PDA

View Full Version : Grouping Materials

broli
06-30-2006, 06:27 AM
Well I think this is a simple thing really. What I want to do is make a object name so to speak and then make it have sub materials in the material editor. Seeing the structure of the material editor this should be possible. For example..I have a car and a bus in the scene...I want all the car materials to be under "Car" in the material editor and all the bus materials under "Bus". So I can work properly without using long and annoying material names

BeeVee
06-30-2006, 06:55 AM
You mean like this image shows? You already have it...

B

broli
06-30-2006, 06:57 AM
Yeah this might sound a bit noobish but how do you do that (and thanks for the fast reply)

SplineGod
06-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Its automatic. Surfaces are parts of objects. The smallest a surface can be is a single poly. The largest it can be is every poly. An object can be broken down into multiple surfaces but a polygon can only belong to one surface.

kruemel_1
06-30-2006, 09:15 AM
In the left upper corner of the surface editor You can order your surfaces by "Object" or by "Scene". It sounds that you've set "Scene".

broli
07-01-2006, 03:18 AM
Actually that looks like a layout controlled thing, since I hardly use layout at all I was looking for a modeler way. Which I doubt there is...

Skinner3D
07-01-2006, 06:21 AM
:alien: I think you are slightly confused the surface editor is also in modeler. It also allows you to set things either by object or by scene, which sounds weird but it works. I think you should go with kremuel_1 and switch your settings to object.

broli
07-01-2006, 06:23 AM
I forgot to say that that setting is already switched to object...but the whole thing is bundled under one object name...can't I just select certain stuff and give it an object name that appears in the surface editor.

broli
07-05-2006, 05:55 AM
sorry for double posting but I'm still looking for an solution for this issue, I still wasn't able to get what I want or even to get something that atleast looks like. Maybe it's lightwave's boundry not being able to work with groups since I what I'm actually looking for is a tree structur of objects and their materials for instance...

Car

--|chasis
----|leftDoor
------|redMetal(actual material)
--|wheel
----|outside
------|rubber(actual material)

----|rim
------|chrome(actual material)