PDA

View Full Version : Media Studio Graz Releases VoluMedic™

Elmar Moelzer
06-26-2006, 12:46 PM
Media Studio Graz brings professional medical imaging to the high end 3D- animation market.

http://www.mediastudio-graz.com/volumedic/images/banner_image.jpg

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Graz, Austria – June 26, 2006 -- Media Studio Graz, a leading developer of custom LightWave plugins and 3D graphics software in association with Safe Harbor and NGC Corporation, today announced the launch of the first medical software based on a commercial 3D application, VoluMedic™ for LightWave 3D™.

VoluMedic is an add-on for LightWave 3D, the award-winning 3D software from NewTek, Inc. VoluMedic is so powerful and so well integrated into LightWave3D that it becomes a whole new piece of software for use in medical visualization, material science, forensic animation and even astronomy. VoluMedic is also a great tool for creating stunning visual effects.

VoluMedic allows animators to turn any sequence of images into a volumetric object that can then be rendered with VoluMedic’s blazingly fast software volume rendering in the highest (and to-date unseen) quality.

In addition to this, VoluMedic offers real-time hardware volume rendering for interactive previewing and scene setup and hundreds of functions for import and processing of volumetric data as well as tools to create geometry from volumetric objects.

“We are very excited about finally releasing VoluMedic to the public,” said Elmar Moelzer, Product Developer for VoluMedic. “This software represents over 4 years of research and development from a team of programmers, medical doctors and 3D artists. The combined power of VoluMedic and LightWave3D brings - for the first time in history - professional medical imaging to the high-end 3D animation market.”

VoluMedic enhances LightWave3D with the following features:

VoluMedic can import data from virtually any biomedical imaging modality (including MRI, SPECT, PET, CT, ultrasound, and digital microscopy). The powerful Importer provides direct and automatic support for reading most standard computer image and picture formats, including the DICOM standard for radiological images and the very popular Analyze format. Unknown data formats can be imported as well through RAW-data import. Support for additional image formats can be added via LightWave3D-Image-I/O-plug-ins.

Preprocessing of image data is possible through VoluMedic’s Slice Editor.
This powerful tool allows interactive pre segmentation, rotation, scaling and cropping of volumetric datasets.

VoluMedic’s “Scalar Object” volume objects offer a wide and comprehensive toolset for segmentation and coloring as well as settings to help defining the look in the final rendering.
The integration with LightWave’s Preset Shelf allows users to apply previously made settings and to store settings for later use.
A simpler version of the “Scalar Object” object control panel is also available, giving new users an easy start.

To guarantee an ideal image, even with lower res datasets, VoluMedic offers different interpolation methods that help to create clear shapes in situations where other imaging solutions fail.

Scalar Object settings:
Render modes: (Volume, Solid and Xray)
Interpolation (Nearest Neighbour, Linear, Bicubic2/4 and BSpline)
Color and Opacity Gradients
Luminosity
Diffuse Illumination
Specularity
Glossiness
Color Highlights
Shading softness
Sampling Distance
Shading Quality
...and much more

VoluMedic’s Bounding Boxes allow to show only those parts of the Volume Object that are within at least one Bounding Box.
A single Volume Object can have an unlimited number of Bounding Boxes which can be parented and of course animated.

VoluMedic offers highest quality software rendering with support for all of LightWave’s light types, offering a full integration into LightWave’s Floating Point render pipeline.

VoluMedic’s software rendering is fully integrated with LightWave’s Screamernet allowing network rendering with unlimited rendernodes.

In addition to software rendering, VoluMedic offers real-time OpenGL hardware volume rendering for previewing and scene setup directly in LightWave’s viewports.
Users can create additional GLSL shaders to change the look of the OpenGL preview.
Like VoluMedic’s software rendering, the hardware rendering has support for Antialising, Depth of Field and Motion blur (via Shift F9- hot key).

VoluMedic’s Surface Mesh Creation tool allows users to turn volumetric objects into polygon meshes which can then be manipulated in LightWave’s Modeler and later rendered with LightWave’s own Render engine or exported to CAD or web applications (only available in LightWave 9.0).

