PDA

View Full Version : What Music do you .... to?

Jim_C
06-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Seeing all the poll threads, I was wondering...

What music (if any) does everyone listen to while editing, modeling, animating etc....

I didn't become a pure Computer Geek/Editor till mid 20's and at that time I was a hard core Phish Head, so then it was nothing but.....

Now in my mid 30's it's net radio Jazz a lot. LOVE Brian Parker Jazz station on the net.
http://www.jazz-radio.fm/

Garage A Trois, Charlie Hunter, Little Dead here and there.
Still jam/jazz rock, just a little more mellow. (At times)

Anyone else...?

:boogiedow

Jim_C
06-27-2006, 06:05 AM
Guess this one wasn't debatable enough.... ;)

Just thought it would be interesting considering the range of folks and interests here. Plus I am always looking for a good new music turn on.

Alas.... :D

Skinner3D
06-27-2006, 06:14 AM
You probably won't get much feedback on this post.:D I think it is really up to you what you do while you are modeling.:D

Just for grins I have at least 15 hours of game midi music on my computer that I listen to.:dance:

Yog
06-27-2006, 07:03 AM
During the morning I like to keep it fairly low key. This morning it's been Feeder, Jack Johnson and Metalica.

During late night sessions I like something that thumps along a bit more.

Dodgy
06-27-2006, 07:13 AM
I like listening to eps of 'I'm sorry I haven't a clue' the panel game for those people who hate panel games, or The Now Show. Very very funny! Otherwise, a lot of comedy or drama radio stuff from the BBC website. Music wise, Kate Bush, Cyndi Lauper, Fiona Apple, Evanescence, Nat king Cole, Natalie Imbruglia, all sorts really ;)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.shtml?http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/index.shtml?button

jdtiX
06-28-2006, 11:03 AM
What music do I .... to?

Oh, a lil' Barry White here, maybe throw some Marvin Gaye or Luther Vandross in the mix. :hey:

ShawnStovall
06-28-2006, 11:31 AM
I like to listen to songs from The Phantom of the Opera. If not that a beautiful song from an old Anima show I used to like called Outlaw Star. It was the song played during the credits in the earlier seasons.

tyrot
07-01-2006, 06:49 AM
Dear JimC

I just got myself Entombed's new WHEN IN SODOM EP. I m JUST banging my head and trying to see the screen at the same time. It is Hard but i absolutely blown with their When in Sodom song. Amazing piece of brutal death metal. I was so soft lately underground etc.

rob zombie's new album is also good for poly moving, also i m re-listening my old Helstar CDs. If you guys wanna hear extreme guitar playing and amazing composition Helstar's Nosferatu is an outstanding effort.

ART!!!! LISTEN WHEN IN SODOM! amazing! Swedish Death Rules again!!!

BEST

Ark_of_Kaos
07-01-2006, 07:47 AM
I have a mix I play with my Sony Connect player. Usuall includes:
<"Song" : Artist>
"Wall of Shame" : Course of Nature
"Vicarious" : Tool
"Animals" : Nickelback
"Hellrider" : Judas Priest
"Going' Down on It" : Hot Action Cop
"Sun Doesn't Rise" : Mushroomhead
"Stricken" : Disturbed
"Welcome Home" : Coheed and Cambria
"Rollin' (Air Raid Vehicle)" : Limp Bizkit
"Ordinary" : Buzzhorn
"Happy?" : Mudvayne
"Fever for the Flava" : Hot Action Cop
"The Pot" : Tool

A decent little mix of various bands from mellow to thrashin' :D:jam:
I also keep myself going by drinking plenty of :caffeine: or :beerchug: (on the weekends).

I like to listen to songs from The Phantom of the Opera. If not that a beautiful song from an old Anima show I used to like called Outlaw Star. It was the song played during the credits in the earlier seasons.

Outlaw Star kicked butt.

Dear JimC

I just got myself Entombed's new WHEN IN SODOM EP. I m JUST banging my head and trying to see the screen at the same time.
BEST

Yeah, I used to listen to my harder stuff while modeling, too. I found that I really couldn't get much done with all that thrashin' :cursin: and head bangin' :bangwall: going on.

Omar.M
07-01-2006, 07:49 AM
I always, like always listen to ColdPlay, U2, Wu Tang, 2Pac, Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, and many other songs that Im not aware of the auther when modeling. When working in Layout or PS; I listen to Guns N' Roses, Pop in general and Hip Hop, to get the feeling out of me!!

Meaty
07-01-2006, 08:45 AM
I usually listen to this winamp station

http://mirror.candidhosting.com:8000/listen.pls

ercaxus
07-01-2006, 08:15 PM
I just realized most of the stuff I like is from Sweden:
Opeth
Dark Tranquility
In Flames
Therion
Arch Enemy

Also some other stuff from other countries
Blind Guardian
Haggard
Iced Earth

Also www.gothmetal.net has all of the above and more on the radio.

Other than that I like "I hate tou more than a flash web site" by Tyrot, and The game music from C64 games Myth and The Last Ninja.
Actually long time ago in high school I was waiting in the line to get a cup of tea and I didn't realize I was whistling, and a guy was like "playing Myth lately ha? so I know I'm not the only sicko.

