PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Modeling Problem

gridman
06-30-2006, 08:16 PM
I am doing a scientific animation and I'm trying to model something that's over my head (I'm pretty new to Lightwave).

I have attached a .jpg of what I'm working on. I have a spiral that I made with the Twist tool, and it goes around this sphere. What I need to do is collapse this spiral so that it marks a path on the surface of the sphere. For example, there are 48 points in the spiral, and if 48 lines were created where a point on the spiral was on one end, and the center of the sphere was the other end (of the line), then there would be 48 lines going from the spiral to the center of the sphere. Where these lines intersect the surface is where I need the spiral to be drawn on the surface.

Is there a clever way to do this?

Thanks for the help.

bwanaghana
07-01-2006, 01:24 AM
i ran into a similar problem once while trying to make a baseball try using the drill tool under the construct tab in modeler. use the standard drill (not the solid drill) and then use the stencil option.

In order to make the drill work properly you will need one layer to be active and another layer to be in the background, it is very similar to a boolean function, but instead it will "stencil" a path of points FROM the background layer TO the foreground layer across whatever axis you choose.

so in the case of the baseball i made a sphere in the foreground layer and a 2 dimensional disc in the background layer. i then shaped the disc into a cross-section shape of where i wanted the threads to go. then i went back to the sphere layer, set the 2d layer in the background and stenciled the 2d "path" along the X axis and got the 3d result in the foreground layer.

I hope that is clear...It is not easy to do a walkthrough without pictures, if you ned more help ask me to clarify or maybe look up how to make a baseball. Good luck.

bwanaghana
07-01-2006, 01:24 AM
here is a link to a video that might help.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-665337759140790140&q=modeling

fjong
07-01-2006, 02:14 AM
or you could try this FI script - curve onto background object
http://www2.ocn.ne.jp/~fis_junk/plug/ls/CurveOntoBG0_1_1.zip

gridman
07-01-2006, 11:22 PM
I tried both suggestions. I could not get the drill tool to work in this instances. Maybe it's me. I tried the script, and it does work, but part of the curve is not smooth. So, I had to manually drag points. But by the time I finished, the curve did not look as nice as I wanted, so I am trying another way.