PDA

View Full Version : LW to bf2 anyone?

wolverine1900
06-27-2006, 08:58 AM
Is anyone capable of writing a battlefield2-Exporter? There are Tools for Max, gmax, Maya and Maya PLE. Since I only own a copy of Lightwave 7.5, I am lost!

I did ask this a few months ago in this forum. Did anyone get his hands dirty in the meantime ? :)

Would be glad, if anyone could help me...

thx in advance

Dan_The_Man
06-27-2006, 09:38 AM
You could always export as a 3DSM file, although you have to triple polygons (^T with nothing selected, and it can't triple polys with >4 sides) because 3DSM files consist soley of three-sided polys.

Although if this was a perfect world every game would be made with LightWave anyway.

Adrian Lopez
06-27-2006, 01:36 PM
[...] it can't triple polys with >4 sides [...]Lightwave is perfectly capable of tripling polygons with more than four sides.

wolverine1900
06-28-2006, 04:09 AM
Hi all,

the problem is not to export properly textured and tripled polys... My problem is the absence of a Data-Format-Exporter, which includes proper hierarchies and correct Object-tagging as well as the right pivot poits.

Modern gameengines rely on modern FileFormats. Formats as 3dsm are kind of ".dxf" for gameengines. You can do it with 3dsm, but it is definitely not as comfortable as it would be with native gameengine-formats (...and if your gameeditor is able to import 3dsm... btw: the bf2-editor is not).

The bf2-Format identifies some important hirarchies and "uses" of a specific object (or part of it) by its nametag (e.g.: "Tank_Turret__RotationalBundle" identifies an object as user-controllable and linked via rotational joint).

Max and Maya did get their exporters... Lightwave didn't.

Now: any ideas/help?

greetings go to all

lux3d
07-18-2006, 02:56 PM
I'd be very interested in this as well. I'll keep an eye out for an exporter.