PDA

View Full Version : Animation help LW and others

snowkid
06-26-2006, 07:49 PM
Hello! I would like to know by a proffesionnals point of view what should i do... I want to make a 30 to 45 minute long movie using objects i created in light wave then animated in Fragmotion what program should i use to do this? i have all the models i need and they have animations applied with bones... i just need the program to take the model textures and put it all togeather then say moove blue guy from a to b and run frames 1 to 15 etc... an easy program to use would be nice but if its hard i would like deasent documentation:O
these are my supported formats that my fragmotion skeleton can export to with out ruining the animations:
DirectX (.x)
Ogre XML (.xml)
Dark Basic (.dbo)
GameStudio A4 MDL3 (.mdl)
GameStudio A5 MDL4 (.mdl)
GameStudio A5 MDL5 (.mdl)
GameStudio A6 MDL7 (.mdl)
Poser (.bvh)
BioVision (.bvh)
Blitz Basic 3D (.b3d)
Quake 2 (.md2)
Half-Life (.mdl)
Half-Life (.smd)
Half-Life 2 (.smd)
Milkshape3D (.ms3d)
fragMOTION (.ugh)
fragMOTION (.arg)
Are any of these supported with lightwave?! be cause i would like to use light wave even thow im not sure how... anyways im a verry determined person... in the last 6 months i have learned alot about 3d modeling and animations.
Thank you loads for just having the patience for reading this :O

Snowkid <--- needs help!

Silkrooster
06-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Lightwave can only export to lwo, 3ds and obj. However there are some translaters available.
Deep Exploration (http://www.righthemisphere.com/products/index.html)
Accutrans (http://www.micromouse.ca/index.html)
Polytrans and Nugraf (http://www.okino.com/default.htm)
This is all I have for a list of translaters for now. Hope this helps,
Silk

snowkid
06-27-2006, 11:15 PM
Cool thanks! ill check these out, just one question do these export to LWO to from it towards 3ds? be cause i would like to be able to do this in lightwave.
Also can i use an already animated skeleton in lightwave and tell what frames to execute?

One last thing... can anyone post a tutorial on how to do this? like how to import all your objects and characters to make a moovie, then add special effects,... if none maby just tips anything is welcome:P

Silkrooster
06-27-2006, 11:43 PM
Best thing I can tell you is to look over the web sites as they do tell you which formats the animations, cameras and lighting will also get transfered. I have not used any of them, so I can not recommend one over the other. But it should get you started.
BTW, is this for a game or a movie? The formats you listed are mostly game formats.
I beleive all three can handle 3ds to/from lwo, but not sure on animations.
If you are trying to do an animated movie, you may be better off learning the animation part of lightwave, then when you need to fill a void, go ahead and learn another program if you need to.
For your first movie, I would think lightwave would handle most of your needs, with the exception of a good video editor and maybe a video compositing program.
Silk

snowkid
06-28-2006, 09:23 PM
Well thanks for the advice! im making a game with b3d files and i want to make a moovie with the exact same files soo that the game and moovie look alike... i dont want to film inside the game soo i wanted to take a program like lightwave or other to do particle effects and lighting :P anyways ill try out what you sujested if i got anymore questions later on i will post again... thanks again!