PDA

View Full Version : coriolis inconsistency

hdace
06-26-2006, 04:39 PM
Hi

I use a Mac for my work animating and some rendering, and a PC for almost constant rendering. Always goes well, edit together different bits in my editor, always match perfectly.

But I used a coriolis texture to generate a displacement map, and now they're not matching. Closer inspection revealed that Coriolis with identical settings looks quite different on 2 different platforms. Is there anyway to make them match?

I'm using 8.5 on both machines. The rapt plugin for the PC is around 30KB bigger than the one for the Mac. Is the logarithm for the PC different?

Thanks, Hal

RedBull
06-26-2006, 06:50 PM
Anything that's based on procedural or random type functions, has the ability to produce different effects on different processors or platforms.

Basically Coriolis for example takes a bunch of random numbers from a hash table, the FPU will have rounding errors which give slightly different results
depending on the processer used.

Generally a Mac will never match a PC for these things, and even AMD and Intel will produce different results.

Baking the procedural and using it as a map, is the only workaround that springs to mind.

hdace
06-26-2006, 08:24 PM
Cheers Bull