Silkrooster
07-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Quite a variety here. Myself I like country. Most of the time don't listen to anything at all, but I am starting to get a collection from Itunes, so if I remember I may turn it on for awhile. My new computer has a fm tuner so, local radio is now an option, but I don't care for it too much with all the static.
Silk

Gyphon
07-01-2006, 09:48 PM
WOAH, Deja-vu here.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51206

kmaas
07-02-2006, 07:05 AM
Usually listen to the iRate Radio. It's an open-source collaborative filtering program that just goes out and downloads (legally) songs that it thinks you'll like from places like mp3.com.au. I love it! It gives me a huge variety of music to listen to.

I also have song TV theme songs (Inspector Gadget being one of them) on there, and I love game music (Super Mario 3, Bubsy, etc.)

kmaas
07-02-2006, 07:05 AM
I think there was another thread on this too (other than the one posted by Gyphon) - I seem to remember posting in it.

connerh
07-02-2006, 09:49 AM
Mogwai, David Gray, Dar Williams, Add N to X, Godspeed You Black Emporer!, Explosions in the Sky, Sigur Ross, Bonobo, Unkle, Radiohead, Primus... so yeah, pretty much anything.

Bog
07-02-2006, 10:00 AM
Commodore 64 game remixes.

No, really.

nukemodular
07-02-2006, 10:44 AM
www.deepmix.ru is my favourite :)

stevecullum
07-02-2006, 12:29 PM
Depends on my mood, sometimes its Metallica or Maiden, other times its Dave Gilmour (Pink Floyd) or perhaps some banging house or trance music.

Or I just keep quiet with my guitar at close reach for those modelling/animating breaks.. :jam:

LORDCHILL
07-03-2006, 08:57 PM
Pantera, Lamb of god, heavy stuff during the rare daytime stuff i-m doing, southern rock or family guy on my second monitor at night when i-m really doing some serious ploygon crunching. If i happen to be drunk, i-ll blast my own bands stuff till i-m sick of it (usually twice through).
TYROT, have you seen them live? They crush. A band i played with back in the day opened for them in Winnipeg on their WOLVERINE BLUES tour. Kick ***!! OOP'S, i just dated myself didn't i ? :rock:

Gyphon
07-03-2006, 10:38 PM
Commodore 64 game remixes.

No, really.

Bog... dude... you can't admit to that stuff and not show your age. My first computer was a Commodore VIC-20. Darn thing never even had a tape drive. I had one game (forget what it was called) that was a Space Invaders rip. I bought it for $300 brand new and sold it 6 months later for $50.

BTW, I listen to older Manson, Black Sabbath and Manowar when doing dark imagery and Sting, Police, the Heavy Metal album and other less heavy old stuff for allthe rest.

Bog
07-04-2006, 03:14 AM
*Laughing hard*

You think I'm worried about admitting to my age after admitting that I listen to some of the most niche, geeky electronica going? That I consider Press Play on Tape to be, like, an actual band?

Hey, maybe I'm not that bad after all! Though I'm taking a little soft metal on board at the moment. Mug of coffee, morning message traffic, Journey of the Sorceror. Smashing.

tyrot
07-04-2006, 03:40 AM
dear BOG

i have probably 1000's of sid files. Gosh i love Commodore 64 music. Ben Danglish is my all time favorite composer on Sids. Last NINJA aaah....super!

Dear Lordchill

I havent seen them live. actually i lost my interest with them after Clandestine ( i went into classical music) but this new EP reminded me my old deadly cool Entombed. Amazing work. But i will contact with their management, who knows i may try to do a music video for them ..pure Lightwave ...hmmm it would be great...

Dear Ercaxus

man you are making fun with me right:) you dont listen my music:) Actually just for all hardcore C64 + death/goth/heavy metal fans i should make something which includes both. It will be probably most weird music ever.

Metalized C64. (i have many good SID like sound VSTs ) Gosh. But lyrics. How can i put them together ? well ..i will try :) and link here.

BEST

LORDCHILL
07-04-2006, 05:52 AM
tyrot
Cool idea about the video.I'm sure they'd love it, as, musicians love stuff that is cool, represents them, and is most of all cheap(i.e. free). My band has me making us an animated backdrop. Simple, but animated none the less. A couple of the models i'm working on are actually in the gallery section, so feel free to check it out and critique.

Bog
07-04-2006, 05:55 AM
Actually just for all hardcore C64 + death/goth/heavy metal fans i should make something which includes both.

That would be these guys then. (http://www.machinaesupremacy.com/)

tyrot
07-04-2006, 06:05 AM
dear BOG

thanks for the link..man.why_ why? swedish fellas did everything and do everything so cool. MP3 s are lovely. Thanks thanks again.

And i still have hope for pure Death-C64 with brutal vocals ...i should do something before a swede growls with SIDplayer..

