PDA

View Full Version : The Old Linux Moan

kilvano
06-28-2006, 01:39 PM
I know its been discussed many MANY times but i get a bit annoyed by Newteks decision not to produce software for linux.

More and more software is being produced for linux. Having read this months 3DWorld mag, im even more convinced to try moving to a Linux only machine.

For those who have not read it it basically toalked through open source software to create animations. Using a combination Blender, The GIMP, YafRay, Jahshaka, Terragen and Cinererra its possible to create animations.

More and more studios are using Linux as its a much cheaper alternative to windows esp in large studios with hundreds of machine.

The only reason i still have windows is for Photoshop and Lightwave. I dont game anymore since getting a 360 and there are alternatives (some MUCH better) for all my multimedia playing software. I also installed the beta of Vista and have to say that im not all that impressed. I know its a beta but it was WAY to demanding on the experienced used and became iritating.

I am interested to hear other peoples view and opinions and if Newtek feel like joining the discussion then feel free. I love using lightwave and will stick with it.

Cheers and all the best

Chris

Titus
06-28-2006, 03:02 PM
I'm a Linux user since 1994 but I really don't need a new version of LW, all my production is done in Windows, this include Combustion, Video Toaster, LightWave, RealFlow, Audition, Premiere, QuickTime, among more programs.

I find a correct to have a free Linux version for a rendering node, I have a small render farm and it saves me money.

kilvano
06-28-2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah...i have all my production stuff on Windows too but since i plan to work in a studio not at home i would prefer the free linux alternative software.

I understand your point tho

Skinner3D
06-28-2006, 05:19 PM
:alien: I am currently running a dual boot computer with both Linux and Windows on it. I like the feel of Linux a lot better than Windows, but it doesn't support the programs I like. I am talking about games and things, not necessarily Lightwave. I would really like to have a Linux based Lightwave renderer. This is because if I ever get around to setting up a render farm, I would like to set up the various computers with Linux. (You don't have to worry about getting a license for each box.) I don't think I would ever model/scene build in Linux. I heard from a friend that Linux does better at using all available resources. This would be a great help for rendering.

So to reiterate and lay down final answer. I would like Lightwave on Linux, but only for the rendering.:D

kilvano
06-28-2006, 05:27 PM
you can already do that im sure...someone is writing a tutorial on it.

Search the forums...i read it in tha last few days.

Chris

Skinner3D
06-28-2006, 05:39 PM
:alien: I will see what I can come up with. Thanks:D

nickej
06-29-2006, 02:24 PM
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=84

Well, if Windows is seriously thinking of implementing this, I can imagine that a lot of people will want the option to jump ship. I just bought a new 64-bit Boxx system (haven't even plugged it in because I was looking for an anti-virus option---I think I'm going with Avast!) and I can say that if more of my software was available for Linux, I'd be on it in a heartbeat.

kilvano
06-29-2006, 03:01 PM
Avast is what i run on my 64-bit. It runs really well once you turn off the annoying audio aspects. And its free!

As ive said ive already tried Vista and i think its going to start coming preinstalled with windows own crappy software and will give microsoft more control over what you do with YOUR PC.

rubicon9
07-23-2006, 07:00 PM
I would love to have a LW and Toaster ported to Linux. But the problem is which version are you going to certify it with. I used to be a regular RedHat user, but jumped ship the minute they announced Fedora. I spent a week on SuSE, then loaded Gentoo and never looked back. The problem is most Linux distros use their own Package Database. So Newtek would have to pick two distros at the most, this would also include which kernel to support. That means the ones with the most market share and a company they can goto for OS support. So you will still be paying for an OS package even if is linux. Then they would need to work with ATI and NVIDIA, since they now manage their own modules. Granted Maya and the crew have done a lot of the work on openGL for linux. Perhaps NT are just waiting for 2.6.x to reach a more stable level, something above 2.6.20+. It is close to that now.:)

mrunion
07-24-2006, 07:07 AM
rubicon9:

Are you sure? It is my understanding that the graphics interface would be "standard" if NT makes us all use X or something -- a standard Window Manager. X makes the hardware calls for acceleration, etc. Also, NT doesn't necessarily *have* to use RPM packages or DEB packages. RPM seems to be the most popular though. NT could "roll their own" installer if they wanted.

My $0.02 (and I could be way wrong too!)

lilrayray77
07-24-2006, 08:05 AM
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=84

Oh god, now I am afraid to install any updates. Anyway, a linux version would be great, but it is not a nessecitiy.

