PDA

View Full Version : Capturing and cutting up a clip…

Kavik00
06-25-2006, 06:57 PM
Can anyone with a couple of minutes tell me the best way to cut a 1 hour clip up into a bunch of smaller segments. Yea, I could batch capture and put the ware on my VCR, but I’m thinking there has to be an easy way to cut your big captured clip up in to a bunch a small clips like we used to do on the old Amiga flyer.

Anyone…??

Jim Capillo
06-25-2006, 06:59 PM
Put the clip on the timeline, then either drag the timebar along or hit play and then "c" when you want to cut.

Done.

Kavik00
06-26-2006, 05:25 PM
I need to end up with seperate files that I can drop in a ProCoder watch folder to be converted. Any Ideas?

Gary

Jim_C
06-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Right click on each file on the timeline after you have cut it, and choose 'Render Selected Time Range' and render it to your flavor of choice. Then drop that into procoder.

(Jims gotcha covered)

:thumbsup: :)

Jim Capillo
06-26-2006, 05:39 PM
Also, can't you just drag the cut up clips into a new folder (or the same one) ?

Haven't done it, but I think I remember it being mentioned somewhere....

Jim_C
06-26-2006, 05:45 PM
Yea you can, but those would just be Data files for the VT to use. For internal VT use only.

I don't think they would do any good going into Procoder.

So actually rereading that would solve Gary's first question, but not his second.
Which I think he meant in his first also.

:stumped:
:)

Jim Capillo
06-26-2006, 07:44 PM
Yea you can, but those would just be Data files for the VT to use. For internal VT use only.

OK, so you'd still need to have the original clip intact, right ?

Jim_C
06-26-2006, 07:58 PM
Yea, the data file just points to in and outpoints in the original file.

Kavik00
07-09-2006, 10:56 PM
Jim, I will end up with 200 clips cut off that orginal clip that I need to drop into procoder. I guess I was hoping for a way to automate that "renduring" out part.

Jim Capillo
07-10-2006, 04:14 AM
Jim, I will end up with 200 clips cut off that orginal clip that I need to drop into procoder. I guess I was hoping for a way to automate that "renduring" out part.

There's probably no easy way around that....

PSegarra
07-10-2006, 06:45 AM
You can also play the clip on your DDR and record the output to a folder then click on the chop button to cut the clips.

billmi
07-10-2006, 07:28 AM
Yea, the data file just points to in and outpoints in the original file.

Worth a try though, to rename their extensions and see if the AVIWrapper will let ProCoder read them...

Jim_C
07-10-2006, 07:59 AM
Yea, good idea.

I was thinking if Procoder does accept avi wrapped files, then Gary could save all 200(!) clips as wrapped avis and load them. At least that is better than rendering 200 clips.

A batch encoder has been a frequent internal VT request.

jport
07-11-2006, 05:08 AM
3 ways, but they work only with DV files.

you can try Virtual Dub and select your clips & and let the batch render take care of breaking them up into smaller clips. just walk away. only problem is that the scene selection is manual. meaning your going to have to make the selections.

AVcutty. it's shareware, the free version has some annoying limitations like stopping in the middle of a batch process to remind you to Pay for it. the good thing is that it has an "OPTICAL" scene detection which will break up your video based on Video changes and not on Time changes.

the Best one i've found is Scenealyzer. it's not free, but it's worth every dollar. it also has "Optical" scene detection w/more "sensitivity" options. or you can cut it up on the timeline manually and let it batch processes the whole thing. the difference is, this is faster than AVcutty. faster than even VT when cutting up scenes.

the good thing is that all these programs don't recompress the DV file when it's rendered out. it sort of a 1:1 thing. you'll have to read the manuals for a better explaination than i can give.

wvp
07-12-2006, 10:09 PM
I suppose if you weren't married to procoder, you could use TMGEnc to do a batch encode of the VT data files.

mtruss
07-13-2006, 10:24 AM
This solution may sound like a massive amount of work however it only takes a couple of steps.

I have a program called ImTOO DVD Ripper Platinum 4. It rips a DVD into an MPEG or other type of media and separates each chapter into a separate file.

Now, this would require for the entire file to be rendered to DVD and chaptered. This can now be easily done with BobsChapterPoints plugin/TMPGEnc combo

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53416&highlight=dvd+chapters

Create the ISO using the chapter points from VT Edit, use Virtual DAEMON to attach and open the ISO as a DVD Drive (Without actually burning a disc) and then ImTOO to rip out all of your chapters into separate MPEGS.

Process Steps:

Bring file into VT Edit
Mark Chapter Points
Save File according to BobsChapterPoints
Process with TMPGEnc
Build DVD ISO
Rip DVD with ImTOO