BEST

Darttman
07-04-2006, 10:13 AM
Nice avatar (lol)

jazz, and jazz fusion-pat matheny, acoustic alchemy, tribal tech,
instramental rock-planet x
and of clourse all most all types of orchestral
70's rock- steve windwood, black sabbith
dread zepplin...

art
07-05-2006, 03:27 PM
ART!!!! LISTEN WHEN IN SODOM! amazing! Swedish Death Rules again!!!BESTI've heard about the band, I'll definetely give it a try. I started listenieng to death metal only recently. I used to avoid it while listening other types of metal, but now I love it to.. hmm.. death.
I just realized most of the stuff I like is from Sweden.
I seem to like many scandinavian bands too. I discovered that part of the world (musically, rock/metal) only a few years ago.
Btw. I just bought Therion DVD a couple weeks ago. Good stuff. I saw them live in NYC not long ago. They must be unpopular in the US. I came to the show a bit late but still managed to stand 2 meters from the stage.

I think there was another thread on this too (other than the one posted by Gyphon) - I seem to remember posting in it.
I think this is a 3rd or 4th thread like this on NT forum + one on SQ

I like to listen to songs from The Phantom of the Opera. My wife loves the main song from the movie. I like it too especially as performed by Nightwish (new DVD out)

And i still have hope for pure Death-C64 with brutal vocals ...i should do something before a swede growls with SIDplayer..

Go on tyrot, you can do it!

klanderud
07-05-2006, 03:35 PM
I listen to the deafening sounds of high whining pitch of servers, disk arrays, econs, and fans.

The Wizzard
07-05-2006, 10:19 PM
For myself....
I boot up the second machine and load up Radio IO beat from the web. It's free radio station and they play some great electronic music and stream it straight in my RealPlayer!

art
07-06-2006, 08:35 PM
dear BOG
BEST
Got interested, my attempt (2 minutes long only)

http://www.artssphere.com/DeathBy8bit.mp3

Important Notes:
Vocals: not mine, http://ccmixter.org/media/people/mortoray
Guitars: I can't play, they are synthetic
Drums: I can't play, they are basic
Mixing: amateur at best
c64 sounds: I could not recreate too many. I did not have many good samples either
Composition: I am not a musician or composer so it might suck

Death metal vocals sound surprisingly good through a vocoder

enjoy or not

Ark_of_Kaos
07-06-2006, 08:47 PM
H*ll, yeah! Rock on, Art! :jam: :rock:

Silkrooster
07-07-2006, 12:08 AM
Art,
Not bad, I am not into that type of music. But it does have a good beat to it. I think I would like it even better with out the vocals.lol. The voice reminds me of one of those satanic movies.:devil:
Silk

tyrot
07-07-2006, 12:24 AM
dear art

COOOOLEST!
you saved my time! Man it is just cool. I loved loved it! ...

when you have time ...make more mixes...mate.

waiting new works!

BEST

art
07-07-2006, 07:20 AM
Art,
Not bad, I am not into that type of music. But it does have a good beat to it. I think I would like it even better with out the vocals.lol. The voice reminds me of one of those satanic movies.:devil:
Silk
That's understandable, relatively small % of population is into "heavy" music and even less like this kinds of vocals. The whole excercise was to create c64 sound (although I do not have pure c64 music here) with death vocals and see whatever comes out of it :)

Yeah, death vocals often (not always) have satanic themes or at least sound like they do. That's what used to scare me :chicken: , but now I don't care. I just like the music even if lyrics are not my cup of tea.

Ark_Of_Kaos, Tyrot, I'g glad you enjoyed it
I'm not sure if I can produce more of it. I have difficulties with creating music that is longer than a minute or two and does not sound repetitive.

art
07-07-2006, 07:21 AM
you saved my time!

I recommend that you still try it :)
It is fun excercise.

moremetall
07-07-2006, 10:42 AM
Metal, noting more or less ! (Trach to Deth)

Just now Inflame, Megadeth!

tyrot
07-07-2006, 12:34 PM
dear moremetal

man..you are from the CORE ...candlemass, entombed, in flames..
what the heck is wrong with you people..why you should do best metal music? why? God**** it

megadeth hmmm..peace cells but who's buying was good, so far so good was good. But marty friedman and his weirdo guitar solos made me go away from megadeth..:( but waiting for new slayer album eagerly...

Art, by the way please buy (or download :)) SABBAT's dreamweaver and listen the songs with lyrics. That guy wrote a classic, an english novel, He is amazing most brutal, most lyrical, most hard stuff. IT requires alot of listening. Dont give up at first.

Whatelse today i was Full with SUICIDAL TENDENCIES. Man i love mike muir. They will release new album soon.

Actually we should open a Lightmetalwavers thread:) , Lightclassicwavers thread, etc etc. it would be good to read recommendations on various music.

After i deliver the work i have, i will release couple of songs for Lwian. Man I have even song for LW 9 release...:)

BEST

last note: although i dont like black metal that much, Celtic Frost's new album monotheist is pretty black and cool. Fathers of black metal still darker than many new bees.

Ark_of_Kaos
07-07-2006, 02:28 PM
dear moremetal
Actually we should open a Lightmetalwavers thread:) , Lightclassicwavers thread, etc etc. it would be good to read recommendations on various music.

My Recommendations are:

Slayer, Lamb of God, classic Metallica (Burton-style), classic Megadeth, Exodus, Strapping Young Lad, Mushroomhead, Rigor Mortis, list goes on...etc.

