PDA

View Full Version : 3 New LW9 Demo Videos

WilliamVaughan
06-27-2006, 10:36 AM
3 New LW9 Demo Videos:
3 New Demo Videos- UI Configuration, Content Directory and Load from Scene!

http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9_demos.php

RedBull
06-27-2006, 03:18 PM
Fairly minor features i must say, but Load from scene, and the content stuff
is ultra helpful for everyday workflow improvements.
So well done to NT for listening on that one.

One feature i have not seen demo'd is the HV Deformer,
previously Waterpool from TLU.
Any chance there will be a video of it's features and abilities?

BusyWolf
06-28-2006, 12:54 PM
[QUOTE=RedBull]Fairly minor features i must sayQUOTE]
They look great to me! I will not say they are fairly minor for I am fairly new to LW and now that I can take the tools I want or need and place them together in my special little folder, I will not be so confused.
The more user-friendly it becomes the faster I will master it and join the Big Boys!:dance:
Do not forget you were where I am at one time!
No offence I hope RedBull this is meant for all.
Just had to incorporate your first 6 words in my reply.:devil:

cresshead
06-28-2006, 04:33 PM
it's always good to enhance workflow's in a app..so nice to see these appear..
now doubt we'll get some star spangled wizz bang features once 9 is out and they can concentrate on the point updates

nerdyguy227
06-29-2006, 05:12 PM
I like the new feature of the auto-directory-creator, that seems very useful, but the branch thing I find sorta pointless

Matt
06-30-2006, 01:04 PM
Now if we can only have the preference panel in modeler consolidated like that!

ufo3d
07-01-2006, 12:56 PM
still waiting for more video on shading models that someone promised before

WilliamVaughan
07-01-2006, 03:21 PM
which shading models?

ufo3d
07-02-2006, 03:52 AM
well, they actaully didn't mentioned which shading model.
Someone from NT said they will release more demos of various shading models in LW9 later.
Anyway, I would like to see any demo about Kappa and Omega.

SaturnX
07-02-2006, 09:34 AM
A video showing off Sub-Surface scattering abilties, would be good.
hmm, why are those shaders in question called kappa and omega by the way ?
Im guessing they have a long mathematical history..

oh, and how will kappa and omega differ from one another ?

lardbros
07-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Well, these videos have made me grin ALOT!! At work i use a crappy batch file to create folders in the right directories etc, but this will save so much time having a content folder editing type thing. I love it.

Also upon loading scenes, having LW ask if you want to change the current content directory is brilliant... no more hassle every time you want to quickly look at some of your cool old work, and no more pointing LW in the direction of your image maps and models if you forget to change the content dir! YAY

Also, the load from scene tool! How many times have you gone to load part of a scene but didn't remember which layer you hid it on? (who on earth could possibly remember?) so you have to go back and check the model and then "load from scene"! I know i do it EVERY TIME i want to, so this is just perfect. I like these little workflow enhancements... they may be quite small, but they make a HUGE difference to people using the software day in day out!

Celshader
07-02-2006, 01:03 PM
A video showing off Sub-Surface scattering abilties, would be good.
hmm, why are those shaders in question called kappa and omega by the way ?
Im guessing they have a long mathematical history..

oh, and how will kappa and omega differ from one another ?

I can't answer the question about the names, but I can tell you what I know about the difference between Kappa and Omega.

Kappa is a "fake" subsurface scattering solution that works fine and fast on double-sided surfaces. It gives you the SSS look without the SSS cost.

Omega is a physically-accurate subsurface scattering solution. It needs an "air" surface on the backside of the polys (to tell it when it's leaving the SSS surface and entering air) and true-to-life substructures inside the model. If you use Omega on a head, for example, you should model a skull inside the head, because in real life that's what light encounters as it passes through a human head. If a skull is not modeled inside the head, Omega will shade the head to look more like a solid hunk of wax, because that is how a head would react to light in real life without a skull inside it to obstruct light rays. You should also use the Spot Info node's "Polygon Side" output and a logic node to give the backside of the head polygons an "air" surface with a different index-of-refraction than the normal-side of the head polygons. That way Omega will know when the rays are leaving the head and entering air.

I figure for day-to-day surfacing, I'll use the faster Kappa. If I need a physically-accurate SSS solution, though, I'll use Omega.

Captain Obvious
07-02-2006, 05:38 PM
To get good results from Omega, you could probably also use a texture map controlling the scattering distance, instead of actual bones inside.

SaturnX
07-02-2006, 06:42 PM
I can't answer the question about the names, but I can tell you what I know about the difference between Kappa and Omega.

Kappa is a "fake" subsurface scattering solution that works fine and fast on double-sided surfaces. It gives you the SSS look without the SSS cost.

Omega is a physically-accurate subsurface scattering solution. It needs an "air" surface on the backside of the polys (to tell it when it's leaving the SSS surface and entering air) and true-to-life substructures inside the model. If you use Omega on a head, for example, you should model a skull inside the head, because in real life that's what light encounters as it passes through a human head. If a skull is not modeled inside the head, Omega will shade the head to look more like a solid hunk of wax, because that is how a head would react to light in real life without a skull inside it to obstruct light rays. You should also use the Spot Info node's "Polygon Side" output and a logic node to give the backside of the head polygons an "air" surface with a different index-of-refraction than the normal-side of the head polygons. That way Omega will know when the rays are leaving the head and entering air.

I figure for day-to-day surfacing, I'll use the faster Kappa. If I need a physically-accurate SSS solution, though, I'll use Omega.

Kappa fake, check.
Omega, not fake, very physically accurate, and likes bones and meat inside creatures, check.

Your response hints at some interesting node routines.
Are you saying that a single polygon, can now have an individual surface on each side ?

Thanks for the reply celshader... it was most comprehensive.

Kuzey
07-03-2006, 03:35 AM
So by the looks of it, Newtek is no longer going with the official content setup and instead opting for the "easy setup"...where each project is the content directory itself?

It seems it only creates the basic setup, is there plans to allow custom subfolders to be created by the user within the official subfolders?

Eg. Project/Objects/Wips
Project/Objects/Final

Looking good.

Kuzey

Celshader
07-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Your response hints at some interesting node routines.
Are you saying that a single polygon, can now have an individual surface on each side ?

Yes. There is an information node (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=387850&postcount=28) called "Spot Info" that has an output called "Polygon Side." Using this information and a Logic node, you can assign different surface properties to each side of a double-sided polygon.

For this to work, "Double-Sided" must be activated in the Surface Editor. Otherwise each polygon will have only one side to surface.