PDA

View Full Version : Selecting only visible objects in Layout?

Cageman
07-01-2006, 12:03 PM
Hi.

Is there a way to select all visible objects (and only the visible) in Layout without looking in the scene editor and ctrl-click-select? I looked at Flay, but didn't find any nice script or plug that would do it.

Any ideas?

kruemel_1
07-01-2006, 12:16 PM
What's with lasso select (middle mouse button)? It selects all touched objects, but not the hidden ones.

Cageman
07-01-2006, 12:50 PM
What's with lasso select (middle mouse button)? It selects all touched objects, but not the hidden ones.

Hmm... didn't think about that... :) But it would be nice with a filter in Scene editor wich allows to, ie list only visible objects. Simply alot more options.

This is what we have now... would like to see more options in the future.

colkai
07-02-2006, 03:45 AM
Funnily enough, I was thinking something similar yesterday, a way to filter just visible. So any hidden or locked items could be removed from the drop-down list to avoid cluttering it up.

..and whilst we're on the subject of UI related things, how about some scroll bars on things like the plugin lists etc.. I have always hated how I spend more time moving the mouse up and down hoping to catch the plugin I want as it races by than actually using the thing.

evenflcw
07-02-2006, 05:50 AM
I'd love to see more filter options aswell. Except for the already mentioned ones (based on visibility and lock status) I'd really like to see filtering based on selection. This way you could have an instance of the Scene Editor always showing only the currently selected items (so it would update everytime your selection changes), allowing for a very dynamic and focused view of the scene. You won't have to recall any item names and you won't have to browse any long item lists. What you have selected, is what you have to work. I also imagine this option would help those who prefer to work with the Dope Sheet (more full featured) rather than the Dope Track (less featured and quirky), as it would only be showing and able to alter keyframes of the selected items (simular to the Dope Track).

If you need a generic lscript to select only visible items I'm sure it wouldn't be to hard to code. It might be slow on huge scenes (as it will probably have to check visibility status on all items) and will obviously only be able to select items of the same type at one time (LW limitation).

*waves to Cageman*

fyrissian
07-02-2006, 09:12 AM
Nit-picking, I admit, but...

I'd like to be able to quickly dismiss or accept changes to the Info panel without having to click "OK" or "Cancel" with the mouse. (Or am I missing a shortcut key?)

Statistics panel is easy -- toggles on and off with 'w'.

evenflcw
07-03-2006, 06:15 AM
Here's a fresh script...

Select All Visible Items v1.0 (2006-07-03)

Select All Visible Items will select all
unlocked items of the same type that are set
as visible (ie non hidden).

If the script should fail to find any such
items the current selection will remains
intact.

Use at own risk and feel free to modify!
[email protected]

evenflcw
07-03-2006, 06:49 AM
First revision already :)

Just cleaned up the code abit.

Dodgy
07-03-2006, 07:08 AM
If you have the scene editor open, you can set it to non-hierachy display, and then sort by visibility/locked state and then select the items in one go. Just click on the little icons at the top of the scene editor to have the list sorted by that method.