LORDCHILL
07-07-2006, 02:50 PM
Those Megadeth albums were good, but Friedman wierd? That's crazy talk.:twak: As a long time metal musician, i and most real shredders i know, classify Rust in Peace as THE STANDARD.

art
07-07-2006, 02:59 PM
Rust in Peace is worth Dave Mustaine's weight in gold.
I could never get into Slayer. I like the music, I don't like the way that guy sings. But that's only me.
I think we just hijacked the thread with :rock: :devil:

Gyphon
07-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Okay, this zip has music I made with modplug, they are playable with winamp. these are really old dudes, but I still listen to them.

tyrot
07-07-2006, 04:34 PM
dear Lord Chill

ok ok .. i give credit to Rust In peace. But not friedman. I mean because the way he plays solo he killed Megadeth's miracle for me. But that is me.

Any there are many STANDARDS. And for me the STANDARD is REIGN IN BLOOD "slayer" it is the standard:) SOuth of Heaven even. Years Of Decay (overkill) is a standard TEstament's standards need to be mentioned as well. So standarts can be not so standard:) Even DeathAngel, Flotsam and Jetsam, Suicidal TEndencies man...For speed Nuclear Assault days "handle with care" ah glorius days of CD...counting money ...it is like ancient history.

and Dont hit my head! i warn ya! :)

BEST

Art that is good we have good metal heads here.

moremetall
07-08-2006, 08:15 AM
dear moremetal

man..you are from the CORE ...candlemass, entombed, in flames..
what the heck is wrong with you people..why you should do best metal music? why? God**** it

megadeth hmmm..peace cells but who's buying was good, so far so good was good. But marty friedman and his weirdo guitar solos made me go away from megadeth..:( but waiting for new slayer album eagerly...

Megadeth got me to start with music so they will allways be the nr 1 for me, especially Dave Mustain. Regaring Friedman, well hi can play but he moved megadeth to a more radio easy band and that was in my view (any many others) not the best move for the band. There are a lot of good music comming from that band and the lates CD proves that they are back on track.

Regarding the CORE, Candlemass, Entombed, do have them in my CD collection fore sure ! Especially Candlemass, heavy slow-moving , Entombed..not so much as for me the distinct guitar sound has to be there but I have some CD's from them ( you have to support local bands that are good as best you can, if you like it buy it !) :)

One other favorite of mine is Fear Factory, love the distinct palying, boot on guitars and drums. Also some other bands that still are in the CD palyer in the CAR (the only way to play high without geting bashing from my family) is Panthera, Mashinhead ,Meshuggah , Gamaray, Halloween , and some older Metallica. :rock: (and a lot more)

lilrayray77
07-08-2006, 09:47 AM
Anyone here listen to the good stuff like Cream, Jethro tull, Bob Dylan, CCR, and Iron Butterfly?

mjcrawford
07-08-2006, 10:30 AM
I don't listen to music while working with LW. I have a small (27") flat pannel TV next to my 3rd monitor, and an X360 hooked up to it, while working I put on a movie, when the movie is over, I stop, play Halo or something for a few minutes, and put on another movie.. repeat until done... I find that putting on a film in the same area that I am working on helps.. so if I am building a spaceship, I would put on a Star Trek DVD or something.. if working on a character, maybe the incredables... and so forth

pnelson
07-10-2006, 07:52 PM
Jim C,

Here is my list of stuff to listen to while working...

1. Smithereens - Jammin' rock
2. They Might Be Giants. Weird and crazy stuff.
3. The Smiths - Laid back and somewhat depressing :)
4. The Cult - More Jammin' Rock..
5. Dash Rip Rock - Jammin' Rock-a-Billy
6 Cowboy Mouth - New Orleans jam.

Notice that my listed includes a lot o' Jam. :)

tyrot
07-10-2006, 07:56 PM
dear pnelson

which THe Cult album? sonic temple? ceremony or early versions?

for me sonic temple is the ultimatte point of rock ..an excellent production lesson from bob rock.an amazing album.
BEST

pnelson
07-10-2006, 08:03 PM
Electric!!

That album has some of the best Cult songs including Love Removal Machine, Wild Flower, Lil' Devel, etc.

nthused
07-10-2006, 11:18 PM
I've been listening to a lot of Jason Mraz lately...that kid has a command of the english language...

Tzalaran
07-13-2006, 03:26 PM
40 Below Summer- both albums are solid

MachineHead, Ministry, Skinny Puppy, FearFactory, Ultraspank, Corrosion of Conformity, and Spineshank are what is coming from my laptop most often...

Guns&Roses, Slayer, Sepultura, and a few others make it there from time to time... to quote Dee Snyder, "if it isn't metal, it is CRAP!" :jam:

Brian Arndt
07-13-2006, 04:53 PM
Naruto OST (1,2 and 3)
Chobits OST (1 and 2 and Character Song Collection)
Trigun OST (1,2 and 3)
Bleach OST
Love Hina - Love Live Hina
Love Hina - Hinata Girls Song Best 1 and 2
Love Hina - I Love Hina
Love Hina - Okazaki Collection

Kawaii!! ^-^

ercaxus
07-13-2006, 05:02 PM
Cowboy Bebop and Kenshin have great music also. I highly recommend them(both the anime and ost) to anyone.
Narusegawaaaa!!!

