PDA

View Full Version : how to polygon reduce 6000 layers

pearlwaterdrops
06-28-2006, 12:19 PM
hello;

I have 6000 layers imported from Rhino; the Rhinoexport/LW import process is limited on the controlling of polygon count as the Rhino models are converted into meshes;

however, the LWM7.5 button 'Reduce-Polygons' does an excellent job of bringing the polygon count down without destroying the models;

any thoughts?

thanks
dsdsdsdsds
Chicago

kilvano
06-28-2006, 12:54 PM
6000 Layers!!! Holy Moly!

You tried flattening the layers (cant remember the plug in that does it but try flay.com) then trying to reduce it that way?

I would save another copy and use that one rather than messing with the original.

Good luck dude.

ShawnStovall
06-28-2006, 01:09 PM
Most of my models don't even have 6,000 polys! Sounds like you have a lot of work ahead of you.

pearlwaterdrops
06-28-2006, 02:15 PM
kilvano, ShawnStovall, thanks for responding;

I want the layers to remain unique, as each layer is exported into shockwave as a unique model;

thanks
dsdsdsdsd

Rayek
06-29-2006, 04:50 PM
You might try Polygon Cruncher. That'll reduce polygons on both all or selected layers. It's an excellent poly reducer tool and keeps the textures and borders intact. Though I must admit I'm not sure how PolyCrunch will handle 6000 (!) layers. It shouldn't matter, in my opinion. Free full trial at:

http://www.mootools.com/plugins/us/polygoncruncher/index.asp

Let us know if it works... And here I was thinking I had lots of layers in my projects.... ;-)

R.

habaņero
06-30-2006, 01:20 AM
You could solve this with an Lscript quite easily. Probably just a few hours study and you would be able to write the plugin yourself, I don't think you would find it too complicated.

faulknermano
06-30-2006, 04:46 AM
do you have to keep the layers? maybe you should just open the lwo, which will make all the layers active, cut and then activate layer1 and paste. then you can use QEMLOSS3 or Poly-Reduce.

pearlwaterdrops
07-01-2006, 02:23 PM
Rayek , thanks for the response; I may check it out; I hope to be able to build/write a solution myself; but definately I will keep it in mind;

habaņero, thanks for your response also; I have been learning Lscript over the last two to three weeks; the direct problem that I ran into is that Lscript does not have a method that gives access to the 'Reduce-Polygon' button; I believe that SDK might - but I have to learn C, I believe, before SDK is feasible;

faulknermano, I believe that you are on to something; it might be feasible to do this if I catalog all polygons from each layer BEFORE the paste; then hit reduce-polygon once; as long as the reamining polygons have kept their original polygon ID I can get them back to their original layer; I will have to find out about polygon identification in LW;

thanks
dsdsdsdsd

pearlwaterdrops
07-01-2006, 02:48 PM
Carllooper posted this on another thread regarding the ability to reduce polygons automatically in a script:

You might be interested in this:

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss3.html

I want to include it here for thorough-ness' sake;

dsdsdsdsd

habaņero
07-01-2006, 02:53 PM
Just in case, did you check "commandinput". Some commands are alledgedly available through this command. There is some discussion on it at the LScript mailing list archive. Could be you could fix it there.

faulknermano
07-02-2006, 12:25 AM
pearlwaterdrops:

meshedit("Reduce-Polygons");

however, i think you are using LW7.5, and i'm not sure if the meshedit() command is available in that version.

if it is available, unfortunately, you have to keep on hitting ENTER because it always prompt you for the settings. i am unable to find a native way to have LW accept the settings as they are and run the plugin. however, if you use autohotkey, you will most likely be able to program ahk in such a way to automatically input the parameters and hit ENTER for 6000 times. ;)

pearlwaterdrops
07-03-2006, 08:12 AM
faulknermano, I do not find meshedit() method in my reference, though there is a section on the mesh object agent; nevertheless I will see what happens if I try a meshedit();

habenero, I also found a cmdseq() while reading http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/qemloss3.html ;
cmdseq() also gives access to plugins; but like faulknermano suggested, getting the arguments passed to the plugin is another issue;

thanks
dsdsdsdsd