PDA

View Full Version : UV mapping looser.

Lunar Unit
06-23-2006, 02:22 PM
I am very inexperienced with UV mapping and have made feeble attempts to UV map my character's hair. Any suggestions? Tutorials perhaps? I want to keep it simple and add a few lines to her hair, but keep it cartoony. I thought about using bandsaw and creating more geometry to push and pull some lines in the hair, but very costly on rendering. Don't know yet.

cobaltman
06-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Was you the one who posted that one thread about "bad hair day" or something like that? When you create a UV map, set one of your viewports to UV Texture view. It will look a lot different than your other views and will show "U and V" instead of "X, Y and Z". The pull-down that normally has things like Smooth Shade, Wireframe, etc will be blank. Click on it to load an image into the view. You will also see lines and points of your object.

This view doesn't affect your object shape-wise. Instead, what you do here is "align" your points to the image using the move option. The way you position the points will effect how the UV looks on the object.

THREEL
06-23-2006, 11:14 PM
Hey Lunar,

THREEL (AL) here. I just posted to your thread on bad hair day! Check it out. I didn't worry about UV Mapping as much as Bump Mapping. I think that's where you want to focus your hair solution, surfacing. Although, you can probably use UV Mapping to fine tune the surfacing on her hairstyle.

Bump Mapping or UV Mapping or both, only your hairdresser knows for sure. LOL!!!!! C U L8R! THREEL (AL)

cobaltman
06-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Sometimes, I think I'm too "wordy" in my explanations, so I provided a sample for you to practice with. This zip file has a folder with a pic, an object and a scene. Extract it to your Desktop.

This will be a tutorial. First, open the scene and you will see a flat, grey object. Render it. See the bump-mapping? Go to Surface Editor and click on the T button next to Bump. You will see that a UV was used. This object has a UV map and we will play with it in the next part of my tutorial. For now, go back out and click on the T next to Color in Surface Editor. Change the projection to UV, select the UV map called Test and open the pic provided. Render again and you will see the pic and the bump together.

Now let's alter the UV in Modeler. Load the object in modeler and switch the view in one of the viewports to UV Texture view. Set another viewport to Perspective view and use Texture or Textured Wire for it. At the bottom of modeler, click the T button and select the "Test" UV from the list next to the buttons. The object's wireframe will appear in the UV Texture view when you do this.

Next, go to Surface Editor and apply the UV and image to Color like you did in Layout. The viewport that was set to Perspective and Texture will now show a skin on the object.

In the UV viewport, select a point and use the move command to move it. Watch how the skin changes when you move the point. The image seems to stretch and bend, doesn't it?

Lunar Unit
06-24-2006, 09:13 AM
Hey thanks! i shall give the tutorial a try. I've tried a couple differnt ones with no success. I'll let you know how it works. And yes, you caught me! :foreheads I posted bad hair day. Sometimes being pretty new to things in lightwave, I get a lttle frantic and forget I've already posted somewhere. Ooops. Thanks again.

cobaltman
06-24-2006, 10:36 AM
Okay, cool. Don't worry, it doesn't take too long to figure out UVs. A lot of things I had to figure out on my own because textbooks were confusing sometimes. I learned a lot about textures and surfaces so far, even though I don't know crap about making a good model.:D

If you are still having problems after a while, send a copy of the object to this thread, and I'll see if I can make a UV for it and send it back.

Lunar Unit
06-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks! I really appreciate that. I probably won't get to it for a couple of days, though, just to let you know. But I will definately try it. Thanks again!

By the way, when I post something to this thread even ifit is a few days old, do you get an email or something? I thinks that's why I started a new thread 'cause I thought they sort of expired or got old or something.

cobaltman
06-25-2006, 01:32 PM
No. You don't get e-mails when posting forums. I don't see any real need for it, anyway.