Bog
07-13-2006, 05:16 PM
I think the main thing with music that I listen to when I'm wavin' is that it has to be instrumental. When the mouse is darting around and I'm pounding on the keyboard like it's the perp who killed my partner, I don't have brain left over to listen to lyrics. I have a mirror of the Command History splayed up against the inside of my brainpan, and I can't de-tune voices so easily. Instrumental stuff, though, I can just hook into the ebb and flow of it, and let it carry me. People who've worked with me a long time can tell what's coming over my headphones because of the cadence of my keystrokes and mouse-clicks ;)

I love classical, and I love things like Enigma and Joe Satriani. Pink Floyd I grew up with, and the lyrics are wound around my brainstem like the Nam-Shub of Enki,so that doesn't count, again it's straight-to-the-meat interaction without having to trigger my forelobes. But yeah... enough pontification :)

tyrot
07-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Electric!!

That album has some of the best Cult songs including Love Removal Machine, Wild Flower, Lil' Devel, etc.

dear pnelson

actually you are right.. Especially Love Removal Machine and wild flower was my pre-sonic temple favorites.

Especially the music video of Love Removal Machine..the make up and the hair of Ian Astbury is one of a kind...:) Thanks god i didnt see him in that white shirt after Sonic Temple stuff..

And for me ..Bill Duffy is the "Rock" guitarist. His technic and the musical taste is so unique..

Somehow later cult's after ceremony didnt rise any interest in me..

BEST...

art
12-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Sorry for excavating this thread, but I just wanted to say that recently I became a big fan of Sabaton, a power metal band from Sweden. I usually skip the genre, but really like this group.

cresshead
12-09-2008, 09:59 PM
i ususally stick a film on i've seen before on another pc next to my quadcore..though i do play music on occasion if so it's usually> new order, joy division, madonna, japanese female pop, kraftwerk or whatnot..ususally just put itunes on and let it play thru my collection.

Hopper
12-09-2008, 10:51 PM
I just realized most of the stuff I like is from Sweden:
Opeth
Dark Tranquility
In Flames
Therion
Arch Enemy
There was a great band from Sweden called "Pigskin" that I just couldn't get enough of. It's sad that they broke up. Now I don't even know if some of the members formed a new band. I sure would like to find out, but almost all references to the band have completely disappeared from the Net.

Stooch
12-09-2008, 11:02 PM
I have a couple of gigs of electronic, downtempo, acid jass, ambient, triphop, house and various other assorted artists on my iphone (dont worry i defaced the logo).

I must be an african american at heart (according to dave chapelle) because I love strong, well defined beats (and that other reason).

virtualcomposer
12-09-2008, 11:18 PM
It depends on what I'm animating but normally I listen to film music.

Iain
12-10-2008, 01:11 AM
I could listen to Fleet Foxes every day all day. I haven't bought a CD that's so perfect for years and it doesn't distract my concentration.

Dear Science by TV on the Radio is good too.

Cageman
12-10-2008, 01:27 AM
Planet X
Meshuggah
Metroid Metal :)

biliousfrog
12-10-2008, 04:36 AM
I've got everything from Dolly Parton to System of a Down, it depends on what mood I'm in and how bored I am of listening to the same thing.

Recent favourites include:
Led Zeppelin boxset
Alien Ant Farm's last album
Pearl Jam's back catalogue
Grant Lee Phillips - nineteen eighties...great cover's album
Sausage - Riddles are abound tonight

If I'm really stuck I can always listen to Elbow (prior to the latest album) or Catherine Wheel (used to share their rehearsal room, great band).

That's just for modelling, surfacing etc. I can't listen to anything whilst animating because it throws my timing out. There's actually a reference to that in the animators survival kit book, you can't possibly get the timing down when there's a pounding kick drum beating at 120bpm.

Matt
12-10-2008, 06:16 AM
This week, I have mostly been listening to:

Global Underground 2009 (Various Artists)
Snow Patrol 'A Hundred Million Suns'
Sasha 'Invol2ver'
M83 'Saturdays = Youth'

Oh, and some videos of 'The Joy of Painting' with Bob Ross! (I find his voice very calming!) :D

Ark_of_Kaos
12-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Nowadays, I listen to Chronix radio on the internet while at my computer.

flakester
12-10-2008, 07:20 AM
~That's just for modelling, surfacing etc. I can't listen to anything whilst animating because it throws my timing out. There's actually a reference to that in the animators survival kit book, you can't possibly get the timing down when there's a pounding kick drum beating at 120bpm.

"Animation is concentration" I believe he said, and a good call too. :thumbsup:

For those who like a little bit of ambient electronica, you might want to give Limbik Frequencies a shot...... http://www.limbikfreq.com/
or search for them on Shoutcast.

@Matt: I am of the opinion that if there is a God, it is most likely Bob Ross.

I'm off to stick another Peters And Lee album on.....!

flakester.

biliousfrog
12-10-2008, 07:49 AM
@Matt: I am of the opinion that if there is a God, it is most likely Bob Ross.

