PDA

View Full Version : Model Sheets, Character Designs, Etc.

AdamAvenali
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Hey all,

I am wondering how some people go about getting original characters for their demo reels. I am not the greatest traditional artist, so basically when it comes time to model a new creature or something I go looking, but I recently read in 3D World that studios dont like to see repeated characters so much. So, my first attempt was over at conceptart.com to see if anyone there would be willing to take a previous design and just sketch up a real quick model sheet for proportional reference, but no one has replied. So, I guess what should be the next steps I take? I just graduated college and am planning on starting to send out reels in mid-September would like 2-3 new models to have on my reel. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Adam

oDDity
06-29-2006, 03:23 PM
I'd worry less about originality, and more about your grasp of anatomy and your actual modeling skill. You'll be applying as a character modeler remember, not a concept artist, so those two things are the most important, and originality comes a poor third.
The way a lot of concept artists try to come up with original designs is simply to do endless thumbnail sketches, very rough, hundreds of them, then look back through them and see if anything pops out at them, then they work that up to a more finished state.
You don't have to be a good traditional aritist, the drawing is only for your own consumption. You can still get your ideas down on paper whether you're a good artist or not.

AdamAvenali
06-29-2006, 07:40 PM
I'm not concerned so much with designing my own, but showing that I can receive a model sheet from someone else and reproduce their design accurately. This is why I am looking for someone else to produce something for me.

oDDity
06-30-2006, 04:25 PM
In that case just get a D&D monster manual and take your pick. Originality is not an issue for a modeler, the quality of the modeling is.
You'll also want to learn to extrapolate a model from a sigle 3/4 perspective drawing, rather than relyig on having nice front and side templates to work from, the monster manuals are great for that as well, plenty of variety in them too.