Pricing and Availability:
VoluMedic: Plugin
This version of VoluMedic is meant for existing users of LightWave3D who want to enhance LightWave’s toolset with the functionality of VoluMedic. The package includes VoluMedic Installation CD, Menu Config files and Manual. The suggested retail- price of VoluMedic: Plugin is 2,800.- Euros excl. VAT ($3599 USD).

VoluMedic: Complete
VoluMedic Complete includes one seat of VoluMedic and one seat of LightWave3D in a single package. It is meant for users that do not own LightWave3D yet.

The Package includes VoluMedic Installation CD, Menu Config files, Manual and the full package of LightWave3D. (Installation CDs, content CDs, Manual, Dongle). Please contact our sales department or Safe Harbor Computers for pricing information.

VoluMedic: System
A complete turnkey System. The Package includes VoluMedic Installation CD, Menu Config files, Manual and the full package of LightWave3D (Installation CDs, content CDs, Manual, Dongle) all ready to go on a high end workstation.

Please contact our sales department or Safe Harbor Computers for detailed hardware specs and pricing information

For more information or to purchase, visit: www.volumedic.com.
North American customers, please visit Safe Harbor Computers at www.sharbor.com.
Customers from Japan please contact NGC/D- Storm for more information http://www.dstorm.co.jp

About Media Studio Graz
Since the company's establishment in 2000, Media Studio Graz has been delivering high quality visualizations and custom software to clients around the globe.
In these years the company expanded its business towards developing 3D- animation software. After working with NewTek on delivering updates to LightWave3D, Media Studio Graz focused on developing add ons for LightWave3D to bring this software- package to markets previously uncovered by commercial 3D- software.
Media Studio Graz's clients include companies like AVL- List and Zizala Lichtsysteme GmbH.

About NGC Corporation
NGC Corporation is focused on Computer Visualization business in Broadcast, Media and Entertainment Market with market leading products such as Autodesk Inferno, Smoke for Non-Linear Editing Systems and Maya, 3dsMax for CG Tools. NGC Corporation’s mission is to provide best technology and services for contributing development for Broadcast, Media and Entertainment markets. NGC Corporation has merged with D-Strom, Inc. in 2005 and enhanced its unique business opportunities with NewTek LightWave and TriCaster.
In 1985, NGC Corporation had started its business as a joint venture companies with Symbolics Corporation, Nichimen Corporation and Toyo Information Systems to establish the Artificial Intelligent market with Symbolics Computer. NGC Corporation has evolved its business as a market leader in Video and CG market since then and current main business segments are Video Editing Systems for Media and Entertainment Markets, CG Tools and its solution for Game developers’ and Academic Markets, Sophisticated Media Mix Solution for Market leading corporation and Digital Cinema Market.
NGC’s good products, intensive technical services and its unique software development team are the basis of its business and can keep long and strong relationships with Market leading companies for many years for helping their ideas into the real.

About NewTek
With headquarters in San Antonio, Texas, NewTek is a leading provider of full-featured video editing, live production, presentation and visual effects tools including TriCaster™, VT[5]™, SpeedEDIT™, 3D Arsenal™ and LightWave™ 3D.

About Safe Harbor
Safe Harbor Computers is dedicated to providing animators, video editors, broadcasters, event videographers, and post-production houses with the products they need to produce professional results. A knowledgeable and friendly staff, coupled with Safe Harbor’s 18 years in the business, make them a first choice for buyers. Their powerful TSUNAMI™ Workstations are proving to be the system of choice, with high reliability, a strong testing regimen, and superior customer support. Safe Harbor Computers is a family-owned business, with offices in Waukesha, WI. For more information, please visit www.sharbor.com or call 800-544-6599.

VoluMedic is a registered trademark of Media Studio Graz (Rauter - Moelzer - OEG).LightWave and LightWave 3D are registered trademarks of NewTek, Inc. LightWave 3D is a NewTek product and is used by permission of NewTek, Inc. All other trademarks or brand names mentioned are trademarks or registered trademarks of their respective holders.

lesford
06-26-2006, 07:16 PM
Are there any royalty free sources for files to use with the plugin?

