PDA

View Full Version : 64-bit WITH 32-bit?

nickej
07-01-2006, 10:24 AM
I just got a new dual 64-bit AMD machine and installed LW for X64 on it. Runs fine.
Now, since the machine is so much faster than my old one, and I do use 3rd party plugins, I'm wondering if I can install and use the 32-bit version on the same machine, even if there is a hit in rendertime and RAM (still not clear on what functions are affected on a machine basis vs. software basis).

So far, when I try to install the 32-bit, it tries to overwrite the Sentinel driver, reverting my 64-bit copy to a demo, so I'm wondering, has anybody here gotten two copies of LW at 32-bit and 64-bit to coexist comfortably on the same machine? And if so, what's your secret?

massmusic
07-01-2006, 04:05 PM
I have not, but I would think a 32 bit partition would work for you

Celshader
07-01-2006, 04:25 PM
...anybody here gotten two copies of LW at 32-bit and 64-bit to coexist comfortably on the same machine?

At work we have 32-bit LW and 64-bit LW running side-by-side on 64-bit machines. The secret is keeping their config files separate from each other. Technically you could keep them all in the same folder, since most of the 64-bit config files are marked with "64", but I prefer to keep configs separate.

Launch each LightWave from a shortcut. In the shortcut properties, put -c<configLocation> after the location of the exe file.

For example, if your 64-bit LightWave's location is here:
C:/LightWave64/Programs/lightwav.exe

...and your config files are here:
C:/LightWave64

Then the "Target" line in your Windows shortcut should look like this:
C:/LightWave64/Programs/lightwav.exe -cC:/LightWave64

nickej
07-01-2006, 07:34 PM
OK! It actually works fine IF you don't go along with the "remove dongle and install driver" warning. LW 32 is installed to the x86 Lightwave folder, and LW 64 is in the Programs folder by default so no problems.
Thanks!