PDA

View Full Version : Gorillaz XSI or LW ?

operation
06-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I have seen this link
http://www.softimage.com/community/spotlight/gorillaz/default.aspx

http://newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/moulineau/2.html

where is the true ?
XSi or sotfimagetoon ?

if someone can giveme more info about the pipeline ?

thanks

t4d
06-29-2006, 10:38 PM
OLD stuff was Messiah and LW

Now Passion are really XSI and SAS not really LW
( LW is only there to run worley's SAS ) if you think about it

WilliamVaughan
06-30-2006, 05:35 AM
I have seen this link
http://www.softimage.com/community/spotlight/gorillaz/default.aspx

where is the true ?
XSi or sotfimagetoon ?

if someone can giveme more info about the pipeline ?

thanks

The article here:
http://newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/moulineau/3.html

Mention the Use of LW for Hypervoxel clouds, Trees with displacements in LW, Sasqquatch for grass.....rendering...so in the case of this video (feel good inc.)...it sounds like the majority of the 3d was all LW.

El Manana sounds like they used XSI for teh 3D.....two different videos.

WilliamVaughan
06-30-2006, 06:23 AM
Look closely at the two articles....one is for "feel good inc" and one is for "El Manana"

Both look similar but they are 2 completely different videos....LW was used heavily on Feel Good Inc...not just for Sas.

Antoine Moulineau, SUpervisor on "Feel Good, Inc" clearly explains what LW was used for...and it's not just Sas.

Not sure where all teh confusion has come from as both articles explain things pretty clear. Ths only thing I can think is that some people just looked at the pix and came to their own conclusion.....2 different videos....using 2 different pipelines...

pixym
07-01-2006, 02:53 PM
See this:
http://newtek-europe.com/fr/community/lightwave/moulineau/images/SnapshotGorillaz_g.jpg

t4d
07-01-2006, 07:58 PM
See this:
http://newtek-europe.com/fr/community/lightwave/moulineau/images/SnapshotGorillaz_g.jpg

WOW there only using LW 7.5 to setup Sas
they havn't even updated to LW 8 or 9

LW is just in there office to drive SAS and LW render.

Captain Obvious
07-02-2006, 06:18 PM
What I want to know is why it matters. ;) Seriously, a 3D app is just a tool. You don't see people arguing about how this or that tree was cut down using a Husqvarna chainsaw or a... what are the other brands? Well, you get my point. Why are 3D apps so different?

Either way, doesn't it seem likely that they used BOTH apps?

calilifestyle
07-03-2006, 01:39 AM
well in my wood class back in the days... we fought over the band saw, sanding table ... so its safe to say the tools you use will get the job done faster and better in some cases.

pooby
07-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Seriously, a 3D app is just a tool

It's more accurate to describe it as a set of tools.

Certain studios need a more comprehensive range.

Cageman
07-03-2006, 01:57 AM
OLD stuff was Messiah and LW

Now Passion are really XSI and SAS not really LW
( LW is only there to run worley's SAS ) if you think about it

You make it sound so negative. Almost like, "why the **** are they even bothering using LW for one single tool?". Oh, no wait.. they really didn't use LW at all... just Sasquatch.. :stumped:

t4d
07-03-2006, 03:13 AM
you can read it anyway you want to,

if your point of view is that my comment is negative

then your not looking at it with worley in mind ( worley Rocks ! )

if your read it in the way that, LW was only used to setup lighting for Sas to work off and that's a Negative Well,.. your not thinking of the positive that SAS and LW are prefered over XSI ADV's Shave and hair cut.

IF your thinking it's a negative Cause Passion think XSI is better then messiah and LW to animate with ..well take that as a negative because that IS a negative toward LW. LW has Character and 3D animation problems & has for awhile now.( being worked on i hear )

But Passion have never used LW to animate with as far as i know,.?
they were a messiah/LW studio for along time
So nothing has changed I can't see the negative just posting an opinion.

pooby
07-03-2006, 05:58 AM
If they were all the same, why bother developing them at all? They'll always be 'just a tool'
It's a remark that doesn't make any sense but still surprisingly common to hear.
Of course the artistry is the most important thing, but only with the appropriate tools in the hand of the artist. Not 'any' tool