Les

Elmar Moelzer
06-27-2006, 03:22 AM
Yes, you should be able to find many free datasets on the web, or you can ask at science labs, hospitals or some veterinary clinics.
Medical facilities will often provide datasets to you for free, but they will have to anonymize them which means at least a bit of work for them(so be polite and maybe offer something in return). In our experience though these people are all very open minded and would probably be interested in using VoluMedic themselves. So chances are high that they will let you have datasets after a nice talk and a bit of explanation.
That said, some of the datasets we used for the pictures on our homepage were available for free download on the web.
So I think that it would be best to start there.
CU
Elmar

Dodgy
06-27-2006, 04:06 AM
Congratulations :)

Meaty
06-27-2006, 06:10 AM
Great stuff Elmar, it looks great. Best of luck to you! :thumbsup:

mattclary
06-27-2006, 07:47 AM
Congratulations Elmar! :thumbsup: Hope every hospital in the world buys a copy (or five)!

Wonderpup
06-27-2006, 10:13 AM
Hi Elmar,

Amazing stuff- nice to see it here at last. There's a couple of typos on the Volumedic website I ought to point out- in the FAQ about replacing Lightwaves Hypervoxels it should read 'extent' not 'extend' and it should be 'supported' not 'supportet' You need to look your best if you're mixing it with the medics you know!

Elmar Moelzer
06-27-2006, 10:20 AM
ooops, thank you for pointing that out ;)
CU
Elmar

WilliamVaughan
06-27-2006, 10:47 AM
Volumedic is an amazing tool that any user can be up and running in no time. Although it is not designed for anyone, and the price is set for only artists that need to do a specific type of work.

The video demo on the site really does walk you thru the entire process. I read the installation steps in teh manual but skipped the rest (sorry Elmar) as the video showed me everything I needed to know. I was able to create amazing looking work right away with free datasets I downloaded from online:

http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12664

The Xray images are my favorite (btw).:dance:

My neighbor works at a hospital and promises me I will have a large collection of data sets in the next few weeks. I plan to round up some of my older "medical Industry" clients as well as some new ones to do medical illustration and animation for them. I used to do this the hard way.

If you have any questions about using Volumedic please feel free to ask.

Congrats to Elmar and the crew on creating an amazing tool and I hope you guys do well for all your hard work.

ps- Elmar has been working on this for as long as I have known him. :) He was talking to me about this the first time we met and had beers together!

Lewis
06-27-2006, 10:49 AM
Congrats to you Elmar and whole team worke don VoluMedic. It really looks great.

Now get back to LW OpenGL, modeler needs some speed ;).

Verlon
06-28-2006, 05:03 AM
Wow.....I believe this to be amazing, especially with highly accurate scan data.

I do not have an immediate need for it, but I'll sure say its cool.

On the pricing page sheme should say scheme. :)

Just incredible.... Great work!

Elmar Moelzer
06-28-2006, 05:19 AM
Hu, it says scheme here?
Anyway thanks for the kind words :)
CU
Elmar

peter66
06-28-2006, 05:47 AM
As a 9 year veteran of a heart transplant operation, I "get to" have regular cardiac ultrasounds. I'm wondering, in terms of volumedic software, could you gather any useable data from an ultrasound?

Imagine a realtime ultrasound with the render quality of volumedic!

In the nearer future though, oh my god this would be awesome for doing freaky medical vfx!

Elmar Moelzer
06-28-2006, 05:49 AM
There are 3d- ultrasound scanners that produce data that VoluMedic can use :)
CU
Elmar

peter66
06-28-2006, 06:05 AM
interesting, can you envisage how a 3d ultrasound might typically translate to a VoluMedic render, compared to a CT Scan?

Also, if you used 3d ultrasound data for a VoluMedic render, would/could you retain its "hand held" point of view?

Cheers
Pete

Elmar Moelzer
06-28-2006, 06:09 AM
There are different scanners for 3d- US.
We are currently working on getting some good sample data to post pictures for our homepage.
Generally the quality of 3D- US- data is not as good as with CT or MRI- data due to the noise and the lower resolution.
The data import itself should not be a realy problem though if the scanner is capable of putting out DICOM files, which is the standard format for medical images.
CU
Elmar

Lamont
06-28-2006, 02:41 PM
Ahhh man, I've been waiting for this plugin to use at my old job! Now I don't work there anymore!!

But I sent them the link anyways, maybe they will buy it and give it to me for contract work!!