Defiance
07-24-2006, 09:31 PM
Lightwave is the only application that keeps me using Windows.

mrunion
07-25-2006, 08:16 AM
Me too!

LW_jackn
02-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Heh! Yeah...

That and Photoshop.

But I hear that PS is on it's way to the Penguin so... ;)

And there is GIMP.

I've about had it with Microsoft (yeah I've said that many times throughout the years prior), but Vista was the last straw. XP is the last OS from them that I will use.

I have 6 machines networked right now XP for LW 8.3, W98 for some legacy apps, NT 4.0 for DPS Perception, the remaining 3 are Mandrake 10.1 and Ubuntu Dapper 6.06.

I'm willing to shed all but the NT 4.0 (simply because the DPS needs it) for Linux OS (especially for the benefit of distributed processing and I don't mean ScreamerNet although that is useful as well ;) )

I think NewTek needs to listen and take the Linux world more serious than it appearrs to have been doing. This isn't just a my OS is better than your OS deal (which I do feel that way but seriously).

Vista is crap. DRM can take a flying leap, and the lack of OGL support is just plain stupid. Does M$ think that they can force the rest of the world into their little pigeon hole for DX?

Come on Netwek! ;) We're not in Kansas anymore...

Give us a Linux port at the least, if not a native app... Otherwise it's the end of the road for me with 8.x because I will not pay for anything that requires Vista.

Cheers!

kilvano
02-20-2007, 09:25 AM
i know i started this thread (AGES AGO...cant believe its reopened!) but ive since acquired a free copy of Vista Business from my old Uni and i like it (even though i said i would never upgrade...free is free!)

Ive not come across a single DRM issue yet but i dont like the UI very much. And there is there admin panel that pops up when you try to do ANYTHING. Even deleting a file. I eventually deactivated it but i guess that makes my system more vulnerable.

Im still looking for the Linux LW version too for my Ubuntu box. If PS is going to Linux too then my windows days are numbered. I will always keep a windows box just in case though!

LW_jackn
02-20-2007, 09:45 AM
That's what I get for using the search for Linux topics...

:p

I post and it gets moved...

Guess I got my answer... :D

Speedmonk42
02-20-2007, 01:37 PM
I voted yes, but....

I love the idea, but I would rather not see a single mental cycle taken away from development at this point.

Can anyone elaborate on how much work it would be to port and support?

Would that new Ubuntu Studio be of any advantage?

If Photoshop goes Penguin.... that would be an amazing coup for Linux.

LW_jackn
02-20-2007, 04:45 PM
...Would that new Ubuntu Studio be of any advantage?

If Photoshop goes Penguin.... that would be an amazing coup for Linux.

Yes to both in my opinion...

:)

Linux: Sure we have ScreamerNet for multiple frame rendering, and it's very good, but in Linux you could do distributed processing across linux machines for one frame.

Resources in Linux are managed better and use less. Performance would be better... but I'll stop preaching... heh heh

Maybe not a port of LW 32 bit, but If NT coul'd start with LW 64 on Linux 64 bit... that would be worth something right there!

Would make me feal better about investing in that dual socket quad core AMD system I'd like to get in a few months...

64 bit linux and 64 bit LW... oh my gosh... :D

Bog
02-20-2007, 05:14 PM
*sings "Wish You Were Here" hugging his old Indy's keyboard*

NewTek: Please, yes. Please. Don't tell us it's not "commercially viable", please don't tell us it's a pain in the pectorals. We - your users - will make it work.

Please let me stop widdling forty percent of my machine's power up a rope because of my OS.

Give me my write-to-the-metal back. Please.

geothefaust
02-20-2007, 06:34 PM

Ditto.

Bring on Linux support.

regularfry
02-21-2007, 06:01 AM
Just to weigh in here: LightWave so very nearly works under WINE, it's painful. There are two issues that I've bumped up against and if I could magically generate a couple of spare weeks to devote to them, I think they'd go away.

The first problem looks almost trivial to fix. There's a redraw bug on GL child windows which means that large portions of the interface (only buttons, never the workspace) get blacked out until you mouse over. My guess is that it's a simple ordering issue in WINE's windowing code. Until a relatively recent release, child window drawing was *completely* borked, so this is a fairly big step forward.

The second is getting the Sentinel drivers to work, so that we can use non-Discovery-mode functionality. I know that Safenet do a Linux Sentinel driver, but I haven't had a chance to play with that. What I *have* been able to do is get the Windows driver loaded with ndiswrapper. It doesn't "just work", though, and I'm not sure how to test it just yet.

Any bright ideas gratefully received...