...I've got this weird vision of Bob Ross painting a beautiful world for us all and Banksy as the devil sticking traffic cones and shopping trollies in it.

I used to hire audio books to listen to, that's something I should start doing again. I found the hitch-hikers series narrated by Steven Fry really easy to work to. I've got his biography somewhere, I might stick that on later.

art
12-10-2008, 09:10 AM
There was a great band from Sweden called "Pigskin" that I just couldn't get enough of. It's sad that they broke up. Now I don't even know if some of the members formed a new band. I sure would like to find out, but almost all references to the band have completely disappeared from the Net.

You are right, I could find no references. The only one I found was about a metal band pigskin from Switzerland.

flakester
12-10-2008, 12:46 PM
...I've got this weird vision of Bob Ross painting a beautiful world for us all and Banksy as the devil sticking traffic cones and shopping trollies in it. ~

Now that is one fight between good and evil that I think evil would have verrrrrry little chance of winning.....

I know which voice I'd believe. ;)

flakester.

IMI
12-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Loud, obnoxious guitar-laden, narcissistic metal. ;)

And I don't mean that pansy, radio-friendly crap like what Metallica has become...

System of a Down has become more than a regular in my rotation, along with "artsy" and more melodic stuff such as Dream Theater and Rush - I listen to radio very little these days, usually only in my car.

art
12-10-2008, 01:43 PM
I listen to radio during the 20 minutes of my morning commute. They have this talk show that I like listening to. Later in the day they play rock music, the usual stuff. I usually switch back to CDs by then, once in a while i leave it on if a song catches my attention.

Regarding metallica, I actually like their latest album. :stumped:
System of a down also used to get lots of radio play. I like their first 2 albums the most.

IMI
12-10-2008, 01:58 PM
Regarding metallica, I actually like their latest album. :stumped:
System of a down also used to get lots of radio play. I like their first 2 albums the most.

I only heard that first radio-play song from Metallica's newest album. I can't remember what it's called - it's about 7-8 minutes long or so. I did like that - reminded me of their song "Sanitarium", or maybe "One" IIRC.
But I meant the wishy-washy years from 1990- until recently, I guess. I always had to grimace when people called that "metal", or even worse, when people thought The Black Album was the definitive Metallica. Like many former Metallica fans, I felt let down by them.

Yeah, System has had alot of radio play, surprisingly enough, but like all bands, most of the "better" material never sees prime time circulation. I really like what Serj Tankien has done on his own, too.

art
12-10-2008, 03:07 PM
I can't remember what it's called - it's about 7-8 minutes long or so.
Most of the songs on the album are over 7 minutes, but I think you mean track 4. This is the only song that I heard on the radio, probably because of the slower beginning.

But I meant the wishy-washy years from 1990- until recently, I guess. I always had to grimace when people called that "metal", or even worse, when people thought The Black Album was the definitive Metallica. Like many former Metallica fans, I felt let down by them.

I know what you mean. I must admit that I was caught in the 90's rock/new metal wave myself for some time. I gave up on most of it already, but I still like some of the bands. And.. the black album was the first metallica I ever heard. I heard about the band before (I think I entered HS at the time master of puppets was released) but I was "affraid" of metal back then, pity. I started listening to their earlier albums only recently. Justice is probably my favorite of them. Plus, I always seemed to prefer megadeth :)

As I said, for most of the 90' I listened mostly to what they played on radio or what they sold via BMG/Columbia music clubs. I resisted listening to non US/UK metal for a long time becasue visions of the band "Europe" were coming to my head. In early 2000 or so I started to expand my horizons and I'm glad I did. There are so many good artists out there, not only in metal genre, that it makes you turn off the radio almost completely. And I still see so much good material released in 90s that I was never aware of. I'm not completely against radio, I but I think the stations available in my area limit me too much.

I really like what Serj Tankien has done on his own, too.
Hmm, I was not aware of his solo career.

IMI
12-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Yes, I'm a huge Megadeth fan too. Mustaine at least stayed true to his roots, though his abilities improved quite a bit over the years and he did polish the sound up considerably. :)

Yeah, Tankian even went out on tour with his solo band last year, and some random appearances in spring/summer of 2008. Elect The Dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elect_the_Dead).

crashnburn
12-10-2008, 06:48 PM
Do you mean when they forgot who they are and did Load, Reload mnd Garage Inc? Metallica's new album rocks, going to see them live here in the UK in February.

Also listen to a lot of Pink Floyd, my favourite band plus Megadeth, Creed, Alter Bridge, Prong, Mudvayne, Slayer, Megadeth, Helloween, White Zombie etc etc, the list goes on.

IMI
12-10-2008, 07:27 PM
Do you mean when they forgot who they are and did Load, Reload mnd Garage Inc? Metallica's new album rocks, going to see them live here in the UK in February.

Also listen to a lot of Pink Floyd, my favourite band plus Megadeth, Creed, Alter Bridge, Prong, Mudvayne, Slayer, Megadeth, Helloween, White Zombie etc etc, the list goes on.

Well, since you're a Floyd fan, I'll take your word on the new Metallica album. Actually, I've already decided I'm gonna pick it up the next time I have to go to Wal Mart, which will probably be in a day or two. I don't like downloading music - I always want to have a CD.

