PDA

View Full Version : LW8.5/9 64bit & high poly movement in ogl

aurora
06-30-2006, 10:46 AM
If and I use the term loosely, but 'if' I moved to LW64 bit (LW9 in particular) will I be better able to handle high poly objects in Modeler? I have a machine capable of running 64bit windoze and yes I know it can dramatically improve render times. I also know about the plugin issues. But my main concern is the ability to rapidly work on a model that is now over a million polys and still only half way finished. Granted I work on the project in parts. But going back and putting the parts together is becoming a **** nightmare. Please tell me I don't have to move over to XSI to finish my model I want this to be completely done in LW, especially the testuring (I love LW9's new nodes!) I have seen Jose Perez's review of LW8.5 64bit and thers was one sentance that lead me to belive moving to 64bit will help somewhat but like most simular articles it dealt more on rendering speed increases. I'm not concerned about that, well today anyways.

Sorry, I know this has probably been mentioned elsewhere and ore then once but I have had a heck of a time searching for posts here and on NT's site so please forgive yet another question that already been answered.

TIA

Captain Obvious
07-02-2006, 06:37 PM
if' I moved to LW64 bit (LW9 in particular) will I be better able to handle high poly objects in Modeler?
Probably not, no. 64-bit Lightwave doesn't really make things faster, as such. It just means that things that didn't work at all in 32-bit LW might work. It's not really a matter of making things faster. It's a matter of making them work AT ALL.

But unless you need some plugins that don't work in 64-bit Lightwave (like Fprime, I think), 64-bit is obviously preferable.