PDA

View Full Version : autocad in LW help?

burvis
07-03-2006, 07:42 AM
does anyone know if there is a way to bring in or convert auotcad files(.dwg files) into modeler?

I have a client who gave me the cad files...of course I said "sure I can work from these"... I downloaded autoCAD and opened them up??? I can see the floor plan but am not a cad user, so the program is totally forien to me

any ides? thanks!

Chris

Signal to Noise
07-03-2006, 04:10 PM
... I downloaded autoCAD and opened them up...

And what do you mean by "downloaded AutoCAD"?

If you are running a legitimate business then you should own legitimate software.

burvis
07-03-2006, 04:42 PM
thanks to all of you, just got bck to this...I could save out from autocad to a .dxf....

hey "signal to noise" take a chill pill!! most software provides a 30 day trail.... I own so many programs it would make your head swim!

Signal to Noise
07-03-2006, 04:54 PM
Ah, no worries. Pill taken. :)

Forgot about the trial version. There's a trial for every software out there except for LW. ;)

I use AutoCAD @ work. Let me know if you run into any problems.

joao
07-03-2006, 05:02 PM
best way really is to open the dwg file in illustrator and export is an eps....
creating a 10m by 10m square in it to help you scale it properly in modeler...
illustrator has an unusually good dwg importer and lightwave has an unusually good eps importer....

caddaraman
07-03-2006, 05:18 PM
You would do yourself a big favor by trying out accutrans. Accutrans solved most all of my conversion nightmares ie: Autocad dxf to lwo and as a bonus it gives you great control over the resolution of arcs imported into lw. Also search for a free plugin called surface split

burvis
07-03-2006, 05:22 PM
when I load the dxf into modeler it's just a bunch of 2D lines, that can be extruded... so this works, but theres so much data that is essentially missed...like counter height, door openings etc.

does an eps give me anything more than the 2d lines in modeler?

robk
07-03-2006, 08:35 PM
Try accutrans
You would do yourself a big favor by trying out accutrans. Accutrans solved most all of my conversion nightmares ie: Autocad dxf to lwo and as a bonus it gives you great control over the resolution of arcs imported into lw. Also search for a free plugin called surface split

I second that motion about Accutrans. I have been using it for 12 years now and the author has added many features I have requested (helps that we go for lunch just about every thursday so I get to bug him about it). It is an Excellent program that is worth many times the price. Just bring Autocad files over as Version 12 dxf files and solids should be saved out a .3DS files.

Find it at the address below:
http://www.micromouse.ca/

burvis
07-04-2006, 09:23 PM
I was able to load into modeler by saving out the dxf from AC, but it is essentially just the lines that I can work from...but theres no dementions to work from. I am an accomplished LW artist www.burningvisions.com and could manage from there but.....

I've attached some of the dwg files that I have from the client, some show up in the preview (when loading in AC before you actually double click) where I can see the side of the building...bun when it opens in AC it's just a bunch of ?? coordinates.

can Accutrans (as caddaraman stated) save the dwg 3d stuff then out to .lwo

Is there some way to do some of the extrusions and save out as a dxf then? Thanks for your time if you have any answers

Chris

robk
07-04-2006, 10:18 PM
I've attached some of the dwg files that I have from the client, some show up in the preview (when loading in AC before you actually double click) where I can see the side of the building...bun when it opens in AC it's just a bunch of ?? coordinates.

can Accutrans (as caddaraman stated) save the dwg 3d stuff then out to .lwo

Is there some way to do some of the extrusions and save out as a dxf then? Thanks for your time if you have any answers

Chris

I cant' see the attached files. You can Email me the files and I will take a look at them and convert them if there is 3d info in them.
Email me at [email protected]

All the images on our web site: www.liquidlight3d.com were converted from AC to LW or another 3d program (Imagine) for rendering.

MicroMouse
07-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Chris, If you would like me to look at your DXF file, then either email it to me at [email protected] or else put it on your web site and email the link to me.

DWG and DXF files are unitless. The unit of measurement can be any thing the technician wants it to be. Ask the person who made the drawing what unit of measurement was used.

Wayne

burvis
07-05-2006, 07:35 AM
Here's here is a link to all of them

http://www.burningvisions.com/client/autoCad_stuff/

liquidlight... that email adress did not work? tried several times, so I'm putting everything up on my site

some say 'elevator' 'bonus' ? I'm guessing it's not an elevator to get to and from the second floor... is the 'elevator' file the info for the sizes (or unit of measurement) to make 3D out of in AC?

once things are 3D in AC, will saving that out as a dxf show up as 3D geometry in modeler?

some files when you select it to load into AC, you see in the small preview the shape of the building, but when I load it, it looks like a lot of data and nothing like the preview? I'm sure it's just me not having the first clue about AC....

again, thanks everbody!!

robk
07-05-2006, 08:27 AM
Here's here is a link to all of them

http://www.burningvisions.com/client/autoCad_stuff/

liquidlight... that email adress did not work? tried several times, so I'm putting everything up on my site

Yeah I left the i out of light it should be [email protected]

I will download the files off you site and take a look at them.

robk
07-05-2006, 10:55 AM
Chris

Sorry to say but the only 3d info in the files seems to be one door. As shown in the attached sreen grabs from Autocad, Accutrans and LW.

