PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible - floating viewports (will I need to script it?)

99sproth
06-26-2006, 02:14 PM
Hi

I've been getting annoyed with Lw at work trying to produce some uvs for games. Basicly I'd like to be able to grab one of the viewports. (the one with my Uvs in and undetatch it from the program. Having it in a floating menu would make my life a lot easier.

Will I need to script it or is it impossible?

-Cheers

Si

Meaty
06-26-2006, 02:22 PM
I am not sure what you mean. Maybe you could explain to us what you need to do with the UVs.

Do you just want an image of the uv's? If so, the UV Imaginator plugin might be for you.

Hope this helps.

99sproth
06-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Sorry I wasnt too clear. I want to be able to put a viewport in a floating window. Like the surface editor, numeric window, image editor. etc is.

Im modelling game assets and having the perspective view, Uvs, top, front and left view open would be really handy. I hate constantly flicking between different views. I also put one view fullscreen and would like to be able to have my Uvs open on another screen and not have them get minimised.

Cheers,

-Si

Meaty
06-26-2006, 07:30 PM
Ahh, I understand now! Sadly, however, if it can be done, I don't know how to do it. I think there are a few 3rd party UV plugs out there that work in a seperate window, but I don't know if any will give you realtime updates in the normal viewports as you work in the plugin.

Can anyone give less of a mushy answer?

Sensei
06-28-2006, 01:44 AM
Quick answer: impossible ;)

Rayek
06-28-2006, 03:08 AM
Hi SI,

It's not possible in Lightwave, but you'll get the exact result you're looking for if you work with BodyPaint. It does mean buying another app, though.

When working with UV's, I open Lightwave on my left screen and Bodypaint on the right screen. Most of the time I tend to work with several views at the same time in Bodypaint (you can open as many views as you like, unlike Lightwave), so a model view on the left and texture view on the right.

Might cost a bit of money, but if you have to create uv-maps all the time, it'll pay itself back in no time. Besides, think of all the 3d-painting tools you'll be able to use!

Cheers,

R.