PDA

View Full Version : okay, fuuuny story...

Gyphon
06-29-2006, 10:08 PM
... well, i have 2 comps see, a notebook and a desktop. well 8 months ago my desk unit goes PTHPTHTT. I poke around a bit and chalk it up to a cpu/mobo issu that I can't afford to fix. Well, my notebook is limited in processing power so here I am trying to render stuff with an inferior machine all this time. Today, out of curiosity I poke around again, as I got into a bit of cash that may have solved the problem. I unplug and replug everything systematically and then turn the stupid machine on to discover that it now works. So I'm thinking... ummm duh... :screwy:... why the crap did I not do this 8 months ago!!!

So, I imagine some of you have had some pretty screwy things happen with your units... do tell and make me feel less like a retard.

Silkrooster
06-29-2006, 10:24 PM
Yep I had a similar problem with my brothers system. Come to find out the eithernet card needed to be cold booted. I couldn't tell you how many hours we worked trying to get his broadband back. And all we had to do was reach around to the back of the computer and flip the switch and flip it back on.
It didn't dawn on me that some of the components keep power when you turn the computer off. Almost all new computers are like that. Its similar to hybernation except you have to wait for the system to load and initialize.
Silk

cholo
06-29-2006, 11:33 PM
First law of electronics. If something isn't working, disassemble, reassemble, power on... 99% of the time it'll come back to life.

tonybliss
06-30-2006, 05:31 AM
This happened to me a good couple times,
Back in the day it may have been the processor needing thermal paste
Or me having to take out the power supply plug from the mother board and pluging it back or
taking out the memory and placing it back or
just taking out everything and putting it back together

.... then agian i can tell you some stories of computers and psuedo emotions such as spontaneous crashing or refusal to start up when a new machine is brought into the same room... but you may probably think i am crazy ... again.

kmaas
06-30-2006, 06:00 AM
The only predictable thing about computers is that they're unpredictable. :D

kilvano
06-30-2006, 06:32 AM
Im a big fan of -

If in doubt, turn it of and then back again and if that fails to work then hit it!

Except when furniture building...i skip straight to step 2

Bog
06-30-2006, 06:34 AM
I was in PC World t'other week and saw GeForce 7 series cards for a real bargain price. "Rude not to!" think I and swag one.

I go hope, pop the side off my case and pull out my old 5800 and plug in the new card.

Well. Bounce the new card off the old slot. The new PCI-E card off the old AGP slot.

D'oh.

ercaxus
07-02-2006, 05:02 PM
Im a big fan of -

If in doubt, turn it of and then back again and if that fails to work then hit it!

Except when furniture building...i skip straight to step 2
I can repair anything that can be repaired. I start from step 2 its' something like:

Hit it till it works, if it breaks it was beyond repair anyway. :D

Martin Adams
07-03-2006, 01:05 AM
I used to have a PC that would randomly turn itself on in the night. There was no wake-on-lan enabled or anything else like that. I used to keep it in my bedroom and the first time it happened really freaked me our as I was fast asleep.

I've also made a bit of a blunder on a PC I build with a P4 chip in it. I got it all working, seemed like the job was done. Started to play a game then it would randomly freeze. I tried resitting the CPU, etc. But in the end, decided it must be a faulty component. So I sent the motherboard back and got a replacement. Upon rebuilding it, I realised that there was a CPU power cable which gives it more power. Guess what wasn't plugged in.... doh! yet pleasing

flakester
07-03-2006, 05:07 AM
I've always favoured the old adage....

"If in doubt, give it a clout" - lo and behold, it normally works too! (My colleague will vouch for the fact that I use this method, and it works! :p)

This does of course NOT work, when you miss the bit that you are trying to hit, and you catch the voltage selector instead. I'll never forget that noise..... 'tweeeeeeeeeeee - POK'.

As a certain Mr W. Coyote said - "Oh well, back to the old drawing board"

*Pete*
07-03-2006, 05:33 AM
i had a similiar experience with a moped (?, small motorcycle?) when i was 16 years old.

i had 2 of them, but one day the engine blew up on one, and the other was generally in much worse shape, so...i decide to change the engine from the one that works (but worse shape otherwise) to the other one.

i spend maybe a full day connecting all the mechanical parts, plug in all the electrical parts and double and triple check everything.

but...suprise suprice, the crap wont start!!...no worries, i remove everything i put in, and then spend another day doing the process of putting it all together again, this time checking everything four to five times, just to make sure i am not making any mistakes.

but it still doesnt start...i try everything, including violence, threats before i start begging it to start, but nothing helps...a week passes before i ask for help from a friend (im very stubborn, takes time before i ask for help).

so this friend looks at it.
then he asks - "whats wrong with it"
me - "i dont know, it just wont start, i spent a week on it already"
he - "mmm, give me the keys and ill try to start it"
then i realise that i never actually put the keys in it!!!

everything was perfectly installed!!!

i had spent one week scratching my head (that might have actually caused my baldness) and trying to get it working, but i never used my keys to start it!!!

DOH!!

Qexit
07-03-2006, 06:39 AM
If you really don't want to risk damaging your PC by hitting it, there is a virtual alternative:

http://www.thestylemachine.com/metele/

Can be satisfying at other times too :D

NB. I've posted this link before but not everyone will have seen it so I think it is worth repeating :thumbsup:

Martin Adams
07-03-2006, 07:22 AM
I've always favoured the old adage....

"If in doubt, give it a clout"

However, confusing if you have a SmackBook Pro
http://gprime.net/video.php/smackbookpro

flakester
07-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Oooof. Strangely cool!

If you have to smack it all the time to switch apps, does the machinery take it as a 'pre-emptive' clout, and therefore it never breaks?? :p

Digital Hermit
07-03-2006, 04:17 PM
I used to work as an EMR Failure Technician for Dell...The adage for us was, "I’ll take a catastrophic over an intermittent failure any day!” So, I have seen a lot of quirky intermittent failures (most of the time it was component “seating/contact” issues that caused POST failures.) So it is entirely possible that even moving the unit slightly could reseat (or unseat) components and cause a problem.

An old IT friend of mine used to say... "Most of the time, my job is easy... I would tell my client over the phone, ‘Let me look at something here on my end (he would do nothing for a few seconds)... ‘Ok, reboot the system and see if it works, now.” It would fix the problem and the company he worked for hailed him as a computer genius. - Too funny.

Digital Hermit

Martin Adams
07-03-2006, 04:33 PM
When I worked in computer retail, my manager was dealing with a customer who shorted out a motherboard by having it touching the case. Although my manager exclaimed that it really wasn't covered under the returns policy, he decided to replace it anyway. He also decided to fit the motherboard himself into the computer on the shop floor to make sure it didn't happen again. Guess what he did. Yep, he shorted the replacement motherboard. Classic!

Gyphon
07-03-2006, 10:33 PM
after a few days and your messages I'm just pleased as a purple penguin that my desktop system is running again.

What happend was, I had 2 partitions on the HD. One windows and the other linux. Well I never use linux as all my games and stuff are windows based, so I removed the partition to recover 60 gigs. Well that's when it screwed up on me. I supposed I knocked it loose while messing inside at one point or other.

It's been so long that I forgot that I lost all my data on the HD. Kinda depressing that all the texures and bumps I collected have to the cyber-gods.