Captain Obvious
07-03-2006, 06:21 AM
Of course the artistry is the most important thing, but only with the appropriate tools in the hand of the artist. Not 'any' tool
Well yeah, but I still don't see why some people (I'm not pointing any fingers here) expect you to pledge allegiance to a certain application, or a certain software company. I use Lightwave and modo, and I'm planning to get up-to-speed with Blender as well. Once I get my Intel "Mac Pro," I'll probably install Windows and learn how to use 3dsmax and XSI as well, if they offer demo versions. They're not "just tools" in the sense that it's unimportant to choose the right one. It is absolutely vital to choose the right tool: the right tool for you, the right tool for the job, and so on. You won't see Tiger Woods play golf with a $30 set up of clubs from Walmart. However, they are "just tools" in the sense that I have no desire what-so-ever to feel better about my own work just because someone else used the same app to create something impressive.

I will not automatically become a more proficient golfer (or less unproficient, rather) just because I use clubs of the same brand as Tiger Woods, and I won't automatically become better at creating 3D graphics just because some studio used "my" application to create a Gorillaz video. Because of this, I do not understand why it matters which app they used.

Captain Obvious
07-03-2006, 07:28 AM
just because I am regarded as a second rate 3D artist because of my primary software package no matter how proficient I am using it
This is exactly my point! ;) The people who would consider you a second-rate 3D artist because they have gotten the crazy idea that Lightwave is second-rate, are the people who have more loyalty to a certain application or company than is healthy for them.

I agree that it would be nice if more studios used Lightwave, because I like it and the more people there are using it, the more development to it there will be. However, being too quick to comment about how it was used for this-or-that will only increase the "bigotism," most likely. Oh well. I overthink things.

operation
07-03-2006, 06:14 PM
hummm

I have been away for few days ... a lot of post was waiting me.

Of course the question is not to know wich software is better than the other....

I have my own idea about XSI, Maya LW or Max.
What is interesting for me, is to know the pipeline (production process), why they use more 'this' application in 'this' case ?

ie: Xsi Syflex more than Mayacloth or Clothereyes for max.
ie: Shave and Haircut vs Sasquatch vs Xsihair or internal tool
etc...

I have learned a lot by watching some "making of" (dvd bonus).

So I really don't care, I am not a LW loyalist or fan. Sometime it takes me more time with LW to make an effect than an other application, sometime it's faster in LW.
To be productive is very important for me, so I need a good pipeline, if I can mimic a studio pipeline. I have a chance to use the right tool for the right effect. ( of course, I can't benefit of internal tools -internal developement).

Someone had noticed a good point : In europe, I have few chance to find a job in a company with a LW+messiah pipeline (as a freelancer, it's ok ...). but most of the time it's a XSI/Maya pipeline.

And last days I had to give my 3D work to a studio... they was unable to use my work ( LW scene file) .... they don't want to use LW, they prefer to use Maya because it's a standard - it's more easy for them to find a Maya graphist and of course share the files.

to resume:
if it's for an individual job ( hobbist, freelancer, etc..) any package can fit (blender, LW, Pov, freeware, shareware, unkown tool, etc.. )
if you have to share you work, looking for a job, have to do a team work, etc... you must fit with the company pipeline...

Again it's not about wich package is the best - it's more how to benefit of the best of each package...:stumped: why this tool more than this one:screwy:

Aegis
07-04-2006, 05:48 PM
Correct. The reason I feel a little sad is that I prefer working the LW way. The greater London area was a place where I wanted to look for jobs beginning next year. Framestore: Maya / Passion Pictures: XSI / Mill: Maya, XSI / Glassworks: XSI / MPC: Maya...

Well it all depends on what you want to do - Framestore and MPC employ LightWave modellers - their attitude is 'hey - if the guy making the models rocks and we can get 'em into Maya let him use whatever he wants...'

As far as animation goes, there's less options - Darkside is still a predominantly LW shop and here at Cityscape (Arch-Viz) I've just fitted them out with a shiny new LW pipeline :D

Games company-wise, EA/Criterion employ LW modellers - LightWave was used extensively for creating 'Black'.

Cageman
07-05-2006, 12:39 AM
Most LW-users have their own commercial license, which really SHOULD make it a no-brainer for stuidos. The plus-side is that the guy can hit the ground running, with little or no hassle getting the objects into Maya. I really can't see any negative things with this, but as stated above... too many people think of LW as a kids software. :/