You must be a huge Megadeth fan, you mentioned them twice. ;)
And I agree with all your other selections as well, particularly Alter Bridge and Creed.

Andrewstopheles
12-10-2008, 09:22 PM
I listen to internet radio stations on iTunes (PC version)- I switch back and forth between hard rock, blues, comedy, anything - depending on my mood. I like that I can change frequently since it lists lots of stations categorically.

crashnburn
12-11-2008, 01:36 AM
Yeah IMI, I like Megadeth, although I think there older stuff is their better stuff, Rust in Pieces, Peace Sells....But Who's Buying, So Far So Good So What. Their later stuff is not bad, but not the same band to me.

ercaxus
12-11-2008, 10:12 AM
In Flames was in NYC last sunday. It was good.
I used to like Megadeth a little bit. I listened to Countdown to Extinction album way too many times but they sucked live. I saw them twice on their Gigantour and both times we walked out of the show in like 10 minustes after they started playing. Some noname bands had better stage presence and sound systems, or I am deaf.

crashnburn
12-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I can't wait to see Metallica in February. The last time I saw them live was back in 1993 when they toured with the black album. The only thing that sucked about that was they had no supporting band over here in the UK so we spent 30 minutes watching a video on a huge screen. But when they came on stage they made up for it.:rock:

IMI
12-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Nah, Rust in Peace was Megadeth's best album, by far. :)

I saw Metallica at the top of their game, in 1988 at the Monsters of Rock show in Tampa, Florida, in the stadium. Van Halen was the headliner, but it was also The Scorpions, Metallica, Dokken (puke, gag, retch!) and... someone else I can't remember now, some one-hit wonder opened it all.
Metallica was excellent, of course, but.. IMO, The Scorpions blew everyone away, including Van Halen.
I think I saw Megadeth somewhere once but I can't remember.

Hopper
12-11-2008, 05:13 PM
You are right, I could find no references. The only one I found was about a metal band pigskin from Switzerland.
Yup. I found them too and immediately realized they were not the same - not very good either.

crashnburn
12-11-2008, 06:48 PM
Yeah, Scorpions, forgot about them, arrgghhhhhh! Good at knocking out really rocking, chugging, Anthemy songs.

IMI, any plans to see Metallica on this tour for Death Magnetic?

IMI
12-11-2008, 07:02 PM
Looks like they're in Europe for most of 2009, according to their tour schedule on their website, and nowhere near me in Florida for the rest of this year and into February.
I'd go see them again, yeah, but I haven't bought their new album yet.

Hopper
12-11-2008, 07:11 PM
My "basic" list generally includes:

Joe Bonamassa
Jeff Beck
Robin Trower
Jimi Hendrix
Albert King
Big Jack Johnson
Stevie Ray Vaughn
John Butler Trio <--good shlt
Chris Duarte
Buckethead
Tchaikovsky

My "I'm in a weird mood" list includes:
Cake
Arctic Monkeys
Inubus
Gary Numan
Attrition
Fink
Howie Day
Blues Saraceno
Gary Hoey
Michael Schenker

... and Primus / Reef .. anytime.

IMI
12-11-2008, 07:38 PM
Yeah, Hopper, I hear ya. I like all those too, particularly Hendrix.
I don't know, though. I'm 43 and have been hearing all that stuff for as long as I can remember, and years of classic rock radio stations playing it all over and over and over again really burned me out on much of it. Not necessarily the specific tunes, but just the overall 70's rock sound, if that makes sense.

Well, except for the Tchaikovsky of course. ;)

I can't seem to get burned out on the metal though, and stuff like Dream Theater with the incredibly amazing John Petrucci on guitar, and other guitar god stuff such as anything by Vai or Satch.

I love to put on some heavy, driving stuff though to get amped up. One of my current favorite tunes is by Nonpoint - Bullet With a Name On it. Nothing fancy, but quite heavy at extreme volume, with the bass up to max.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=dOO4VZeH4-g
Something seems wrong with that video though - it stops less than a minute into it

I pretty much like everything, rock-wise, though, except for all that sappy hair band stuff from the 80's.

Hopper
12-11-2008, 07:53 PM
I pretty much like everything, rock-wise, though, except for all that sappy hair band stuff from the 80's.
If I had the money Bill Gates does, I would have virtually every piece of "rock" music produced in the 80's systematically removed from the planet.

As far as the 70's sound... I hear ya. You gotta move on and leave it alone for a while. I'll usually catch all the "off" tunes from those days. The stuff you never heard on the radio. If you get a chance to hear some of Robin Trower's long drawn out songs, he's got some gorgeous guitar going. Last year, my wife bought me a signature series Trower Stratocaster for our 15th anniversary. I don't think I've gone a day without playing it... but too bad I don't sound anything like him, or I definately wouldn't be sitting here trolling the forums.. :)

Iain
12-12-2008, 03:35 AM
I was reminded last week of how great the Stone Roses first album was.
I hate to dwell on the past as far as music is concerned but certain things are untouchable.
John Squire (like the Smiths' Johnny Marr) was an amazing guitarist and they both knew not to let it take over the music. I hate all that overblown guitar god stuff.