I saved out the DXF file from autocad as a version 12 DXF file and under the options for saving I also went to the tools tab on the upper right of the requester and dropped down to the options part and then to the dxf options tab and checked the "select objects" box. This will allow you only to output the drawing elements instead of the whole drawing (which has a bunch of junk you don't need).

I am also attaching the .lwo file for you.

All Catamaran files are in Imperial (feet-inches) all the EH6 files are corrupt and cannot be loaded into Autocad

burvis
07-05-2006, 11:14 AM
I'm uploading the rest of the dwg's now... take about 20 min. or so rendering at the same time on the email machine...

so I can effectively go back and say to the client there is no 3D data? or is it there in some type of code or directions in nother file, something that tells the cad user to etrude and make it like whatever....?

some of the files say elevator? and bonus?

thanks guy's!

Chris

MicroMouse
07-05-2006, 04:11 PM
The sh_type_4.zip and sh_type_5.zip files appear to be bad as I can not unzip them.

I went over and saw robk this morning so I could see the DWG files in AutoCAD as I do not have AutoCAD. Some DWG files are bad and will not load. The EH6Unit-a5.dxf is also bad as information has been cut off the end of the file. This DXF file will not load in AutoCAD but AccuTrans will read it.

You can run your own tests. Download AccuTrans from http://www.micromouse.ca/

As you want text to be converted, use the "File->Open With Options" menu command and then check the "DXF Text" check box. Select "DXF" in the "Open File Type" combo box. Click the "Open" button and read your DXF file.

The "Viewer->Use OpenGL" menu item will be checked so the OpenGL viewer will be used.

The "Viewer->Cull Back Faces" menu item will not be checked so both sides of the triangles will be displayed. CAD programs are double sided rendering so many polygons will have their surface normals pointing the wrong way for single sided rendering in LightWave.

The "Display->Flat Shading" menu item will be checked so that triangles will be rendered.

Based on the 3 DXF files and the DWG files that would load into AutoCAD, there was only one 3D object and that was the door in catamaran_l.dxf file.

There is no magical button. If you load a DWG or DXF file into AutoCAD and you only see 2D lines and not 3D objects then the drawing was only made with 2D drawing entities.

Wayne

tyrot
07-05-2006, 04:24 PM
dear wayne

i was also going with long steps. Your accutrans is just awesome. I m testing it and as you pointed out in other forum, i exported DXF files from Autocad and in no time Accutrans gave me perfect LWOs. Of course with polylines but who cares. They are just accurate and so fast. I even love different layers different objects check box. It is really great work. Hopefully you may add DWG import as well. I think Accutrans doesnt support DWG natively yet. (It doesnt matter since autocad makes DXF in no time)

BEST and THANKS

burvis
07-05-2006, 04:51 PM
hi friends... wayne, may I just say thank you for taking the time to check the stuff out.... I am working on several projects at once, and after looking back at the up load I was doing... my FTP software was crashed... so those other folders are all messed up (should not have this machine in the render line up)

anyway, I want ahead and made the bid on the project, and will check out what you described in the post... again thanks to all

Chris

MicroMouse
07-05-2006, 11:42 PM
Of course with polylines but who cares.

If you do not need lines and points in the LWO file, uncheck the "Lines" and "Point Cloud" check boxes in the "Save Objects with Options" dialog box.

I think Accutrans doesnt support DWG natively yet. (It doesnt matter since autocad makes DXF in no time)

AccuTrans does not support DWG files.

AutoDesk publishes information on DXF files but it does NOT publish information on DWG files.

Everything that is needed to reproduce the drawing is exported to the DXF file. The only drawback to DXF files is a larger file size. It is usually better to export to R12 (Release 12) DXF files.

AutoDesk has a Software Development Kit (SDK) called RealDWG which would be the best thing to use for adding DWG support. AutoDesk does not list the licensing requirements on their web site but it appears that RealDWG can NOT be used in
-- a program that competes with an AutoDesk product
-- a file translation program such as AccuTrans.

It is a big job to reverse engineer the DWG file format and AutoDesk is always making changes to it. The only sensible way to add DWG support is to license the SDK from the Open Design Alliance. This SDK has not been updated for AutoCAD 2007 as there is always a delay for the reverse engineering to be done. I think all non AutoDesk software that support DWG files use this SDK. The SDK just gives all the drawing entity information from the file and this data still has to be converted so that it can be used in LightWave, Maya, etc.

At this time I will not be licensing the Open Design Alliance SDK for Accutrans.

Wayne