PDA

View Full Version : Rendering problems...

Robsoyo
06-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Hey there! Im new to this forum, so hello! Had lightwave for over a year now an never had this problem...basically im rendering out an animation, choosing to save both the frames and the anim. So I choose to save it as a quicktime.mov, and when the rendering finally finishes, click on the .mov file to view and its just a white screen! I usually choose D1 PAL widescreen and have never had problems like this before, this is the first time ive rendered anything on my new HD cinema display, could this be anything todo with it (as in would I have to choose another resolution option like HDTV 1280x720)?

Any suggestions / help i'd be extremely grateful
cheers

Captain Obvious
06-28-2006, 02:12 PM
What display you're using CANNOT affect the rendering, so there must be some different reason. You said you saved both the individual frames, as well as the animation? Well, what happens when you assemble the frames?

Robsoyo
06-28-2006, 04:08 PM
Ahh yeah, thats the other thing, dont have an app that can do that, only just recently got the quad core G4 and before that I just had a little ibook so always did my rendering on my universities macs. Used final cut on those, what is the best (and cheapest) app for it? I was reading that on quicktime pro you can make a slideshow and change the fps would that do it? Its actually really cheap aswell I didnt realise!

regards

Captain Obvious
06-28-2006, 06:14 PM
QuickTime Pro can assemble images into video, yes. But you can also do it directly inside Lightwave! Just create a plane and make it 0% diffuse etc, but 100% luminous. Now map the rendered images to it, and set up the camera in such a way that the pixels are at the same exact location, and render. This way, you can also do things like high dynamic range bloom effects (Corona filter).

Celshader
06-28-2006, 06:47 PM
QuickTime Pro can assemble images into video, yes. But you can also do it directly inside Lightwave! Just create a plane and make it 0% diffuse etc, but 100% luminous. Now map the rendered images to it, and set up the camera in such a way that the pixels are at the same exact location, and render. This way, you can also do things like high dynamic range bloom effects (Corona filter).

An alternate is to set the camera to the same resolution as the image sequence, and load up the image sequence as a Background Image. I don't know if that way will work with the Corona filter, though. :o

Captain Obvious
06-29-2006, 12:27 AM
An alternate is to set the camera to the same resolution as the image sequence, and load up the image sequence as a Background Image. I don't know if that way will work with the Corona filter, though. :o
That's an even better method! :) It should work just fine with Corona, as far as I can figure. I never do animations, so I never tried it.

Oh, and when you're rendering, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS render to a high dynamic range format, like HDR or OpenEXR. It takes more space than PNG or JPEG, sure, but it's much better.

Robsoyo
06-29-2006, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the info, dont quite understand what you mean by doing it in lightwave though, am still a beginner pretty much, surely if I set it all up to render again, id just have the same problem again? Bought quicktime pro now anyways.

As for rendering the anim's straight out (as .mov file or whatever), any suggestions about that? Because if you're wanting to just rinse out a few quick test scenes, saving the anim's the best for it instead of compiling a load of stills all the time?

thanks much

dsol
06-29-2006, 07:14 AM
There was a thread going a few weeks back on turning image sequences into Quictimes. Bruce Rayne helpfully created a little app to do it which you can download from his website:

http://www.brucerayne.com/software.html

(the app's called "zoetrope")

BeeVee
06-29-2006, 07:48 AM
This tutorial is for PCs, but the same approach applies on Macs too...

B