it can't load them, why does the file requester even let me try?

Good Question !
As said, this is maybe the worst thing of current pixel:
a lot of things are shown wich aren't / worsely implemented.

I still feel Gimpshop or Cinepaint are better alternatives to Photoshop.

I don't feel comfortable to compare software, especially I don't want to compare open source vs payed. If I would do, this would go into a multible page monologue,wich I also wouldn't post in public.
(BTW, using gimp 2.3.9dev release and I don't want to miss it)

In short:Imho the best alternative to ps is a combination of multible programs, Still not a single program has the abillity to cope with it by feature.
(And as said before, I think most of the developers / users feel quite comfortable with this.)

pixel at its current state is not production stable
(and by looking into the bug tracker, I'm not even sure beta 7 will be),
and therefore its definitive not an alternative,
and its really good thing you pointed this out.

but I do think because it do focus on those parts most of the no/low/mid cost gfx applications usually neglect it got the potential
becoming it in the next 6-12 months.

chris
(impatiently waiting for glasgow. :) )

PuG
07-08-2006, 03:04 AM
Captain Obvious - You have to remember its still very much under development, the new beta will resolve some more issues, and so will beta 8, 9 and until its a suitable product to go on sale.

I wouldn't be so quick to write it off, it does have potential as all software at this stage in production tends to be unstable (just more so with Pixel :) ) - the program core seems to be fine, its just the extras that need further work - the person who's developing it is certainly keen.

I can see your negative towards the program/project, so you would be better to walk away, keep to bookmark and check back every month or so.

Few programs incorporate features from Photoshop that to be honest are basic and required in graphics these days. Why reinvent the wheel. Most, if they do have unusable interface.

Pixels done a good job of incorporating some of the better parts of Photoshop, along with the potential of new tools, new ideas.

Its also good that the person behind it can be talked to and allows the user for a direct input in relation to the developer & development.

Talk to them, submit bug reports - its the only way to help improve it

Regards!

Captain Obvious
07-08-2006, 08:21 AM
You can use hdrshop to convert for testing purposes...
No Mac version of HDR Shop...

PuG:

I'll definitely check back on Pixel every now and then. But many of the design choices the developers have made makes me highly doubtful if I'll like it even if it did become stable enough to be usable. Things like the workspace window really annoys me.

PuG
07-08-2006, 11:17 AM
I'll definitely check back on Pixel every now and then. But many of the design choices the developers have made makes me highly doubtful if I'll like it even if it did become stable enough to be usable. Things like the workspace window really annoys me.

Their are some default Layouts you can select, or make you own panel layout - simply close move or resize.

I can understand the idea behind the work spaces, it could be handy having a fresh screen if working with certain textures, whether it gets used is another thing :)

I know hes just done a Beta 7 build for the Mac, which if you own a license you can already access/download it from the members area.

Regards!