PDA

View Full Version : Superman Imax

Andyjaggy
06-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Well I went to see Superman last night. Not only did I go to see it but I saw it on an Imax screen in 3D. The movie in general was good, not amazing but good. I don't know how many people have ever seen an Imax 3D production but all I can say is wow! The whole movie wasn't in 3D, there were about 5 scenes done in 3D and they were amazing, the images would literally jump off the screen. I was expecting the old typical red and blue stereoscopic images with the cheap glasses but the Imax 3D is different. I am not sure how the seperate the left and right images, maybe with some sort of polarization, I don't know, but the results were impressive. Still amazing as it was I don't know if I could sit through an entire movie done in 3D, it would probably give me an enourmous headache. Anyway it is worth seeing if you get a chance.

DiedonD
07-01-2006, 03:25 AM
Imax screen huh....sounds fun.

Im thinking about the face coming out of the scene thing. Did you had any kind of glasses at all. How could they do that? Wasnt there suppose to be 3 projectors for things like that, and even then you would need smoke for the rays to detect something. Also you know how the smoke can be "controllable" and "smooth". So, whats the idea?

Skinner3D
07-01-2006, 06:12 AM
I am currently working with that type of stereo system to create a 3D fantastic voyage of the heart. It isn't nearly as complicated as diedond makes it and Andyjaggy is almost right.:D Our set up includes one computer with OpenGL and stereo capable motherboard. Two normal everyday projectors, one 11,000 dollar syncronization device, and one Z-screen. The sync device has a polarized plate in front of each projector. The Z-screen or silver screen reflects the polarized light and the glasses have polarized lenses so that one eye only sees the light from one projector it is a really cool system. :D

Bog
07-01-2006, 08:19 AM
IMAX stereo is used by having two polarised lenses, so you keep colour accuity much better - and with a much better stereo effect as well. It's cracking tech, I wish all movies were shot in IMAX. :)

Andyjaggy
07-01-2006, 09:30 AM
Yes of coarse you had to wear glasses. I figured it was using polarized lenses, I couldn't see how else they could make it work, and yes the stereo effect is far superior to the old cyan and magenta way of doing things, plus there is no color tinting. The results are amazing really. Imax stuff is just amazing, if the movie theaters want to keep in business and keep people from just staying at home and watching movies then I feel this is the way to go. It is an experience you can't get at home....... yet.

JamesCurtis
07-01-2006, 09:54 AM
I have a shutter glasses system at home here. I had figured out a way to produce the stereo image effect in my own Lightwave 3D scenes. The system works okay, but because the shutter glasses alternating blanking of left and right eyes at 60 fields per second, the light output is cut by 50% and obviously is not as bright as an unblanked image.

The nice thing about this is, the system cost me only about $80 a few years ago. I have only done a few tests with it but it does work.

Unfortunately, I don't have a 3D Imax Theater near me. We only have a Science Center with an standard Imax [no 3D].

Speedmonk42
07-02-2006, 10:40 AM
The sound of music had more stuff blow up than Superman. How many times can you catch something falling in a movie?

It would have been an ok movie if had been released before X-Men 1-2-3 and Fantastic Four.