Think I've played it about 9 times since I dug it out.

Lightwolf
12-12-2008, 03:37 AM
Think I've played it about 9 times since I dug it out.
I never stopped playing it ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Medi8or
12-14-2008, 11:49 AM
Depends on the mood; sometimes classical music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wNS7uqu1hk), sometimes classic Rock'n Roll (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UesqTlVcZAw), sometimes even music from one of those latin fellows.. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQAj5CBMGo)

I often play Tom Waits, Nick Cave, Nick Drake, Leonard Cohen, and Antony and the Johnsons (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1MDlMdu2gjw), Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, David Bowie, The Doors.. But there's a lot of good music I seldom play, like Buena Vista Social Club (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INkLVwtIr_I), uilleann pipes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aF3fW4Nox9U), or Andean music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04w2SEptL9g)...

Hopper
12-14-2008, 08:50 PM
Since we all tend to have somewhat of a large range of tastes in our musical preferences, maybe a better question would be... "what would refuse to listen to while...".

My list is extremely short on that subject.

1) Country
2) Opera

The only 2 I don't listen to... ever.

Iain
12-15-2008, 01:17 AM
maybe a better question would be... "what would refuse to listen to while...".

X-Factor style bilge. The only type of music that I actually hate, especially those idiots that try to see how many notes they can add onto the end of every word.
The winner of our latest 'spectacular' is currently murdering Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah to the delight of the great musically unwashed.

IMI
12-15-2008, 02:45 AM
Rap/Hip-Hop
Country
"Muzak"

"Muzak" especially, like what you hear in the grocery and department stores - elevator music. It just ruins everything it touches, even if it was something good to begin with.
I can tolerate country because I'm in alot of situations where I have to deal with it and I've learned how to tune it out. Rap and Hip-Hop just grates on my nerves.

glebe digital
12-15-2008, 03:28 AM
X-Factor style bilge. The only type of music that I actually hate, especially those idiots that try to see how many notes they can add onto the end of every word.
The winner of our latest 'spectacular' is currently murdering Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah to the delight of the great musically unwashed.

+1
Thank goodness........I thought I was alone. :)

-EsHrA-
12-15-2008, 03:28 AM
yes :

-venetian snares
-aaron spectre
-flashbulb
-squarepusher
-killimanjaro dark jazz ensemble
-photek
-autechre
-afx
-etc.

no :

- top 40 crap
- rap
- pop
- country
- rock n roll
- etc.

biliousfrog
12-15-2008, 04:42 AM

I despise everything that X-factor stands for but, from very early on (thanks to my gf forcing me to watch it in a clockwork orange fashion), I thought that she was phenomenal, the only person I've ever seen on a show like that that I thought was worthy of having a career in the music industry. Not just because she was faultless throughout or because she didn't make out that she was poor or her life would be destroyed if she got kicked off but also because she had got off her arse and tried to do it on her own first. She had performed with some fairly big names as a backing singer and I thought deserved a break...unlike everyone else that I've ever seen on there that joins the show because they're too bloody lazy or talentless to do it the hard way. Good luck to her!

You should be thankful that the boyband or the leprechaun didn't win, they would have murdered the song...well, the boyband did, it was horrendous.8/

The best version of the song I ever heard was by Rufus Wainright...beautiful.

What won't I listen too?...um, not a lot... typical chart stuff and european techno.

Iain
12-15-2008, 04:56 AM

I agree with that although John Cale did an amazing version too.

I hear what you're saying about the winner but what gets me is that, yes, she can sing but she's just not distinctive in any way. Does that matter? I don't know-obviously not.
Hrumph.

flakester
12-15-2008, 05:16 AM

I agree with that although John Cale did an amazing version too.

Agreed. They both did the original a decent justice.

biliousfrog
12-15-2008, 05:47 AM
I hear what you're saying about the winner but what gets me is that, yes, she can sing but she's just not distinctive in any way.

well, no...but from a marketing view 'different' is risky which is why a great singer-song writer can spend their life in obscurity whilst a teenage bimbo can be a megastar. It would be excellent to stick some lesser known artists through the audition process to see how they get on. I doubt that they'd even get through the 3 auditions prior to seeing the judges.

BTW, just listened to the cohen version, yep, probably my favorite now, thanks.

glebe digital
12-15-2008, 06:15 AM
Jeff Buckley's version gets my vote. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AratTMGrHaQ

kingofdcp
12-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Rock and symphony ;))

RollerJesus
12-15-2008, 11:36 AM
I've been listening to Pandora on a station created around The New Deal a lot when I work in LW lately. Easy to not focus on...

tyrok1
12-15-2008, 11:39 AM
Currently listening to this:

http://www.last.fm/listen/globaltags/pixar

biliousfrog
12-16-2008, 03:07 AM
Currently listening to this:

http://www.last.fm/listen/globaltags/pixar

wow, nice find!

Stooch
12-16-2008, 04:40 AM
I like to .... while listening to cinematic orchestra!

BeppeTurbo
12-16-2008, 08:56 AM
Metal mostly:
Iron Maiden
Motörhead
Volbeat

Mats