PDA

View Full Version : Raining bricks

Skinner3D
06-27-2006, 07:00 AM
:help: For part of my Lego scene I am attempting to make an object assemble from falling Legos. At the moment I am attempting to blow the object up and then run it backwards through some movie software. Anybody know how to do this?

Anybody know a better way to do this whole scene?

THREEL
06-27-2006, 09:36 AM
:help: For part of my Lego scene I am attempting to make an object assemble from falling Legos. At the moment I am attempting to blow the object up and then run it backwards through some movie software. Anybody know how to do this?

Anybody know a better way to do this whole scene?

What happens when you try to blow it up? Do the individual legos explode instead of just come apart? I know this might be tedious, but you might have to work backwards and physically separate the legos from finished model to falling legos. How many legos are we talking about? Also, I'm not up on hard body dynamics, but is there any type of a tumble command that can be applied to the legos, so you wouldn't have to manipulate all of the legos manually, and can you tell the explosion where to break apart the legos?

Maybe this will get the ball rolling.:thumbsup:

THREEL (AL)

Lottmedia
06-27-2006, 10:39 AM
Not sure where you will find this info, but I remember a car ad (Honda, I think) that did this very thing a few years ago. I read that they did it in LW and did it in reverse, like you're saying, and had the object disentegrate upward then play it backwards. I want to say the article was in 3DWorld but it's been a while. Maby you could find that info? Hope this helps some

Casey :cat:

Skinner3D
06-27-2006, 02:20 PM
Thanks to both of you.:thumbsup: I will post my explosion as is so you can see it.

Skinner3D
06-28-2006, 11:54 AM
:grumpy: Never mind my computer keeps freezing when I do the calculations. I can do the calculations fine with the default settings, but then it explodes too spherically. Here is a screenshot of the scene. Each color is a separate object consisting of 1x1 Lego bricks that aren't welded to each other. I was working only with the white object for the test explosion. Any suggestions?

There are 7,407 1x1 Lego bricks in this scene8/

ChrisPitts
06-28-2006, 03:38 PM
What kind of freeze are we talking about? Does it just lock up and not do anything, or do you get error messages?

Skinner3D
06-28-2006, 05:30 PM
It doesn't pop up any error boxes. It just consistantly hangs up on frame 48 of 60 during the test.

This is for the white object only.
I use a null object with a collision dynamic default settings except for a radius of 5

I set the null under the object and key it to wait until frame 30 and then it moves up until the radius is just above the object.

On the object itself I use a hard dynamic with most of the default settings. I just set the gravity to 2, set it to start by collision, and change both interaction settings to box. I will post a zip of the scene tomorrow when I get back to my good computer if anybody wants to play with it.

Would a wind effector work in this situation?:stumped:

SplineGod
06-29-2006, 10:00 AM
I would probably do it using techniques that I cover in my displacements and endomorphs CDs. Basically you can use an endomorph controlled with textures.
Heres an example:
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/morph_text.mov
The 'particles' are a single object with a single endomorph. Theres no calcuation time. :)

Skinner3D
06-29-2006, 03:41 PM
:bowdown: That is amazing. Almost exactly what I want except I want from the middle out.:D

I tried to upload the zip file, but both of my computers keep saying 'upload failed'. Haven't had this problem before.:(

SplineGod
06-29-2006, 10:24 PM
skinner,
Heres another example of the effect on some blocks.
This is done with a similar method to the one I mentioned previously.
Again its using no particles and a single endomorph.
http://www.3dtrainingonline.com/examples/blocks_fall.mov

Skinner3D
06-30-2006, 05:52 AM
:hat: I love your advertising style:D I am seriously considering buying your displacement CD, but it probably won't happen for a couple of weeks until I get paid again.

Skinner3D
06-30-2006, 06:06 AM
Just for kicks if anyone wants to try it. The settings are posted above.

For some reason my computer wouldn't let me up load the already merged versions of these objects. Here are the unmerged objects though. You have to push 'end' and set it to load from directoy. Output as single layer, leave as is once this is done. (Although most of you know how to do this already:) )

Skinner3D
08-07-2006, 09:14 PM
:o Just came back to this thread after a long interim, and realized that I never posted any scene or object files. Oops.

I have been following SplineGod's displacement tutorials. At the moment I am stuck on getting my morphs ready. Lego1 shows what I would like the base and morph to look like. Lego2 shows what happens when I take that and use background to morph. I know why this is happening, but I can't figure out how to get it right. Anybody have suggestions:question:

SplineGod
08-07-2006, 10:25 PM
I would post your scene file on my support area. I just sent you a PM. :)

Skinner3D
08-08-2006, 04:56 PM
:) Can't post them there due to size so here they are.

Anybody else can check them out as well.

Skinner3D
06-07-2007, 08:32 AM
:foreheads::D Talk about digging a thread up from the grave.

Anyway here is the final animation. (The WMV makes the colors look not-so-good)

Thanks to Larry for the training help, and thanks to adcbicycle and FreqMan from http://freesound.iua.upf.edu for some of the sound effects.

Amurrell
06-07-2007, 02:55 PM
For a smaller number of objects I put them where I wanted them to end up and keyframed that at the end of the animation and then moved the objects to where I wanted to start from (with a few timing offsets) and keyframed them at the beginning of the animation. During playback it runs "backwards".

Don't know if this is helpful or informative, but sometimes we forget that we have power over time in LightWave and we don't have to work in one direction.