PDA

View Full Version : Help needed smooth shift - newbie

flashinet
07-01-2006, 10:21 AM
I've got stucked on beginner tutorial with smooth shift.
I can't figure out what this tool does and how to use it.

Lightwave manual says to select polygons and move them after clicking 'Smooth shift' button. My problem is when I select some polygons on the object almost all buttons on Multiply-Extend tab become greyed out and disabled, and among them 'Smooth shift' button. If I don't select polygons (the whole object is selected) then smooth shift works like resize.

Tutorial uses smooth shift with 0 offset and one left mouse click to create new geometry after lasso select of part of the object. When I lasso select the 'smooth shift' button is disabled as I'd described and I'm stuck. I'm also surprised that manual doesn't mention about creation of new geometry with 'smooth shift'.

Thanks for your help.

kruemel_1
07-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Are you sure you are in POLYGON selection mode? If you are in POINT selection mode lightwave behaves as you describe.

flashinet
07-01-2006, 11:37 AM
Thank you very much, this was exactly the reason for the disabled button.

What about changing or creating geometry? I create a simple object like box, select some polygons, click on 'smooth shift' tool, then click left mouse on a viewport, nothing happens. What am I'm missing here?

kruemel_1
07-01-2006, 12:13 PM
Move the mouse with pressed left button. Smooth shift doubles the selected geometrie, and by moving the mouse it moves the polygons in the direction of their normal vector

flashinet
07-01-2006, 12:21 PM
Thanks again for your help.