PDA

View Full Version : Face vector

Bidigam
06-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Hello I am new to this community, this is my first post, and what could be better than start with a stupid question?

I use LW7.5b.

in the image below there is that yellow face, but the line indicates what seems to be a vector (I dont know the proper name for that) and when I do a smooth shift, it follows that intermittent line. How can I controll that line, make it strait with the Y axis?

Thanks

Bidigam
06-28-2006, 11:28 PM
Please help nOOb :cry:

cobaltman
06-29-2006, 12:02 AM
That line is an indicator that tells you what direction the visable side of the polygon is facing. It is called the polygon's "normal", or something like that. Smooth shifting will move the highlighted polygon(s) outward based on the normal, which explains why it follows the line. It is supposed to do that.

I noticed that your viewport is set to a basic view setting. Try a different view. I'd try setting it to Perspective view to see where exactly the normal is pointing.

Also, you said that you wanted the line to follow the Y axis. Are you wanting the polygon to shift upward? You could try rotating the polygon to face the right direction or you could try Extrude tool.

If none of my suggestions help, you will need to tell us some more detail about what you are doing.

Bidigam
06-29-2006, 10:16 AM
Thanks :) I could make a workaround but I want to learn LW as a PRO :D and I want to know how I can move the face normal around. I tried rotating the face but it messed the rest of the shape. How can I control or rotate just the normal, also in the picture I provided it is in the front view, and thats all I want, to make the normal follow the y axis in the front view( that is just make it perfectly vertical).

Thanks

RudySchneider
06-29-2006, 02:02 PM
By definition, the normal is "normal" --- that is, perpendicular --- to the surface of a face. Consequently, you can't change the normal without moving the whole face. However, it seems to me that you should be able to accomplish what you're after by using Smooth Shift (and/or Multishift in 8.5) to produce a new surface, which you can then rotate without adversely affecting the rest of your model.

Bidigam
06-29-2006, 10:51 PM
lol funny avy; what I dont understand is why the "normal" is not perpendicular with the face? you can see in the picture, more than 45 degrees out...

mattclary
06-30-2006, 09:16 AM
Odds are the polygon is nonplanar. If a 4 sided (or more) poly does not have all 4 points in the same plane, that is what you get. Pull up the polygon statistics window and look at the list for nonplanar polys.

Also, try merging your points and removing any two point polys.

Bidigam
07-03-2006, 11:51 AM
Odds are the polygon is nonplanar. If a 4 sided (or more) poly does not have all 4 points in the same plane, that is what you get. Pull up the polygon statistics window and look at the list for nonplanar polys.

Also, try merging your points and removing any two point polys.

Ohhh I see it now nonplanar surfaces have messed up normals, ok I understand now, thanks :)